6 Bottle of wine purchase program

Cruisedreamer1

9 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Does Oceania still offer the wine package bottle sale at the start of the cruise? I think it was 6 or 5 bottle minimum. Thanks.  

It’s called the “7 bottle” program at about $45+ tip per bottles. No more -no less. However, you can buy multiple packages (7,14, 21..). Most of the bottles retail at home for USD $10-15. If you know your wine, there’s the occasional “loss leader” like Shramsberg Mirabelle sparkling wine (about USD $20 retail and quite good wine for that price). But don’t blink- folks will buy it for all 7 bottles and it will be gone in a few days.

• Like 1

I'm just glad I could bring my own 6 bottles of wine on board at embarkation, as I did in 12/21. Not sure I saw too many others doing that, but was so nice to sip wine on the balcony in the evenings. And I didn't overpay. Could bring whatever I wanted.

22 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I'm just glad I could bring my own 6 bottles of wine on board at embarkation, as I did in 12/21. Not sure I saw too many others doing that, but was so nice to sip wine on the balcony in the evenings. And I didn't overpay. Could bring whatever I wanted.

Only 6?. 

Yes, I know the O website says 6 limit (years ago, it was 3). However, as I have been told by two different F&B mgrs, the web number is an O CYA statement and you can bring what you want as long as you adhere to the O rule of “in cabin” consumption or $25 corkage fee for bottles taken to dining venues or other public spaces. (BTW, personal spirits may not leave the cabin. But, O provides mixers without added charge). And, in practice, I have never been stopped (nor have I ever seen anyone stopped) for bringing a case onboard at embarkation or replenishing my stock along the way (in ports  where wine purchases are possible or make good sense [variety/price]). 

Sadly, however, there is the occasional butthead who will carry glasses of personal wine (poured in the cabin) into dinner (or elsewhere). All because they want to avoid the $25 corkage?

FWIW: we pack collapsible cardboard carriers provided at tasting rooms here in NorCal (see pic). They come in 2, 3, 4 and 6 bottle versions and weigh only a few ounces. They can be used to shop and store the wine and they nestle nicely (with bungee) atop small rollaboards. At the end of the cruise, the steward will take care or their disposal.

Of course, buying the wine can sometimes be challenging. For our next cruise, departing Stockholm (instead of Cape Town due to ATW changes), our pre-Cruise time there doesn’t work with the open hours of their “state liquor stores” (Systembolaget). So we are finally in conversation with someone who speaks English to see if we can pre-purchase stuff and have it delivered to the hotel. Somewhat, fortunately, that segment is only two weeks until Lisbon where I’ve got a great shop near the port that will work for the next three weeks to NYC.

3EB49211-C05E-4E4A-B59C-DD19B3EE6A47.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Only 6?. 

... And, in practice, I have never been stopped (nor have I ever seen anyone stopped) for bringing a case onboard at embarkation or replenishing my stock along the way (in ports where wine purchases are possible or make good sense [variety/price]). ...

FWIW: we pack collapsible cardboard carriers provided at tasting rooms here in NorCal (see pic). They come in 2, 3, 4 and 6 bottle versions and weigh only a few ounces. They can be used to shop and store the wine and they nestle nicely (with bungee) atop small rollaboards. At the end of the cruise, the steward will take care or their disposal.

Of course, buying the wine can sometimes be challenging. For our next cruise, departing Stockholm (instead of Cape Town due to ATW changes), our pre-Cruise time there doesn’t work with the open hours of their “state liquor stores” (Systembolaget). ...

- I purchased beer, liquor and wine on the 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean cruise and had no trouble bringing them back. I think I did hear them say "bottles" when they x-rayed the closed carry-on bag, but they didn't do anything nor did they open the bag. I bought beer in Guatemala and Belize. Hard liquor, Belizean Rum, in Belize City and Tequila & Cana Real in Mexico (Mayahual). And wine in Mayahual, as well, a delicious Xa brand. (Better to forget the odd Mr P's Cashew Wine in Belize City!)

- I only buy off the truly local economy, the cheapest place I can find, where the locals shop. I want that "local experience". So in Belize City the Belikin beer was $4 a bottle in the duty-free area and $3 nearby outside. I found a small Chinese-run hole-in-the-wall convenience store selling bottles of beer  for $1 (delicious stout and black & tan and Oatmeal stout, and the lager). And the Belizean Rum was cheap, too. Found the cheap place in Mayahual about 4 blocks east of the beach boardwalk, at a convenience store with big "Tecate" signs out front and on top.

- I brought the 6 bottles of wine on board in a fabric wine bottle carrier that comes from my local grocery store when you buy 6 bottles from them. Strong. Worked perfectly. And had room for more stuff (e.g., some Cuban cigars, and knick knacks) at disembarkation.

As for disembarkation types & quantities, I guess that depends on what you think Customs will do that day. And one can only bring back so much without raising some suspicion, depending upon how you're having them taken past customs. Thinking the O printed disembarkation material mentioned 2 liters duty free.

7 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

As for disembarkation types & quantities, I guess that depends on what you think Customs will do that day. And one can only bring back so much without raising some suspicion, depending upon how you're having them taken past customs. Thinking the O printed disembarkation material mentioned 2 liters duty free.

I very seldom would purchase alcohol abroad (other than a non-exported spirit of particular value/enjoyment). And, seldom would it ever be more than 1-2 750 ml bottles. 
With a bit of research, there’s ways to get pretty much anything you want by web or mail order here in the US - as long as you live in a State that allows it. God bless California!

