Discovery Princess using Pier 46 at LA Harbor?

hubble

April 3rd. Bliss is at Pier 92. The Westerdam at Pier 93. Twitter CS suggests dropping luggage and passengers off prior to parking if you’re driving to the port. Then driver returns to ship with shuttle after parking in regular lot. No mention of special parking area for Discovery. This suggests check in at Pier 50 where the Discovery is docked. Debarking should be fun doing the reverse. Shuttle doing double service. Incoming and outgoing. Hope the road can handle all the drop off and pick up vehicles. 

19 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

April 3rd. Bliss is at Pier 92. The Westerdam at Pier 93. Twitter CS suggests dropping luggage and passengers off prior to parking if you’re driving to the port. Then driver returns to ship with shuttle after parking in regular lot. No mention of special parking area for Discovery. This suggests check in at Pier 50 where the Discovery is docked. Debarking should be fun doing the reverse. Shuttle doing double service. Incoming and outgoing. Hope the road can handle all the drop off and pick up vehicles. 

I don't think the Westerdam has passengers. It is also showing up two days later at pier 93. It isn't listed on HAL as cruising right now. Maybe just supplies? I could be wrong.March 27th passengers will be checking in at Pier 93, maybe the same for April 3rd. I also noticed no ship will be at 93 on April 10th.We are on for two weeks and don't get off till April 10th.Hope I am correct on the check ins or there will be mass traffic jams.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I wonder how security is going to work if we are checking in at the terminal and then going back outside to shuttle to the ship or they will have the scanners set up at berth 50 and we'll go through security there?

Until Princess emails their promised Emergency Notification with details to those of us on the 3/27 inaugural cruise we can only guess.

Based on verbal statements by several sources check-in & luggage drop off will be at B93 with passengers shuttled to B50 but haven’t read anything about security. Hopefully Princess soon emails notices so we’ll know the boarding process.

When using B93 wonder about the in-transit procedure? Hopefully they’ll keep us at B50/B46 tent to clear CBP requirements. Guessing at the end of the cruise that’s where luggage will be gathered & clearing CBP. Those who park at B92/93 will need to be shuttled there from the ship but need a way to get luggage to their car.

My crystal ball is still cloudy & until Princess sends notices it won’t be clear. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Until Princess emails their promised Emergency Notification with details to those of us on the 3/27 inaugural cruise we can only guess.

Based on verbal statements by several sources check-in & luggage drop off will be at B93 with passengers shuttled to B50 but haven’t read anything about security. Hopefully Princess soon emails notices so we’ll know the boarding process.

When using B93 wonder about the in-transit procedure? Hopefully they’ll keep us at B50/B46 tent to clear CBP requirements. Guessing at the end of the cruise that’s where luggage will be gathered & clearing CBP. Those who park at B92/93 will need to be shuttled there from the ship but need a way to get luggage to their car.

My crystal ball is still cloudy & until Princess sends notices it won’t be clear. ☺️

Thank you for all of your valuable information.  I'm so OCD about all of this but I just need to be patient. Have a great inaugural cruise!

I''l be on her on 4/17, cannot wait.

17 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you for all of your valuable information.  I'm so OCD about all of this but I just need to be patient. Have a great inaugural cruise!

I''l be on her on 4/17, cannot wait.

You’re welcome neighbor & we’re not OCD but are just prepared & organized, right? ☺️

We’re on the first 2 cruises & looking forward to having great cruises! 😊

• Like 2

I know that one hand does not necessarily know what the other is doing - boarding might be a good example of that. Many here think check-in will be at Pier 93 with a shuttle to Pier 50. But according to Princess Twitter, it is recommended you drop off luggage and guests first before parking in the standard parking lot. That would suggest check-in and luggage drop off will be at Pier 50. I worry that traffic going to and from the ship picking up and dropping off guests and luggage will create quite a traffic jam. But admit I am not familiar with the road going to Pier 50. It could be four lanes for all I know. I just imagine a gridlock with autos. I am hoping that the March 27th cruisers will report back here. But of course, they will only experience one way traffic as no one is getting off the ship that day.

9 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Here is the email I got an hour ago regarding the process:

IMPORTANT PIER INFORMATION - LOS ANGELES
Please be advised that check-in and embarkation for your Discovery Princess cruise will take place at separate piers in Los Angeles.

Check-in will take place at Pier 93 at the San Pedro World Cruise Center. Guests must complete check-in and drop off their luggage at Pier 93. Once you are checked in, a complimentary shuttle service will take you to Pier 50 for embarkation. Do not proceed directly to the ship as there are no facilities available at Pier 50, and you will be unable to board the ship if you have not completed check-in. Guests with Princess transfers or a Cruise Plus hotel package will be transferred directly from Los Angeles International Airport or their hotel to Pier 93. Guests with independent transfer arrangements should be guided accordingly. Guests parking their car for the duration of the cruise should proceed to the long-term parking lot at Pier 93. Complimentary shuttles will be available at disembarkation to take guests back to Pier 93. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Discovery Princess.

This sound much easier than the information I was previously given. Thank you for posting.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, hubble said:

I see that the Discovery Princess is scheduled to use Pier 46 in San Pedro during March and April.  I've cruised out of Pier 93 where the Princess terminal is many times, but I did not even know Pier 46 existed.  After a bit of research I see it is on the outer harbor and close to the Doubletree hotel.  Seems the ship is to long for pier 93, and pier 92 is being used by NCL Bliss that day.   I cannot find any info if there is actually a terminal building at pier 46, and how is check in is handled there?  Is there a lounge, restrooms,  is it handicapped accessible?  Can taxi's and Uber drop off/pick up at this pier?  If anyone is familiar with this pier, please provide some information.  With Royal, Majestic and now Discovery all using LA Harbor and to big for pier 93, seems like this pier 46 might be used much more in the future.  

I was on the Majestic in February & we boarded at pier 92. 

2 hours ago, Rick&Jenny said:

Cruisingram1:

Here’s what that roadway to Berth #50 looks like.  The only good thing about this boarding situation to me is be thankful it's on a Sunday.

04088B54-FD30-4DB8-97F7-588BD0FF0E5A.jpeg

Here’s your photo flipped. 

I’ll be on the Discovery Princess for the Love Boat Cruise & will be interested to hear peoples experiences on the new ship. 

Tom😀

image.jpeg

Edited by trbarton

I just got an email that states that all passengers must go to Pier 93 for check in and luggage drop off and then will be shuttled to Pier 50, for the March 27 cruise.  It says no one should go to Pier 50 first.

Finally, what seems to be a clear notification.  We will be using Uber.  Apparently people with Princess transfers will have their luggage picked up at the airport, then be taken to 93 and on to 50.

We will see what happens with debarkation!

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

I was on the Majestic in February & we boarded at pier 92. 

NCL Bliss got B92 & the only other berths long enough for these larger ships are B50 & B46 which have no terminal buildings. That’s why check-in & luggage drop off will be at the vacant B93 & passengers shuttled to B50.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, modes said:

Debarkation will be one hell of a mess. I hope I’m wrong.

Was it?

I discovered (unhappily) that just because you leave from one berth doesn't automatically mean you arrive back at the same one. We left from Berth 91/92 one trip and I was parked directly across from the ship. When we returned 19 days later we arrived at Berth 93, so I had a longish walk to retrieve the car.