The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

5 hours ago, bluestar1 said:

Pier 66 Haven check-in question, in reviewing this video, at 46 seconds in you see a Haven Check-In sign, would we pass up the long line he shows prior? Or do we stand in that line and once we hit the doors we go right while everyone else goes left?image.thumb.png.3a194433d77ee90b172fe4ab5b8170c9.png

Why would you wait in the wrong line first?  If there is a separate Haven check-in, I would go straight to that check in point.  This is what you are paying extra for.  Enjoy being pampered!  (It stops at disembarkation, so enjoy it while you can.)  ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

There are several differences however from what I read in this forum and others about how the Prima does things in the Haven vs. others classes of NCL ships.  Not bad at all.  Just different.

Very much looking forward to your thoughts.

We booked the Viva for 2025 because the itinerary was outstanding (Haifa to Athens), but despite the ship as it's not our style at all, and the Haven really appears, well...ugly.  We love indoor pools as well so disappointing to not have this feature.

You always provide honest opinions and insight so very curious about your experiences (ship as well as Haven) for Viva's near identical sister ship. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

@SteveGill  We are currently on the Prima in the Haven. I plan to post sometime after we return with a full rundown of what we experienced.  We’re only 2 days in but so far everything has been excellent.  There are several differences however from what I read in this forum and others about how the Prima does things in the Haven vs. others classes of NCL ships.  Not bad at all.  Just different. 

Very much interested in reading your feedback as in November we will be on the Prima for our first Haven experience, and also get the feeling that lots of the information in this forum is tailored towards the Haven on the BA/BA+ ships. 

We personally really like the Prima from our previous non-Haven cruise, but like you said, its just different. So in a way, I am not surprised that you mention the Haven on Prima is different as well. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, amygutman said:

Very much looking forward to your thoughts.

We booked the Viva for 2025 because the itinerary was outstanding (Haifa to Athens), but despite the ship as it's not our style at all, and the Haven really appears, well...ugly.  We love indoor pools as well so disappointing to not have this feature.

You always provide honest opinions and insight so very curious about your experiences (ship as well as Haven) for Viva's near identical sister ship. 

Warmest Amy

I have my jitters as well but could just be because it's 'different.' I'm so familiar with the Breakway/+ style of ship and Haven.

I am looking at Viva for next November and agree r.e the lack of indoor pool, as well as all of the exposed sun deck areas meaning it won't be much use to me at that time of year in the Med.

So also keen to soak up all people have to share about Prima and Viva Haven. I'd like to experience this class of ship in Haven but some of the differences, on paper, aren't for the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 4:52 AM, Daniel A said:

Why would you wait in the wrong line first?  If there is a separate Haven check-in, I would go straight to that check in point.  This is what you are paying extra for.  Enjoy being pampered!  (It stops at disembarkation, so enjoy it while you can.)  ☺️

That was my question, I wasn't sure if you had to wait in the initial line and were diverted once you get to the door OR if it was like TSA pre check at the airport and you just immediately go to the Haven sign and walk by everyone?

In reviewing the video I wasn't sure how you'd even get to those doors to begin with. 

I wasn't suggesting to wait, I was questioning if you do, never been a Haven guest and wanted to know what we do. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:52 AM, Daniel A said:

Depends.  Some terminals require all to go through security before going to the check in stations.  Some have separate security lines for Haven.

10 hours ago, bluestar1 said:

That was my question, I wasn't sure if you had to wait in the initial line and were diverted once you get to the door OR if it was like TSA pre check at the airport and you just immediately go to the Haven sign and walk by everyone?

In reviewing the video I wasn't sure how you'd even get to those doors to begin with. 

I wasn't suggesting to wait, I was questioning if you do, never been a Haven guest and wanted to know what we do. 

I hope you weren't under the impression that I was criticizing your concern.  That question was rhetorical and meant to make you more comfortable with skipping the long line by pointing out that will not be your line.  When you arrive at the pier, look for either the Haven signage or a NCL representative to find where to enter the terminal.

The whole purpose for the separate Haven entrance is to eliminate the need for you to wait in the long line at embarkation.  You should be taken to a VIP Haven lounge where a concierge will check you in while you enjoy coffee, juices and snacks.

Enjoy your cruise in the Haven!

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Depends.  Some terminals require all to go through security before going to the check in stations.  Some have separate security lines for Haven.

Understood.  I just boarded in Civitavecchia and that was the case, but just past security there were signs and a rep directing Haven guests away from the long check-in line and to the VIP lounge.

