DVD player TV

rebric

24 minutes ago, rebric said:

Do the TV’s in the cabins have a place to insert a disc to watch a movie?

I haven't seen that on any cruise line TV.  Also, if you try the HDMI or other inputs you will find that you won't be able to change the input source using the buttons on the TV and the remote doesn't have an input button.  Sometimes you can use a universal remote to change the source, but often that is also blocked.  Another option that often works is just unplug the data cable from the back of the TV (the one that looks like a phone cable).  With that unplugged you should be able to change the input using the TV buttons or universal remote.  Then just watch DVDs or movies downloaded to your laptop or any other device through the HDMI input.

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

No, I don't think I've ever seen a TV in general where you insert a DVD let alone a cruise ship. 

I had one back in the early 00's. Now with DVDs becoming antiquated and a thing of the past, I don't think you will see them now. That would be like looking for a TV with a VCR built in. 

• Haha 2

As others mentioned, no combo units and no inputs are enabled or present on the cabin monitors.

As far as watching movies, however - many of the ships have an on demand set of movies with both free and for a fee selections.

Found advice on the internet before my last cruise about using the universal remote to change input so decided to try it.  Had all the cables, plugged into the HDMI input (I was on the Elation) and got the right codes for the TV.  Although I could access the TV menu (for the TV, not the menu that Carnival provides), I could not change the input.  So it appears that they really do have them disabled and not just relying on not providing an easy way for everyone to change inputs.  Maybe another ship would not have them turned off but since it says they are turned off on the Carnival website, I tend to believe that all of them are that way.  I wish that they would at least provide a way to activate AirPlay or something similar that would not require having to change the inputs and stuff.  Just a channel that would accept AirPlay.  When the guest left, there would be nothing that to be reset or otherwise changed like it would have to be changed with being able to change the input source.  

Note that the channels available are mainly what you could get on Discovery+ and CBS news.  There are movies on demand, some free and some pay.  

I had the internet package on the Elation in December and not only could I not stream anything, I could not play internet games or anything that require more bandwidth and basically e-mailing.  Talked with a lady in Guest Services who said that even the crew's highest level of internet would not support streaming music or video.  Oddly though, I could play YouTube for some reason?  She also explained that the newer ships have more bandwidth so I imagine Horizon, Mardi Gras and the like might be able to support streaming.  

Downloaded movies to my laptop and watched them on my down time. 

But to answer your question, none of the Carnival ships I've been on have TV's that you can change the settings. So, there's no point in plugging anything to the HDMI input.

The HDMI input may indeed be disabled. I have never tried it.

However, I bring movies and TV shows on a USB stick that I will play on my computer. Just for giggles, I popped it into the USB input on my TV on the Magic last month. When I did this, there was an on-screen prompt to use the USB stick.

So for the entire cruise I was able to watch my movies and TV shows right on the in room TV set.