Ship excursions question

CielG22

My friend and myself are cruising with NCL next year. I am a wheelchair user. I have been looking at excursions to get a rough idea of price and accessibility. However, some excursions don't mention anything either way.

My question is, when booking an excursion via the website, is there a comment box to inform them I'm in a wheelchair? I can walk a few steps, but nothing spectacular, it's enough to get on and off a bus.

I have tried phoning NCL and asking, however I just got told to only look at level 1 activities, which doesn't help much with knowing whether the bus/coach will have room for a collapsible wheelchair when there's nothing in the small print.

Any advice from NCL/cruise veterans is greatly appreciated.

5 minutes ago, CielG22 said:

My friend and myself are cruising with NCL next year. I am a wheelchair user. I have been looking at excursions to get a rough idea of price and accessibility. However, some excursions don't mention anything either way.

My question is, when booking an excursion via the website, is there a comment box to inform them I'm in a wheelchair? I can walk a few steps, but nothing spectacular, it's enough to get on and off a bus.

I have tried phoning NCL and asking, however I just got told to only look at level 1 activities, which doesn't help much with knowing whether the bus/coach will have room for a collapsible wheelchair when there's nothing in the small print.

Any advice from NCL/cruise veterans is greatly appreciated.

This answer comes only from some observations on my part, so please forgive any misinformation. 

As I have read the descriptions (see more info in  sample below) there is more information regarding "restrictions/advisories" toward the bottom (usually in a gray box).

I hope this info is somewhat helpful!

Sample:

Need to Know:

Note: It is available to guests who utilize a collapsible wheelchair, can make their way on and off the coach and have a companion to assist them. Those with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. Maximum weight to participate is 260.lb. Under aged participants must be accompanied, directly supervised and cared for by the responsible Companion, Parent or Legal Guardian at all times. All guests must sign a waiver to participate.

, comfortable walking shoes; sun caps; sunglasses and sunscreen are suggested. Guests are also advised to bring cash or credit card for shopping and optional activities. Guests who go ashore do so with the understanding that they will be mixing with members of the general public.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

This answer comes only from some observations on my part, so please forgive any misinformation. 

As I have read the descriptions (see more info in  sample below) there is more information regarding "restrictions/advisories" toward the bottom (usually in a gray box).

I hope this info is somewhat helpful!

Sample:

Need to Know:

Note: It is available to guests who utilize a collapsible wheelchair, can make their way on and off the coach and have a companion to assist them. Those with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. Maximum weight to participate is 260.lb. Under aged participants must be accompanied, directly supervised and cared for by the responsible Companion, Parent or Legal Guardian at all times. All guests must sign a waiver to participate.

, comfortable walking shoes; sun caps; sunglasses and sunscreen are suggested. Guests are also advised to bring cash or credit card for shopping and optional activities. Guests who go ashore do so with the understanding that they will be mixing with members of the general public.

This is the problem we have for 1 stop (Pisa/Florence). The type of excursion in Livorno we'd like to do (go to Pisa, take a photo or 2 of the tower and visit Florence) mentions nothing about wheelchairs. Every other stop (aside from Cannes where we're staying onboard due to it being a tender port) I've been able to find wheelchair accessible excursions. Livorno seems to be a case of wheelchair accessible is pay £400+ for a Bocelli excursion, which isn't something either of us would enjoy, no wheelchairs or nothing mentioned either way.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever taken an excursion bus that didn't have storage space (underneath) for a collapsible wheelchair.  And most excursion busses set aside the first few rows for disability only.  Sometimes there have been names on the seats, so I would assume that the passengers contacted NCL and made those arrangements ahead of time.

