The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

This will be my first time in the Haven when I actually care about port stops (previously only on music cruises that stopped in Caribbean ports I'd been to many times over), and we *just* booked our Alaska cruise over the 4th of July. It seems like most of the excursions are sold out, or only have 1 ticket left (I can't actually see though, because they booked me under a brand new Latitudes instead of my existing one, and the itinerary isn't even showing up in my account yet 😑).

Is it worth a call to the concierge to see if we can get onto one that we really want? Do they ever reserve a space or two for Haven guests?

Edited by NikkiPoooo27

12 minutes ago, NikkiPoooo27 said:

(I can't actually see though, because they booked me under a brand new Latitudes instead of my existing one, and the itinerary isn't even showing up in my account yet 😑).

I had to write to CRUISEDOCS@ncl.com requesting that they merge the duplicate Latitudes account for DW.  It was done in one or two days.

• Like 2

Just now, Daniel A said:

I had to write to CRUISEDOCS@ncl.com requesting that they merge the duplicate Latitudes account for DW.  It was done in one or two days.

I booked through Costco Travel, and they're taking care of it but it will take another day or two. I'm trying to be patient, but I want to book stuff so I'm sitting here like a preschooler waiting for snacktime. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@aroundtheriverbend  You have had so many great replies to your questions.  All me to add on:

• Big Shows Only:  If you want to lock the in, do it at the Haven Port desk when you check in or with the Haven Staff when you get on board.  I can tell your are a detail person so am I.  I assure you, it will be NO issue.  On the smaller shows like the Cavern Club, it is first come, first served for all gets. 
  • Luggage Tags:  Again you have been given great advice.  All me to give you what I do ever single time.  I print the luggage tags after I do the 21 day on-line check in.  I have special plastic with metal fastener devices I purchased from Amazon.  I find what NCL sends to look pretty and not work so well.  Some have actually been pulled off. 
  • Lunch Your First Day:  I always recommend the Haven Restaurant even though you will have a complementary Specialty Restua4ant Lunch usually the American Dinner. For me, the food is better. 
  • Make Your Specialty Restaurant Reservations Early:  You have access to making your specialty restaurant reservations at 130 or 125 days in advance.  Do it and be done with it. I know the Haven Staff can always change them but we are both planner. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Hello All,

We just received our luggage tags via mail yesterday along with the welcome letter; our sailing date is July 2.

• Like 2

Regarding the luggage tags, we’ve done two Haven trips since the restart, and another one upcoming, and the two in the past we never received luggage tags and just printed our own. We did get luggage tags this time in the mail, and we were really surprised!  But the color is green (with priority written on it), not gold.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by psac
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psac said:

Regarding the luggage tags, we’ve done two Haven trips since the restart, and another one upcoming, and the two in the past we never received luggage tags and just printed our own. We did get luggage tags this time in the mail, and we were really surprised!  But the color is green (with priority written on it), not gold.  🤷‍♂️

Interesting, mine are maroon, NCL Escape out of Miami. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The color of the tags indicates the ship, not the cabin level.

I actually thought the color indicates a section of the ship, so they know where to route the bags. I do remember the gold Haven tags, but maybe with more Haven cabins outside the Haven proper than just the aft and forward, adopting more color coding makes sense.  

But it could be for the ship itself as you said, especially for the ports with multiple ships leaving at once!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psac said:

I actually thought the color indicates a section of the ship, so they know where to route the bags. I do remember the gold Haven tags, but maybe with more Haven cabins outside the Haven proper than just the aft and forward, adopting more color coding makes sense.  

But it could be for the ship itself as you said, especially for the ports with multiple ships leaving at once!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question for @Sthrngary and any others:

Once past the final payment date, if the stateroom in the Haven you've reserved and PAID in full, drops in price substatially, is there any opportunity to try to get the lower price from NCL? 

This is a direct reservation (no TA involved this time).

Thank you,

15 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Question for @Sthrngary and any others:

Once past the final payment date, if the stateroom in the Haven you've reserved and PAID in full, drops in price substatially, is there any opportunity to try to get the lower price from NCL? 

This is a direct reservation (no TA involved this time).

Thank you,

@McGarrett5oh first, hello my friend. This question has as much to do with the person you speak with as it does NCL policy.  If the first person says “NO”, professionally ask for a supervisor. 

now what I think you’re asking before is a good strategy. And I caution you, you are in a place where they can justify doing nothing. So the tone of your request and the way you outline it is critical.

As a previous person, posting said, there was a high likelihood that they could give you onboard credit. That is always fun if you can get it. The other approach, which is what I preferred to do, is to get a nicer suite. An upgrade without doing an upgrade bid. 

another strategy is get the onboard credit, and then bid up to a nicer room at the minimum bid. That would be a double dip, and in my mind just plane fun and sport.