My point is that if there is a sign for the Haven you would normally proceed directly to that point.  That is probably why in the photo there is a NCL rep to direct the Haven guests to the Haven Check-in.

Edited by Daniel A

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Understood.  I just boarded in Civitavecchia and that was the case, but just past security there were signs and a rep directing Haven guests away from the long check-in line and to the VIP lounge.

My point is that if there is a sign for the Haven you would normally proceed directly to that point.  That is probably why in the photo there is a NCL rep to direct the Haven guests to the Haven Check-in.

That's the way it's been at NOLA.  Once you clear security, then you can proceed directly  to the Haven Checkin. 

Of course, there are those who are embarrassed to walk past the long lines...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I hope you weren't under the impression that I was criticizing your concern.  That question was rhetorical and meant to make you more comfortable with skipping the long line by pointing out that will not be your line.  When you arrive at the pier, look for either the Haven signage or a NCL representative to find where to enter the terminal.

The whole purpose for the separate Haven entrance is to eliminate the need for you to wait in the long line at embarkation.  You should be taken to a VIP Haven lounge where a concierge will check you in while you enjoy coffee, juices and snacks.

Enjoy your cruise in the Haven!

Not at all, I wasn't sure if my question was understood. I was curious if this pier has everyone stand in the same line and you separate at that door, or if we find a way to walk around the line and go straight to that door. I will ask when we drop our luggage, but was looking for anyone who is more seasoned than we are to maybe provide a helpful tidbit of what we do.

Having a special needs child with me the idea of walking all the way to the front to find out we're supposed to be in the full line won't be a nice way to start the cruise 🙂 It is helpful for us to provide him with what to expect, if he knows what to expect, the rest of us are happier 🙂

Would appreciate any info on what alcohol we should expect to be in the 2-bedroom on embarkation - on Epic for 11 days in Europe?

I like to have sparkling wine for sailaway, and I like dry - brut. 

If I can - I just buy my own. But we are not going to have plenty of time before embarkation on our upcoming cruise. So not sure I am going to run around and look for a wine shop in Marseille. Even though there are couple close to our hotel.

We have never been on NCL at all. But I always thought NCL is somewhat the same level as Royal Caribbean. And the free alcohol we have gotten couple times on Royal Caribbean was not any good :)))) Even though I am by no means a wine expert or a connoisseur :)))

Though with Celebrity we had much better experience. Suites on Celebrity are considerably more expensive than on Royal Caribbean, I get it. So no wonder the alcohol was much better.

I would think that Haven should be on par with Celebrity suites? So we should hope to get something decent? 

Also I could not find where I can buy some flower arrangement on NCL web-site. I have allergy to certain flowers, so I prefer to just buy myself something simple like carnations or roses. Usually what you get from the cruise line - has a wide mixture of all kinds of flowers. Which is pretty. But I am most likely going to be allergic to 70% of those pretty flowers :)))

NCL doesn't let you get you own flowers? Or it's just our cruise is that unlucky? 

Thank you very much for all the info!

I can try to send an e-mail to the concierge. But with other cruise lines I had certain experience, that pre-cruise customer service is not very well connected to the on-board one. So I might be just wasting my time trying to request anything like this pre-cruise?

Edited by JoieNsk

I am really fighting with myself - I can just buy a bottle from NCL gifts. That would be the easiest option.

But last time I did something like this - I ended up with the two identical bottles: one I bought, and one they gave me for free with the cabin. My husband doesn't drink champagne or sparkling wine. And I am not sure I need two bottles. I would rather get different wines by the glass here and there.

I suppose we don't fly right away after the cruise. So I can take the second bottle with us for the post cruise stay...

What do the experts here think? :))) 

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I can try to send an e-mail to the concierge. But with other cruise lines I had certain experience, that pre-cruise customer service is not very well connected to the on-board one. So I might be just wasting my time trying to request anything like this pre-cruise?

I've always had very good luck with the NCL pre-cruise concierge.  All of my requests have been implement when I boarded.

Since this involves allergies, I would call the pre-cruise concierge.  Nice folks, minimal wait time.  You'll spend less time waiting for them to answer than you would composing your email.

855-625-4283

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I am really fighting with myself - I can just buy a bottle from NCL gifts. That would be the easiest option.