50 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Not as flexible as you may think:

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-544?language=en_US
(other countries: it’s only 1 liter.

21 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The key for me: "You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries."

Other than some Appleton 20 year old Blue Label Rum or Mount Gay XO (both of which can be purchased in the US for about the same price), whatever would you want to bring home?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Other than some Appleton 20 year old Blue Label Rum or Mount Gay XO (both of which can be purchased in the US for about the same price), whatever would you want to bring home?

Why would I buy any beer, liquor or wine I can get at my local stores? Sadly, there is NO US distributor for Belikin (Belize) beer, for example, or the local Gallo recipe (Guatemala--though you can sometimes find the Famosa derivative). Hard to get Travellers' Rums in the USA and at higher prices, too. I found the Mexican wine both delightful and inexpensive. Grapes grown just south of San Diego. Even the concierge thought I'd got a good deal on the Xa. And where can I get Cana Real (54 proof) in the USA? Does anyone make or distribute it?

Edited by MEFIowa
Changed the proof number
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Why would I buy any beer, liquor or wine I can get at my local stores? Sadly, there is NO US distributor for Belikin (Belize) beer, for example, or the local Gallo recipe (Guatemala--though you can sometimes find the Famosa derivative). Hard to get Travellers' Rums in the USA and at higher prices, too. I found the Mexican wine both delightful and inexpensive. Grapes grown just south of San Diego. Even the concierge thought I'd got a good deal on the Xa. And where can I get Cana Real (54 proof) in the USA? Does anyone make or distribute it?

Though currently out of stock, BevMo (chain store) has Belikin beer.

I agree that some Mexican wines (primarily from Val de Guadalupe not far from Ensenada) are excellent. And you can find stores in San Diego that will ship them to you at reasonable cost.

As for Rum, yes there are many fine Rums. But, IMO, Mount Gay from Barbados (which has a wide variety of offerings with top products in every price range - starting with Eclipse) is unequaled in quality. (Ask any diehard yacht racer).

Even the best Peruvian and Chilean Piscos can be found in the US with a little searching. And many of these countries will ship direct if you’re willling to buy a case.

BTW: Gin drinker? A search for Dingle (reasonably priced Irish Gin that blows away Hendricks, Sapphire, Gunpowder, Death’s Door and others) is worth the search effort.

Finally, I hope you agree with me that one of the biggest ripoffs in the world (if you live in a US State that allows booze shipping) is the “Duty Free” shop in an airport.

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though currently out of stock, BevMo (chain store) has Belikin beer.

When I just went into BevMo!'s web site, they had no listing for the product. Including searching in "OOS": " I see NO US distributor listed that I can find. And Belikin has more than just lager. See their lovely Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Black & Tan. They even brew their own version of Guiness Stout, different from that in Ireland.

We're sorry.

No products were found within matching your search criteria.

4 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

When I just went into BevMo!'s web site, they had no listing for the product. Including searching in "OOS": " I see NO US distributor listed that I can find. And Belikin has more than just lager. See their lovely Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Black & Tan. They even brew their own version of Guiness Stout, different from that in Ireland.

We're sorry.

No products were found within matching your search criteria.

I called the local BevMo and they said it’s “back ordered.” 
In any case, living in Northern California, one can’t turn the corner without running into a brewery. Really don’t need foreign beers with the brands like Lagunitas (Petaluma) or Boonville (Anderson Valley) in every store. 

95E9BF52-2E57-49A8-8564-9699F50D9008.png

My goodness

If you want to bring back something that is allowed   then do it

Who really cares what others say

We have brought home different liquors/cognac  that are NOT available in Canada or the USA for that matter

YMMV

From certain countries, I often bring wine home. There are many incredible wines either not exported to the U.S., or done so in such limited quantities, they can’t be bought once home. When one sees 120 cases made, 4 cases imported ( in the US) that means you’ll only buy it in very upscale restaurants . When I can snare a bottle or two from the winery, it’s coming home. Wineries have little to no inclination to take the importer/wholesaler/retailer haircuts if they can sell their top labels out at the winery. 

FF, just wait until you see the taxes , and the resultant costs, on those bottles of wine you plan on buying in Stockholm! Get ready to pucker! I know you claim you always, we’ll see how that works out for you in Sweden! Norway is even worse!

• Like 1

Thank You Vertygo;

Seems some here haven’t a clue of how many top American wines are only available either via a wine club or at the winery .

Maybe we’re at different level of wine enthusiasts and recognize this. It is what it is. I’ve brought home some all expiring wines that are totally unavailable in the US market and I have availability to wines 99+% don’t.

50 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thank You Vertygo;

Seems some here haven’t a clue of how many top American wines are only available either via a wine club or at the winery .

Maybe we’re at different level of wine enthusiasts and recognize this. It is what it is. I’ve brought home some all expiring wines that are totally unavailable in the US market and I have availability to wines 99+% don’t.

Yep. Recently got to spend a few days in Napa joined by my son who's a som in Austin. Our tasting host at Corbison was amazed his restaurant had been able to get 2 cases recently. 

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

FF, just wait until you see the taxes , and the resultant costs, on those bottles of wine you plan on buying in Stockholm! Get ready to pucker! I know you claim you always, we’ll see how that works out for you in Sweden! Norway is even worse!

“Always” look but don’t “always” buy. Have checked the Stockholm “state store” (Systembolaget) prices and, though still cheaper than the ship’s, it’s a moot issue since our short weekend pre-Cruise stay doesn’t jive with their limited Saturday and non-existent Sunday open hours. We’ll have to pick stuff up on the way to Lisbon and then onward to NYC.