The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

19 hours ago, benel204 said:

It won't put us in debt, but we are value conscious.  If the difference between Club Balcony and the the Aft-Haven was less than it is (i.e. less than double), we could justify.  I do appreciate your enthusiasm!

It's time to stop being 'value conscious'.  "Value conscious" has got you to the point where you need to be focused on enjoying life.  Or, as someone has said: "If  you don't travel first class, your grandkids will."  And, another wise man said: "Life is too short to drink cheap wine."  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, benel204 said:

On the Escape we are booked on, there are ~52 Haven suites available, with ~ 110 days till sailing.  Is that typical?

Anyone have experience of NCL dropping the fare on these? or do they book them at this point through "big to upgrade" approach? 

I greatly appreciate all the info. Obviously we are not only new to NCL, but newbie cruisers in general. 

Agree with what Gary said.  

Like Gary, I've been in a Haven Spa Suite (used to be the most economical Haven Suite....not sure anymore) to a 2 BR Haven Suite on the Epic.  In total, 5 Haven cruises and one upcoming in 2+ weeks.

It is unusual to have a lot of Haven Suites available.  But, you're still nearly 4 months out from sailing.  

Bidding?  I've heard of a few (very few) bidders get a deal.  But, there are so many variables, and given they sell out, I haven't heard anything recently regarding anyone winning any Haven bids.

NCL will adjust pricing as the cruise gets closer.  IF (big IF) they have a bunch of suites left unsold probably 60 days out.  But, you roll the dice.  

Personally, I check cruise fares nearly daily (being retired, I sort of feel I'm 

part of the reason NCL's WEB site is slow is because I constantly do mock bookings...LOL!).

The way to find the "deals" is to be flexible with itinerary, ship and dates.  I can do that.  If you can't, it's even harder.  It can be done, though.

Best advice?  Put a ceiling on what you're willing to pay for a Haven Suite.  Don't go over it (as many bidders do).  If you score one? Great.  If not?  NCL has some really nice ships and a balcony cabin on the newer ships are all quite nice.

Alternatively, if you can find a non-Haven suite on a Jewel Class ship (GEM, JEWEL, PEARL, JADE), they offer nearly the same experience as being in the Haven on their other ships.  There is no Haven Bar or Haven Restaurant.  But, you have access to a Concierge and a Butler.  Plus, you can dine in the Specialty Restaurants for breakfast and lunch (on your own for dinner).  Plus, their Haven pool and lounge areas are so small as to not be very useful on those ships.

I know Gary likes the VIBE.  That's also an alternative.  The VIBE is a "for fee" area of the ship where you have a private bar and lounge area.  Depending on length of cruise, I think it runs about $250/pp.  I think I paid $60/pp the last time I bought VIBE access.  I thought it wasn't a bad deal.  At $250, I pass as I'd rather put that same money to a Specialty Dining and/or FAS+ purchase.

Personal preference, but I've found I can get a nice area on the Breakaway, Breakaway Plus and Prima class ships in the WATERFRONT areas (an actual area called the WATERFRONT), where there are couches, padded chairs, bars on the outside perimeter of the ship that are overlooking the water.  Few people utilize those areas.

NCL, as much as some of us nit pick at them, is a good cruise experience.  Whether in the Haven or an inside cabin, you'll enjoy yourself.  Their service, food and entertainment is all quite good.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, benel204 said:

It won't put us in debt, but we are value conscious.  If the difference between Club Balcony and the the Aft-Haven was less than it is (i.e. less than double), we could justify.  I do appreciate your enthusiasm!

First off, I just love the Haven and all of its amenities.  That being said, I'm not sure I would ever book an aft Haven suite so I would need to walk the entire length of the ship every time I wanted to experience the Haven's amenities.  That can get pretty old pretty quickly.  I am willing to pay the extra cost so that I can stay in the Haven proper where all of the amenities are right at hand.

As far as being "value conscious" one concept to factor in is whether or not the money you would save by just having a regular aft balcony would mean you could add another week to your cruise or would pay for another cruise later on, then you can have a better equation in determining the value of your cabin.  JMHO.

• Like 1

I've stayed "in Haven Proper" and have had a Haven Suite a couple of decks away from the Haven Bar and Restaurant.  To me, it really doesn't matter.

I can always use a good walk when I'm on a cruise ship.  LOL!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's time to stop being 'value conscious'.  "Value conscious" has got you to the point where you need to be focused on enjoying life.

Ha ha -- yes....we spend so many years being frugal and now hard to do otherwise. But we are learning fast!  Thank you for the reminder.

49 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

factor in is whether or not the money you would save by just having a regular aft balcony would mean you could add another week to your cruise or would pay for another cruise later on, then you can have a better equation in determining the value of your cabin.

I did just price a Balcony (not CB) last night and it's higher than our fare.....hmmm....and several available.  So now I'm doing the calculations on the difference between that fare and the Haven.  I am going to monitor the fares and see if NCL drops them any more in the next month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

NCL, as much as some of us nit pick at them, is a good cruise experience.  Whether in the Haven or an inside cabin, you'll enjoy yourself.  Their service, food and entertainment is all quite good.

