Viking Homelands 2022 Season

NeilP57

Currently on board Viking Jupiter. We submit a spit test every morning but do not receive a result. The presumption is that we will be notified only if we test positive. We have not heard that anyone has tested positive. All staff were masks, but fewer than 20% of passengers wear masks in common spaces and on bus tours. Viking enforces the daily testing policy but not the mask policy.

From our cruise a few months back, our understanding is that Viking only has to inform the passengers when there are 2 or more cases of Covid.  You can also go to Guest Services and talk to them.  Our understanding is that if you ask they must inform you.  On our cruise, the Captain did a ship wide - including staterooms - announcement of the covid cases.  This requirement to inform may however be dictated by the region or seas that your Viking ship is sailing, or by the CDC...  I don't know.  All I know is this is what we were told on our ship in December.

Edited by CDNPolar

6 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We were on the Jupiter in April and there were no Covid announcements of any kind at any time. There were at least 14 people quarantined.

Is there any data on whether covid infections on Viking cruises are first time infections for the passengers involved?

2 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Is there any data on whether covid infections on Viking cruises are first time infections for the passengers involved?

I would think there is, but I don’t know how the public can access it.

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We were on the Jupiter in April and there were no Covid announcements of any kind at any time. There were at least 14 people quarantined.

Then this must have something to do with the region that you were sailing in or the CDC requirements?  The Viking ship we were on in December, the Captain made a ship wide announcement about the number of Covid cases.  We talked with Guest Services and were told that the Captain must make an announcement when the number surpasses 1 case as 1 is not an outbreak, but 2 is.    Beyond that point, I am not sure if the Captain has to keep informing you or not.

• Like 1

On the Viking Jupiter, on our way from Copenhagen to Germany this morning. I asked a woman at Guest Services whether anyone had tested positive since the cruise began, and she answered, "several."  She said all were doing fine -- mild or no symptoms. She added that Viking had recently changed its isolation policy after a positive test from 10 days of strict isolation to two consecutive negative tests. By the way, announced total number of passengers is 544.

28 minutes ago, Beaudy said:

On the Viking Jupiter, on our way from Copenhagen to Germany this morning. I asked a woman at Guest Services whether anyone had tested positive since the cruise began, and she answered, "several."  She said all were doing fine -- mild or no symptoms. She added that Viking had recently changed its isolation policy after a positive test from 10 days of strict isolation to two consecutive negative tests. By the way, announced total number of passengers is 544.

Interesting statement by Guest Services - but two negative tests might be hard to come by. Due to the sensitivity of PCR tests, it's not uncommon for people to test positive well after they are past the infectious stage. That's the reason for the 90-day "recently recovered" window.

That said, I take this as a positive indication that Viking is showing some willingness to adapt its policies to the ever-shifting pandemic landscape.

Enjoy your trip! 🍺🥌

We are booked on the Viking Homelands in late August and need some advice on getting foreign currency for tipping our tour guides and bus drivers. On this cruise we'll be in countries with 5 different currencies (Norwegian Krone, Danish Krone, Swedish Krona, Polish Zioty, and Euro). In the past we've ordered foreign currency from our local bank but unfortunately none of the banks in our town will do this anymore. We don't have any credit cards that will sell foreign currencies and ship to your home. We plan to use the ATM's in Norway as we will be there several days. However, in the other countries we are visiting we'll mostly be there one day so we'll only need a relatively small amount of local currency cash for tipping. Does anyone have any suggestions of reputable sites online to order foreign currency with a decent exchange rate? As a last resort we could tip in USD in the countries we're only visiting for a day but I would like to give our guides and drivers tips that they could easily use without having to exchange them. Any advice or tips are appreciated!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jss5200 said:

We are booked on the Viking Homelands in late August and need some advice on getting foreign currency for tipping our tour guides and bus drivers. On this cruise we'll be in countries with 5 different currencies (Norwegian Krone, Danish Krone, Swedish Krona, Polish Zioty, and Euro). In the past we've ordered foreign currency from our local bank but unfortunately none of the banks in our town will do this anymore. We don't have any credit cards that will sell foreign currencies and ship to your home. We plan to use the ATM's in Norway as we will be there several days. However, in the other countries we are visiting we'll mostly be there one day so we'll only need a relatively small amount of local currency cash for tipping. Does anyone have any suggestions of reputable sites online to order foreign currency with a decent exchange rate? As a last resort we could tip in USD in the countries we're only visiting for a day but I would like to give our guides and drivers tips that they could easily use without having to exchange them. Any advice or tips are appreciated!!

If your local banks don't provide that service you could try one of the exchange brokers.

Knightsbridge FX Inc is one that I follow. I expect they also operate in the US. Normally they transact large sums, but I believe they will also consider small amounts, just don't know how small.

• Like 1

Re: tipping. I see most people handing the guides U.S. $5's and $10's, so I think the guides must be  used to receiving U.S. currency from Viking travelers. I tipped with Euros in Germany because I had some.

