Travel Insurance with bank?

boatboy2000

Halifax Ultimate Reward £17 per month but pay in a certain figure per month - sorry can't recall how much - and they give you £5 back.  Offers Allianz insurance with cruising but not the bells and whistles. Does have benefit of offloading cover.

For Cruise cover you have to distinguish two separate sections:

1)  Are you covered for medical and evacuation whilst on the ship

2)  Are you covered for additional things like missed ports.

We have the Nationwide plus account which covers the first one (which is the essential part). The second one is an optional extra if you want it.

2 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

For Cruise cover you have to distinguish two separate sections:

1)  Are you covered for medical and evacuation whilst on the ship

2)  Are you covered for additional things like missed ports.

We have the Nationwide plus account which covers the first one (which is the essential part). The second one is an optional extra if you want it.

Yes that's what I meant by bells and whistles.  Do beware some policies do not include item 1.

Edited by Megabear2

19 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Halifax Ultimate Reward £17 per month but pay in a certain figure per month - sorry can't recall how much - and they give you £5 back.  Offers Allianz insurance with cruising but not the bells and whistles. Does have benefit of offloading cover.

Trouble with Halifax Ultimate is you have to pay £1500 minimum into account each month and the biggie is have a balance of £5000 or more for every day of the month to get the £5 back.

32 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble with Halifax Ultimate is you have to pay £1500 minimum into account each month and the biggie is have a balance of £5000 or more for every day of the month to get the £5 back.

You do pay in £1500 or more but there is no obligation to have £5000 in your account.   You need to spend £500 a month on your debit card which with fuel and food is sadly easily achievable! We use ours for household bills and it never has that amount in it, at most usually £2,000 at a time.

Edited by Megabear2

There is no requirement on the Nationwide Flexplus account to have regular amounts paid in, or to use it for D. D. payments etc.  We no longer use it as our principal current account so don't have a lot in there.  Also, if you have a joint account both account holders are covered.  

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You do pay in £1500 or more but there is no obligation to have £5000 in your account.   You need to spend £500 a month on your debit card which with fuel and food is sadly easily achievable! We use ours for household bills and it never has that amount in it, at most usually £2,000 at a time.

Correct we get the five pounds a month than they take seventeen off us to run it

34 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Having tipped over the 75 age, there are not many Banks that will cover me. Co op does until you are 80, so I may change to them this year. Anyonne with them ?

Nationwide will including over 80, but at an additional premium. 

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

If you dont spend £500 every month on your debit card which is not easily achievable for everybody you have to have £5000 in your account for each day of the month to get £5 reward cashback.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Nationwide will including over 80, but at an additional premium. 

Nationwide Flexplus covers you for travel insurance up to the age of 70 and over that you have to pay a premium of £65 every year and have a medical screening on a yearly basis.

Hi, We are with Barclays Travel Insurance. They have 2 levels £12.50  and £18. We have the Travel Plus Pack at £18pm which gives us worldwide cover, RAC recovery in UK and Europe and 6 Airport Lounge Passes a year. We used to have RAC cover which cost us about £120 p.a. and if you use Airport Lounges on special offer, it would still be about £20 ea...so £216 per year for the travel insurance is very cheap. They give full coverage for cruising and repatriation. I believe this Travel insurance is to the age of 80. (we are 66 and 69).

The downside...sort of. The insurance only covers for holidays/cruises up to 31 days. The upside..they will give you full cover for any additional days for a one off payment. For example: we are on a 65 day cruise around South America and back through Caribbean. We had to pay an additional £236 for the 2 of us. We are away in France and Germany for 75 days with our car and caravan and the cost for this including upgrading the RAC cover was £136.  For us this works out very cheaply considering what P&O travel insurance quoted us for the single trip around south America!!...I must look out the quote again.

Chris

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

If you dont spend £500 every month on your debit card which is not easily achievable for everybody you have to have £5000 in your account for each day of the month to get £5 reward cashback.

Yes I did say that.  As I say we use ours for household expenses so don't find £500 difficult but I acknowledge everyone is different.  However the travel insurance is excellent and with Allianz will cover my husband's myriad of serious health conditions on renewal for £293 a year compared to the £1,400 we had to pay Avanti in September for insurance that doesn't have the offloading cover.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:16 PM, Megabear2 said:

Yes I did say that.  As I say we use ours for household expenses so don't find £500 difficult but I acknowledge everyone is different.

Intetested as to why you use a debit card rather than a reward credit card (B.A, Virgin, IHG, Tesco - which includes several cruise lines in their reward scheme - etc.)?

Only use Amex credit card mainly for travel.  I fly a lot so have my monthoy debit card linked to Virgin to get extra shopping points which become free flights or upgrades.  I also use the debit card to get the benefits on Halifax account mentioned above. My husband's travel insurance costs mega amounts so with phone insurance and RAC spending £500 per month in groceries and fuel is worth the price of £17 per month reduced by a fiver.  

On 2/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, kruzseeka said:

There is no requirement on the Nationwide Flexplus account to have regular amounts paid in, or to use it for D. D. payments etc.  We no longer use it as our principal current account so don't have a lot in there.  Also, if you have a joint account both account holders are covered.  

My partner has a Nationwide FlexPlus account, and the annual travel insurance covers me too.