I would venture to say that unless the description says no wheelchair, you should be OK.  But contact NCL and let them know - it's possible that they would make sure that there is at least 1 bus for the excursion (there likely will be many) that would work.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 3

The shorex desk has always been helpful for Caribbean excursions. Not sure if Europe would be the same # or not. Here is their info:

If you have any questions, or if you are interested in selecting another shore excursion for your upcoming vacation, please login to your MyNCL account or contact us directly at 1-866-625-1167. Guests residing outside of the US or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, duckey.l said:

The shorex desk has always been helpful for Caribbean excursions. Not sure if Europe would be the same # or not. Here is their info:

If you have any questions, or if you are interested in selecting another shore excursion for your upcoming vacation, please login to your MyNCL account or contact us directly at 1-866-625-1167. Guests residing outside of the US or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

The problem I had when I contacted them is that they're looking at the same information I can see and were reading the grey box at the bottom. It's a case of not wanting to book an activity that's say a level 1 so should be suitable only to find out on the day that I can't access the coach because there's no space to store a collapsible wheelchair.

Accessible Cruising - Norwegian Cruise Line | Important Information for Guests with Special Needs (ncl.com)

A member of the Access Desk will speak with you about each and every aspect of your cruise, from transportation to and from the vessel, your stateroom, shore excursions and any other expectation or need that you may have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Accessible Cruising - Norwegian Cruise Line | Important Information for Guests with Special Needs (ncl.com)

A member of the Access Desk will speak with you about each and every aspect of your cruise, from transportation to and from the vessel, your stateroom, shore excursions and any other expectation or need that you may have.

They gave me an old number (2018 old) for the excursions team to discuss which would be wheelchair accessible. I'm not asking because I haven't tried to get an answer from NCL, I'm asking because they haven't been overly helpful beyond saying what level activity I should book.

So far it seems a case of either book a ridiculously over-priced excursion because it's linked, somewhat tenuously, to Andrea Bocelli; or book an excursion that isn't over-priced but I have no idea if the wheelchair can be transported in the coach because there's nothing on the website saying one way or the other and NCL themselves don't even have an answer beyond it being a level 1 activity so it should (key word should) be fine.

We have taken my MIL on a cruise and she needed a wheelchair. Some excursions said accessible right in the name of excursion. However, some ports didn’t have any listed that way, such as Puerto Rico and Tortola. Considering Tortola was a tender port for that cruise, we didn’t bother booking anything for her and she was fine just staying on ship without us and enjoyed our balcony cabin. In Puerto Rico, we wanted to take my dad, who also accompanied us on the cruise, to the forts but didn’t want MIL to be stuck on ship for another day by herself. When we boarded, I went to shore ex desk to inquire if the bus was handicapped. They took my name and cabin number and said they would call the vendor. Within a couple of hours I had my answer and the vendor said they would supply a handicapped accessible bus with a wheelchair lift. So all four of us were able to enjoy the forts. And let me tell you, the bus staff were wonderful. So I would suggest talking to the staff on the ship if you can’t find a tour prior to boarding.

• Like 1

Question about booking my shore excursions using the $50 off each excursion in the package. I looked yesterday, and they are showing that if my wife and I book any excursion that My wife pays full price, and my excursion is $100 less (Not $50). I thought it was $50 off each excursion  per reservation, per port. Any thoughts?

33 minutes ago, Toledosfinest said:

Question about booking my shore excursions using the $50 off each excursion in the package. I looked yesterday, and they are showing that if my wife and I book any excursion that My wife pays full price, and my excursion is $100 less (Not $50). I thought it was $50 off each excursion  per reservation, per port. Any thoughts?

$50 off per excursion for the first person.

• Like 1

Is this port the first day of the cruise? If you not, you can always book it and then go to special needs or shore excursions when you board and cancel if they can't accommodate a handicap passenger. Yes, it could leave you stuck without an excursion, but I don't think they book all of the spots ahead of time and it doesn't sound like you are particularly interested in the one that is listed as handicap accessible. 

1 hour ago, Toledosfinest said:

Is it a old booking?  Prior to covid, I had a couple of cruises that were booked under a double excursion promo.  It was a sweet deal, on a very port-intensive cruise in Europe.  That, plus a bunch of OBC, made my excursions nearly free.  But sadly it was cancelled so it never happened.

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

Is it a old booking?  Prior to covid, I had a couple of cruises that were booked under a double excursion promo.  It was a sweet deal, on a very port-intensive cruise in Europe.  That, plus a bunch of OBC, made my excursions nearly free.  But sadly it was cancelled so it never happened.