Re: ports of call:

Gdansk - charming city, mostly rebuilt after WWII in Dutch style. Very interesting history, including first city invaded by Hitler, marking start of WWII (9/1/1939). Amber capital of the area (we watched optional 10 minute presentation on amber in a city center jewelry shop to get out of the rain).

Ship docks a few miles from city center and runs bus shuttles every 30 minutes, so flexibility coming back.

Bornholm - cancelled due to "high seas"

Berlin - ship docks at train station. We did "Iconic Sights of Berlin" tour. Train takes about 2.5 hours (free bag with iced coffee and powdered jelly donut provided) from port to Berlin. Focus of tour was on the divided-then-united city, e.g., Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, impact on families, etc. Lunch of brats, meatball, potatoes provided in typical German restaurant. Walked and drove past numerous older (19th century?) palaces and other structures, Brandenburg Gate, ended outside Reichstag and modern buildings nearby. Then train back to ship (a free beer or other beverage, and snack) -- bring a Kindle or book to read. Got back late, staff was lined up to greet us with champagne, music, dancing. Onboard restaurants stayed open late to accommodate us. 

Copenhagen (walking tour) - impressive mix of old/traditional (palaces, etc.) and modern. Shuttle buses ran every 30 minutes from ship to central square (access to shopping, iconic street scene, Tivoli Gardens, etc.) Key word is Hygge, pronounced almost like Hoo-ga (Wikipedia: comfortable coviviality, contentment). Guides in both Copenhagen and Oslo commented on how happy people are in those cities.

Aalborg (walking tour) - a charming little city. Our only bad guide (the rest have been fabulous).

More later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sugarside said:

I found that Euros or even ,as a last resort ,Dollars were gladly accepted as tips on that cruise itinerary.

Isn't Europe in general a no tipping zone? I suppose the Viking guides are used to it however.

Beaudy, sugarside, and Heidi 13, many thanks for the advice on foreign currencies and tipping. I'll check out Knightsbridge FX and as a last resort we will just tip in USD. Beaudy, I enjoyed your impressions of the ports you've visited so far!

duquephart, on the Viking river cruises we've been on in the past, it was recommended that we tip the bus drivers and tour guides on the included tours that we took. The tipping amount was relatively small and the guides and drivers did such an excellent job that we were more than happy to tip them. I believe in European restaurants, tipping is not as common and is a smaller percentage than what we generally tip in the US.

1 minute ago, jss5200 said:

Beaudy, sugarside, and Heidi 13, many thanks for the advice on foreign currencies and tipping. I'll check out Knightsbridge FX and as a last resort we will just tip in USD. Beaudy, I enjoyed your impressions of the ports you've visited so far!

If you search around you'll find many folks saying that Euros or $$$ work just fine - not like they will be refused. Many others like to tip in local currency for the convenience of those on the receiving end. What to do with leftover currency may factor in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jss5200 said:

duquephart, on the Viking river cruises we've been on in the past, it was recommended that we tip the bus drivers and tour guides on the included tours that we took. The tipping amount was relatively small and the guides and drivers did such an excellent job that we were more than happy to tip them. I believe in European restaurants, tipping is not as common and is a smaller percentage than what we generally tip in the US.

Note that it is Viking doing the recommending - contrary to the culture.

• Like 1

In the UK and Europe basically the only areas where tipping is done it is on excursion trips with a guide and if on coach then the driver is included.

This is historic as I can remember as a child going on church trips a hat being passed round the coach to put your donation in.

We then did three cheers for the driver followed by a round of applause.👏👏👏

• Like 2

Regardless of tipping culture of the country, we find that most often the tour guides that we have are excellent and they take great pride in delivering a great experience.  Often these are some of the lower paid positions and they have been adversely impacted by Covid without the same tourist flow and they may not have been working over the past couple of years.  We feel that they should always be given some small amount.  We feel fortunate that we can spend $100 on excursion tips over a 15 day cruise and positively impact the guide/driver's life in some small way.

• Like 3

Agree with CDNPolar re: tipping the tour guides. Not much for us, but it adds up for them. And almost all of the guides have been excellent. However, you don't have to tip taxi drivers and waitstaff on land.

By the way, Viking automatically charges for tips for onboard staff at $15 / day / person, so 15 x 14 x 2 = $420 for a couple is added to your bill. You can arrange to pay your own tips, but the $420 is the default charge.

Mariehamn stop (cold, light rain) - Not much to see here. Sleepy town (pop = 12,000) with a couple of gift shops and one old church, was like visiting a beach town in the U.S. during the off-season. Brought back a little bit of the annoyance that we could have been in Tallinn and Helsinki instead, but that was Viking's decision and we went along with it.

• Like 1

RE Tipping on the ship.  We always pay the full gratuity at the end of the cruise but we also tip onboard with cash and this has proven to be very beneficial.

We have certain positions/individuals we tip in the first couple of days, and if we like our server team in The Restaurant we will ask for them each night and we will tip this team too.

We always tip our cabin steward team, and select other servers that provide exceptional service.

• Like 1