The key words I always say, when dealing with people is, “ I know you don’t have to help me out, but I would appreciate a professional courtesy if you can see, fit in providing it.” Then tell him what would be good for you.

cruise. Well, and enjoy every moment. Report back how this went. And don’t forget to eat the almond croissants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As is clear from my CruiseCritic.com Signature.  My next cruise is a 10-Day Mediterranean on NCL sister brand Oceania.  Since everyone knows me as a big NCL Haven Enthusiast, I have been asked why I choose another brand. I am happy to explain but all I ask is, this is my reasoning, not anyone else. 

1. Research On Brands:  I am sure it does not surprise anyone that I do extensive research on every cruise I do.  This one was my first in Europe.  I looked at NCL, Celebrity, Viking, Regent Seven Seas, Silver Seas, Ritz-Carlton, and a few others.  On NCL and Celebrity,  I had Suites and Haven/Retreat as separate columns.  I had ever amenity and statistic including when the ship was built and or dry docked last. 
  2. Reviews:  I went to reviews, and Blogs for each brand on CruiseCritic.com to learn more about each brand.  Likes, Loves and dislikes.
  3. Cost Analysis:  On this cruise we have a self inflicted budget.  This is because we are bringing friend with us that are not in the same financial position as we are.  They gave us a budget and we stuck to it. 
  4. Ports and Time In Ports:  We wanted as much time in each port as possible.  Some brands just give you a few hours and other give you almost a day.  
  5. Size ship and Demographic of the Brand:  We wanted a smaller ship for the second time in our lives.  The first time was Crystal Cruises.  It informed me less people on the ship means the ship does not have to be so big.  The demographic is 55 and above and I am being kind.  More like 65 and above.  This cruise we wanted to get into the smaller ports without taking tenders, have less children, and a much more laid back cruise. 

We choose Oceania because it hit most of our boxes. We knew the night life ended early, at my age, perfect.  We knew the entertainment we were used to on NCL was not going to happen.  We knew there would be less rock and more Frank S. on the ship.  We also knew the entire ship once a person left their stateroom, everyone was treated the same.  We ended up getting a penthouse, huge room, butler, and very nice balcony.  The suite amenities are very similar to Haven and Retreat. 

Now the ship I REALLY wanted to go on was the NCL Viva.  It was 9 days instead of 10.  The Fare in the Haven was literally over double. Out side the Haven was still more expensive.  The other brands were sometimes twice as much as Viva, so high fares going to the same places. The times in the port were not as attractive.  I sadly could NOT justify it but I will be in the Haven on the Viva one day.

Now when I get back (Cruise is in November 2023) will do a review and compare my experience in the Haven with my Suite on Oceania.  I hope that answers everyone's questions. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Now when I get back (Cruise is in November 2023) will do a review and compare my experience in the Haven with my Suite on Oceania.  

Our cruise on Regent Seven Seas Mariner starts right after Thanksgiving this year and goes into the first week of December.  When we get back, I'll compare notes with you and your Oceania experience, as well as evaluating Regent Seven Seas to NCL's Haven.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You will have a wonderful time. I have been on that ship in the penthouse ( what a treat). The beds and bedding are marvelous. You have a great attitude. We are boarding today ( Celebrity Constellation) in Athens with my family. We have three concierge cabins on an old smaller ship. We will have a great time as it stops in Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes and Ephesus. But never fear, we are on the NCL Encore in February in a two room suite in the Haven with my daughter and grandkids for NY winter break.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

As is clear from my CruiseCritic.com Signature.  My next cruise is a 10-Day Mediterranean on NCL sister brand Oceania.  Since everyone knows me as a big NCL Haven Enthusiast, I have been asked why I choose another brand. I am happy to explain but all I ask is, this is my reasoning, not anyone else. 

1. Research On Brands:  I am sure it does not surprise anyone that I do extensive research on every cruise I do.  This one was my first in Europe.  I looked at NCL, Celebrity, Viking, Regent Seven Seas, Silver Seas, Ritz-Carlton, and a few others.  On NCL and Celebrity,  I had Suites and Haven/Retreat as separate columns.  I had ever amenity and statistic including when the ship was built and or dry docked last. 
  2. Reviews:  I went to reviews, and Blogs for each brand on CruiseCritic.com to learn more about each brand.  Likes, Loves and dislikes.
  3. Cost Analysis:  On this cruise we have a self inflicted budget.  This is because we are bringing friend with us that are not in the same financial position as we are.  They gave us a budget and we stuck to it. 
  4. Ports and Time In Ports:  We wanted as much time in each port as possible.  Some brands just give you a few hours and other give you almost a day.  
  5. Size ship and Demographic of the Brand:  We wanted a smaller ship for the second time in our lives.  The first time was Crystal Cruises.  It informed me less people on the ship means the ship does not have to be so big.  The demographic is 55 and above and I am being kind.  More like 65 and above.  This cruise we wanted to get into the smaller ports without taking tenders, have less children, and a much more laid back cruise. 