Thanks for the additional info, graphicguy.  We are looking forward to cruising on NCL in general and have an open mind about the experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, benel204 said:

I did just price a Balcony (not CB) last night and it's higher than our fare.....hmmm....and several available.  So now I'm doing the calculations on the difference between that fare and the Haven.  I am going to monitor the fares and see if NCL drops them any more in the next month.

Refresh my memory....what cruise are you looking at?

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I do not understand that you can not get a bid process due to your Travel Agent.  The offer is sent directly to you by NCL if the suite are in inventory.  I might have misunderstood you but that line confused me.

Our TA, which can't be named, is a beloved wholesaler based out of Kirkland, WA (hint).  I found out after the fact their arrangement with NCL is that customers are specifically NOT allowed in the "bid to upgrade" program.  That was disappointing news to hear once our fare entered the non-refundable phase.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Do I think it is worth it to double your fare for a Aft Haven Suite, YES.  Why, because you only live once and our lives are at the tail end.  If you can afford it, do it.  The Haven provides many more relaxing places after a long day of walking that are not crowded and the service is better. 

And your post made me chuckle, God-willing we will take many more cruises, but you are correct.  Thanks for your sage advice. 

As I tell my kids:  I have "first class worries" these days: where to take a cruise, and whether to spend their inheritance on upgrading to a better suite.  (they vote for more cruises, and more upgrades). 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Refresh my memory....what cruise are you looking at?

NCL Escape Barcelona to Venice, 11-night, May 5, 2024. We are already booked (paid and committed), but I am looking into the option of upgrading to Haven.  😁

Last night I looked at Balcony just to see if Aft cabins were available and what the fare was, and there were (and fare category is higher than our CB).

And there are no CB Aft cabins (not even a category I don't think).

25 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Ha ha -- yes....we spend so many years being frugal and now hard to do otherwise. But we are learning fast!  Thank you for the reminder.

A very good, financially competent friend, told me upon my retirement that I would be facing the very difficult transition from acquiring wealth to spending that wealth.  I'm fortunate in that I have multiple retirement income streams that are sufficient to cover our day-to-day expenditures.  We are also fortunate in that our children are financially independent and who married well.  They have no need of an inheritance from us.  Our retirement accounts are our 'fun money' we spend on cruises and on other nice to have things.  

If you're in a similar position, then enjoy the fruits of your previous labors.

One other thing, make a financial plan, a budget for the rest of your life.  You might be surprised.  That plan may show that you don't have to be so frugal. It might clear up some anxieties about living well.

• Like 3

Yeah...that particular TA has some restrictions.  They negotiate the daylights with the cruise providers.  You'll get good fares, but not much more.

You're right in the thick of the beginning of the kids not being in school.  So, demand is higher.  

I try to stay away from booking cruises when the kiddos are out of school. The fares tend to be much higher.

On the flip side, I have no issues booking the Caribbean during Hurricane season.  Or, the first week or last week of Alaska cruise season.  Or, right before or right after a major winter holiday.  Or, the last week of New England/Canada cruises in the Fall.

11 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Our TA, which can't be named, is a beloved wholesaler based out of Kirkland, WA (hint).  I found out after the fact their arrangement with NCL is that customers are specifically NOT allowed in the "bid to upgrade" program.  That was disappointing news to hear once our fare entered the non-refundable phase.

We too could use that TA but we've found a better one.  One who offers all the benefits of that TA plus others as well.  Since we only book the cruises that we want in the cabins that we won't, the upbidding isn't at all important.  

We don't use the credit card from that TA either.  We use our Chase Sapphire Reserve card which does all the card from that TA does and also provides trip cancellation insurance.  the annual fee is stiff but we find it pays for itself.  You might want to check that out of the AMEX platinum. 

We had an aft haven suite on our last cruise with NCL.  It was wonderful.  As we get older, the walk gets longer so we're booking in the Haven itself in the future.  The aft balconies are large enough to host a cocktail party for 30 or so of your closest friends.  

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I try to stay away from booking cruises when the kiddos are out of school. The fares tend to be much higher.

On the flip side, I have no issues booking the Caribbean during Hurricane season.  Or, the first week or last week of Alaska cruise season.  Or, right before or right after a major winter holiday.  Or, the last week of New England/Canada cruises in the Fall.

I've learned the hard way to check for major events in the ports before booking a cruise.  For example, one does not wish to be embarking in FLL the week end of the boat show, NOLA in mardi gras.   I should have checked on Galveston's mardi gras but did not.

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...that particular TA has some restrictions.  They negotiate the daylights with the cruise providers.  You'll get good fares, but not much more.

The thing is, the fare is exactly the same as NCL online (the TA tells you that).  The only "perk" is the shop card to use at that wholesaler.