But last time I did something like this - I ended up with the two identical bottles: one I bought, and one they gave me for free with the cabin. My husband doesn't drink champagne or sparkling wine. And I am not sure I need two bottles. I would rather get different wines by the glass here and there.

I suppose we don't fly right away after the cruise. So I can take the second bottle with us for the post cruise stay...

Thanks again!

Yes, you can take one or both bottles with you.  But remember you may have to pay duty.  Since this is Europe, I really don't know.

BTW, JMHO, but the free bottles aren't worth the trouble.  We usually just leave them in the room when we leave.

Edited by RocketMan275

3 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

Thanks again!

How long are you cruising for ? If I opened a bottle of fizz it would be drank the same day as its not so great the next day I would think you would easily get through two.

Last time we were on NCL April 2022 the Premium Drinks package had Veuve by the glass which is my favourite 

2 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

How long are you cruising for ? If I opened a bottle of fizz it would be drank the same day as its not so great the next day I would think you would easily get through two.

Last time we were on NCL April 2022 the Premium Drinks package had Veuve by the glass which is my favourite 

Below is the most recent Free at Sea Beverage Package list:  Veuve is not included any longer!

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/790164-BEV_Package_Flyer_UOBP_PPBP Update_V7_no_crops.pdf

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, you can take one or both bottles with you.  But remember you may have to pay duty.  Don't know if you will but you never know.

BTW, JMHO, but the free bottles aren't worth the trouble.  We usually just leave them in the room when we leave.

So they are no good?

As last time we were on Holland America - we got a bottle of simple yellow label Veuve Clicquot, and I bought exact same one in advance. This is good for me, I love it well enough!

I ended up finishing both of them eventually, as we were on a 14-day cruise with at least 3 sea days. I always have my travel wine stoppers with me, so I was able to stretch the wine for a week long :)))

This time we are going to have shorter and much more port intensive cruise. So I am not going to drink much on the ship.

5 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

It's 11 days.

Yes, it is not that great the next day. But there is no way I can finish a bottle by myself! I will probably die :)))))) It is essentially a dry white wine, and my OXO bottle stoppers work decent enough :)))

I just want to have something in the cabin, as we always spend the sailaway on our balcony - watching the views.

I have to figure also where we would get couple bottles of beer for my husband too :))) As the beer is his sailaway drink of choice :)))))))

2 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

It's 11 days.

Yes, it is not that great the next day. But there is no way I can finish a bottle by myself! I will probably die :)))))) It is essentially a dry white wine, and my OXO bottle stoppers work decent enough :)))

I just want to have something in the cabin, as we always spend the sailaway on our balcony - watching the views.

I have to figure also where we would get couple bottles of beer for my husband too :))) As the beer is his sailaway drink of choice :)))))))

Just had to google oxo stoppers, they look pretty nifty might have to get some. I probably wouldnt drink a bottle in the cabin but there are only 6 small glasses in a bottle and I’d easily get through that most nights with pre dinner, dinner and after dinner drinks !

11 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Below is the most recent Free at Sea Beverage Package list:  Veuve is not included any longer!

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/790164-BEV_Package_Flyer_UOBP_PPBP Update_V7_no_crops.pdf

Gutted its my favourite and most bar tenders usually have one at the ready once they know your preference. There must be more on offer than Pommery Rose on offer I need to find someone who is on board now!

12 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

So they are no good?

As last time we were on Holland America - we got a bottle of simple yellow label Veuve Clicquot, and I bought exact same one in advance. This is good for me, I love it well enough!

I ended up finishing both of them eventually, as we were on a 14-day cruise with at least 3 sea days. I always have my travel wine stoppers with me, so I was able to stretch the wine for a week long :)))

My wife and I poured the one bottle we opened into the sink.  YMMV, others think they're fine.  We don't.  As others have noted, this isn't Veuve, not even close. 

Reports vary but veuve brut is hard to find only available at Le Bistro.  I haven't seen any reports of availability in the Haven.  I would strongly suggest bringing your own wine if you're looking for veuve quality.  Really, you are in France.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

...I’d easily get through that most nights with pre dinner, dinner and after dinner drinks !

If I buy a bottle from the cruise line in advance - can I bring it with me to the restaurant - if it's already opened? 

If I can - that would be great! I can have some in the cabin, and then have some at dinner too! Actually the dinner is scheduled before the sailaway, so the bottle is not even going to be opened! We are early eaters, so the dinner should be finished by the time the ship leaves the port!

Would they charge me a corkage fee for the bottle I bought from them - I wonder?