We choose Oceania because it hit most of our boxes. We knew the night life ended early, at my age, perfect.  We knew the entertainment we were used to on NCL was not going to happen.  We knew there would be less rock and more Frank S. on the ship.  We also knew the entire ship once a person left their stateroom, everyone was treated the same.  We ended up getting a penthouse, huge room, butler, and very nice balcony.  The suite amenities are very similar to Haven and Retreat. 

Now the ship I REALLY wanted to go on was the NCL Viva.  It was 9 days instead of 10.  The Fare in the Haven was literally over double. Out side the Haven was still more expensive.  The other brands were sometimes twice as much as Viva, so high fares going to the same places. The times in the port were not as attractive.  I sadly could NOT justify it but I will be in the Haven on the Viva one day.

Now when I get back (Cruise is in November 2023) will do a review and compare my experience in the Haven with my Suite on Oceania.  I hope that answers everyone's questions. 

The Haven fare on the Viva was more than booking on Oceania? Holy buckets. I always appreciate your thorough dissection of questions, concerns and postings on CC but this is shocking. Very curious as to your review post-cruise.

Our TA has steered us away from Oceania as he doesn't think our 14 yo would enjoy the atmosphere as much as in the Haven due to lack of teen on-board activities and our preference for more casual cruising. 

Thanks as always for the interesting perspectives!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amygutman said:

The Haven fare on the Viva was more than booking on Oceania? Holy buckets. I always appreciate your thorough dissection of questions, concerns and postings on CC but this is shocking. Very curious as to your review post-cruise.

Our TA has steered us away from Oceania as he doesn't think our 14 yo would enjoy the atmosphere as much as in the Haven due to lack of teen on-board activities and our preference for more casual cruising. 

Thanks as always for the interesting perspectives!

Warmest, Amy

I've looked at a few Viva/Prima sailings and they are incredibly expensive compared to other NCL ships still. The particular selling matters too... our upcoming 4th of July Alaska cruise fare in a Haven penthouse was 15% more (25% if you count the included airfare on Regent) than a concierge suite on Regent during the same week, but factoring in the extra flying to get to Anchorage (they give you economy on domestic, and my mom won't do that, especially not for a 10 hour travel day) and the fact that I thought maybe we'd bring my niece, the Haven won out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important question — any thoughts on the New York Strip Steak that replaced the Delmonico steak?  😁. The Delmonico was my favorite meal, but wondering if the NY Strip is close?

Specifically will be on the Joy, but assume it’s similar for all of the ships. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 10:13 AM, psac said:

As mentioned the tags you get are ship colored coded. Upon departure you receive another set of luggage tags that specify where to pick your luggage up at port. When we were on the Bliss last year we got the purple tags, and the gold tags upon departure (Gold is priority I believe)

• Like 1

Hello!  I haven't received any communications from the Haven concierge desk for our upcoming Greek Isles cruise (July 30 departure.)  Is it just too early or did I maybe miss an email?  Can someone share the Haven concierge desk email address?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

I am having trouble getting confirmation of pre and post cruise hotel bookings in Rome.  They keep telling me I am waitlisted, and I am now about 90 days out.  Is this something the concierge can help with?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mthayer295 said:

I am confused about the Haven Menu.  I thought it didn't rotate but then saw some postings indicating that it does.  We are on the Prima in August Reykjavik to Southampton.  

The Prima Haven menu does not rotate. 

22 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I am having trouble getting confirmation of pre and post cruise hotel bookings in Rome.  They keep telling me I am waitlisted, and I am now about 90 days out.  Is this something the concierge can help with?

@Daniel A My advice based my upcoming trip to Europe is the following:

1. Look at the Hotel they are booking and see if you can book it yourself, for less money and cancel (Full Refund ONLY or don't Cancel). You usually save a ton by doing it yourself.
  2. The ground transportation is a google search a way.  I have two "Taxi's" set up.  One for the Airport to the Hotel.  The other from the Hotel to the Port.  Far easier and less expensive than I thought.  Let me add less confusing also.  I have had all kinds of issue finding the representative especially on late flights. I don't like waiting for other planes to land for a bus to fill up.  None of this is an issue when I handle it myself.
  3. Besides saving money on Pre/Post Hotel Stays, you can pick and choose the hotel based in your want to sightsee or not.  An example is the hotel I choose is in the City Center of Athens, Greece.  I read all the reviews, saved money and watched videos of the actual hotel on YouTube. 

Many folks want the cruise company to do all the arrangements. It is easier for them.  In my case, it is less expensive and easier for me to handle it myself.  This includes Air, Hotels and Ground Transportation.  I also when out of the country, arrange my own Excursions or Sightseeing items I want to go to with the Use of Google Maps and YouTube which can be your best friend.  

I know I did not answer your exact question directly, however I do hope I helped in some way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1