Our cruise was originally booked in Sept 2019 to go in May 2020. NCL cancelled,  and we rebooked for May 2021. Again NCL cancelled. We booked again for May 2022 but had to pick another ship,and our itinerary was chanced from 11 nights to 10.  Still not sure why our shore excursions still show - $100 off the cost for each tour instead of $50.

On 2/13/2022 at 8:27 PM, CielG22 said:

This is the problem we have for 1 stop (Pisa/Florence). The type of excursion in Livorno we'd like to do (go to Pisa, take a photo or 2 of the tower and visit Florence) mentions nothing about wheelchairs. Every other stop (aside from Cannes where we're staying onboard due to it being a tender port) I've been able to find wheelchair accessible excursions. Livorno seems to be a case of wheelchair accessible is pay £400+ for a Bocelli excursion, which isn't something either of us would enjoy, no wheelchairs or nothing mentioned either way.

We have Livorno on our itinerary for a NCL cruise this summer, and it seems like for that particular port the problem regarding finding  tours that are accessible for wheelchairs is limited only if you want a tour that includes both Pisa and Florence. If choosing a tour only to Florence instead, then you have at least two tours that explicit describes it as being accessible for wheelchairs: Florence and Leisure or Easy Florence. I know from previous visits to Livorno and combining it with Pisa/Florence tours that the time in Pisa on majority of tours is very limited AND the bus leaves you quite a bit of distance from the leaning tower. So with a wheelchair it may take too long time to get to and from the tower on your own without any delays.... So maybe, just in that particular port, IF you want to do a tour that involves both Pisa and Florence and that is accessible also with a wheelchair, then to book a private tour just for that particular port. Yes, it will probably be more expensive than the ship tours - especially when you consider the $100 shore excursion credit. But if the choice is doing a private tour or no tour, then maybe it is worth it to at least look in to it. Just do a google search on accessible shore excursions Livorno, and you will see some results. Or - like I mentioned above - decide to go only to Florence instead of both Pisa and Florence...

Edited by TrumpyNor

1 hour ago, Toledosfinest said:

Our cruise was originally booked in Sept 2019 to go in May 2020. NCL cancelled,  and we rebooked for May 2021. Again NCL cancelled. We booked again for May 2022 but had to pick another ship, and our itinerary was chanced from 11 nights to 10.  Still not sure why our shore excursions still show - $100 off the cost for each tour instead of $50.

Perhaps you can find the answer on your NCL Confirmation.  First, did you keep the same Reservation Number from that booking made in Sept 2019?  Does the original booking date show on your current invoice?  If so, you have likely been allowed to carry-over the perks from that booking.  Now look down further on the confirmation for  "SPECIAL REQUESTS" and under that, is a section "Add Ons" which lists the booking perks that were included with your reservation.  If you find 1 x $100 Shore Excursion Discount  (or 1 x $50 Shore Excursion Discount listed twice), THERE is the answer to your question!

On 2/13/2022 at 7:27 PM, CielG22 said:

Just FYI, the last time we were stopping in Livorno, the excursion we planned to take was cancelled.  Not knowing what to do at that point (without reliable internet), we got off in port on spec and discovered many private tour companies/taxis offering small group excursions. In our case, because we wanted something different (Tuscan hill towns), we had to wait for something like a half-hour until enough other like-minded passengers signed up.  They are drivers, not tour guides, but in a mini-van with one driver for 8 passengers, I would think the wheelchair would be easy to deal with.  And I think they can get a lot closer to the Leaning Tower. So I would consider either a private excursion through your roll call where you can get answers directly, or rolling the dice when in port.  Also, Pisa and Lucca is a nice alternative to Florence, and so much closer...a more relaxed pace, fewer tourists and Lucca is so pretty (and you can still get nose-to-nose with original Bronzinos).  Our first Livorno stop we did that DIY by train, which was easy-peasy, but I wasn't paying attention from an accessibility viewpoint.  A google search should help with that.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Once booking for excursions opens, I'll book the Florence/Pisa one we want to do. On the current itinerary, Livorno is the 4th stop, so I can find out about it once we're onboard and cancel if needed and see what non-Bocelli accessible alternatives are available to book. And if worst comes to it, we can see if we can find a private tour to Pisa when we arrive.