Here's what newbie cruisers we are: I had no clue about the "bid for upgrade" on cruise lines until reading about on this site a few weeks ago.  learning fast!  This site is a wealth of wisdom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We don't use the credit card from that TA either.  We use our Chase Sapphire Reserve card which does all the card from that TA does and also provides trip cancellation insurance. 

ditto for us

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, benel204 said:

The thing is, the fare is exactly the same as NCL online (the TA tells you that).  The only "perk" is the shop card to use at that wholesaler.

Here's what newbie cruisers we are: I had no clue about the "bid for upgrade" on cruise lines until reading about on this site a few weeks ago.  learning fast!  This site is a wealth of wisdom!

Understand.  I wouldn't consider it a big loss not being able to bid.  I don't think you're missing much, if anything, by participating in bidding.  I certainly don't think you'll save anything.  

Keep an eye out on those fares and see if they drop.  Those are high enough that demand for those cruises must be high, RIGHT NOW!  That can change.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benel204 said:

And your post made me chuckle, God-willing we will take many more cruises, but you are correct.  Thanks for your sage advice. 

As I tell my kids:  I have "first class worries" these days: where to take a cruise, and whether to spend their inheritance on upgrading to a better suite.  (they vote for more cruises, and more upgrades). 

@benel204 Spend the money.  Go first class and business class airfare.  Look for sales and upgrade opportunities.  Lots of inventory means, prices on NCL will go down for those categories.  When they do, get them quick because the go quick.  Of just pay the price.  I also said to my adult children; my intent is to die and after my funeral expenses, have $100.00 left.  My thoughts are, I raised you, I paid for your college, I gave you a condo to live until you had a real job, I take you to fancy dinners and buy you nice presents.  You gave me a half a dozen donuts for my birthday while you knew I was on a Keto Diet. Life has consequences. 

Cruise well and always go first class.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, benel204 said:

That shop card should be worth hundreds of dollars. I would expect it to be about 8% of the fare paid.  You can get a similar deal from other TA.  I wish we could refer you to another TA but CC prohibits that.  There are other social media sites that do allow referals. 

Instead of bidding on a Haven, you'll probably do better by just booking a Haven cabin.  Don't wait until the last minute.  I book at least a year in advance.  I watch for price drops.  My haven cabins usually go up, not down in price. Often by thousands of dollars.  If you wait till the last minute to book, you'll have to bid a lot higher than what the cabin would have cost a year or so out.  You can always reprice the cabin.  Even after final payment you can get Future Cruie Credits which will save thousands on your next cruise.

Edited by RocketMan275

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I also said to my adult children; my intent is to die and after my funeral expenses, have $100.00 left.  My thoughts are, I raised you, I paid for your college, I gave you a condo to live until you had a real job, I take you to fancy dinners and buy you nice presents.  You gave me a half a dozen donuts for my birthday while you knew I was on a Keto Diet. Life has consequences. 

Cruise well and always go first class.

My father worked all his life as a roustabout mostly digging ditches in the oil fields of Oklahoma.  He never graduated from high school.   He sacrified a lot to ensure his two sons graduated college.  He did not want to go on 'relief' or welfare/medicaid.  His timing was perfect.  He died two months before he would have had to apply for medicaid.  He had, IIRC, $500 left in his checking account.

• Like 3

@benel204 - After my first cruise in the Haven on Epic R/T Barcelona Western Med, when I returned to work, my coworkers asked me how the cruise was.  My reply was "I don't deserve to be treated so well."  (That was really my reply.)

I now realize that I was wrong... I do deserve to be treated that well and I relish every minute of experiencing it and recalling it.  Go for it!

(Just remember this:  If this is your first cruise, and you do it in the Haven, any future cruises not done there will seem less special.)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My father worked all his life as a roustabout mostly digging ditches in the oil fields of Oklahoma.  He never graduated from high school.   He sacrified a lot to ensure his two sons graduated college.  He did not want to go on 'relief' or welfare/medicaid.  His timing was perfect.  He died two months before he would have had to apply for medicaid.  He had, IIRC, $500 left in his checking account.

@RocketMan275 I am truly sorry for your lose.  I also miss my dad.  If seems they both lived life on their own terms, making their own decisions.  We both learned a lot from our parents obviously.  Thank you for your post. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That shop card should be worth hundreds of dollars. I would expect it to be about 8% of the fare paid.  You can get a similar deal from other TA.  I wish we could refer you to another TA but CC prohibits that.  There are other social media sites that do allow referals. 

Instead of bidding on a Haven, you'll probably do better by just booking a Haven cabin.  Don't wait until the last minute.

I will be watching the fares daily. Thanks for the tip.

Regarding other TAs, I have found some very helpful cruise review videos online created by TAs (not the click-bait ones) and will keep them in mind for the future.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275 I am truly sorry for your lose.  I also miss my dad.  If seems they both lived life on their own terms, making their own decisions.  We both learned a lot from our parents obviously.  Thank you for your post. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Dad lived a hard life.  I could have learned a lot more from him had I paid attention.  He and my Mom believed that if you wanted to be taken care of, you had to do it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1