Internet "Surf" speed?

FireEMT978

On 2/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, Ashland said:

Thank you so much. We found no easy way to cast from our laptop to our cabin TV because the TV in the OS is on a swivel built in. However we did see under the TV cabinet there is perhaps a way to but we didn't have with us what was necessary. Thinking we needed an HDMI to hook into their Coax...Anyone have any thought if this might work?

You can't typically convert HDMI to coax.

You can convert HDMI to VGA (either direction).

On 2/14/2022 at 7:08 PM, sailor05 said:

The internet has always been spotty at best, no matter what ship I've been on. Last week on the Mariner it was pretty good, I couldn't stream Youtube, but HBO Max was great. Cloudy days can slow it down, and stormy days you can forget it. I don't use a laptop but maybe use your phone as a hotspot which may eliminate firewall issues.

Most phones will not hotspot a wifi connection.  To do so would required two wifi setups in the phone.

And you REALLY DO NOT want to pay Cellular at Sea prices to hotspot a cell signal to your laptop.

I am trying to get a cost estimate for a single day of Voom Surf & Stream, but it keeps telling me to log in to my account. However, we haven't booked the cruise yet, so I can't do that.

I prefer to go completely internet-free for the whole week, but I do need to conduct video chat office hours with my students one afternoon (which thankfully happens to be one of our sea days as long as I schedule the class for Tuesday/Thursday schedule instead of the Mon/Wed it was this year). And now is the time when we can tell the law school which days we want to teach on, so I'm hoping to figure this out now.

Can you just buy a single day, or must you buy an entire week?

28 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I am trying to get a cost estimate for a single day of Voom Surf & Stream, but it keeps telling me to log in to my account. However, we haven't booked the cruise yet, so I can't do that.

I prefer to go completely internet-free for the whole week, but I do need to conduct video chat office hours with my students one afternoon (which thankfully happens to be one of our sea days as long as I schedule the class for Tuesday/Thursday schedule instead of the Mon/Wed it was this year). And now is the time when we can tell the law school which days we want to teach on, so I'm hoping to figure this out now.

You can buy a 24 hr. period. Plan on around $22.99 for surf & stream for the day.

27 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

you are a college professor who is currently teaching and want to not be available for your students for the week?  During the semester?

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You can buy a 24 hr. period. Plan on around $22.99 for surf & stream for the day.

Semi related question...  I know Diamonds get 1 day free internet.  Is that credited against total package if purchased in advance or does it have to be purchased on board?  
I don’t really need it for the week but wanted to check in at least once during the week and get test results for b2b. 

18 minutes ago, SheSailsFL said:

Semi related question...  I know Diamonds get 1 day free internet.  Is that credited against total package if purchased in advance or does it have to be purchased on board?  
I don’t really need it for the week but wanted to check in at least once during the week and get test results for b2b. 

No, you have to purchase on board to use your Diamond free day. However, you can use it on board and then buy single days as you need to.

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

you are a college professor who is currently teaching and want to not be available for your students for the week?  During the semester?

It's law school, and it's during a portion of the semester when there is no class for Fall Break but rather are working on assignments (or traveling). I'm offering video office hours if they have questions about the assignment during the day/time that their class would normally be, but I don't actually have to if I don't want to since the school is technically closed then anyway.

• Like 1