QM2 First time Cabin, Dress, and other questions

JSR

Thank you in advance for your help. I have been reading various threads and would like to get some updated information. We are doing the west bound transatlantic, Hamburg to NY. This is our first Cunard cruise, it my first crossing, and my husband's first in decades. He crossed numerous times on the SS United States as a child.

I need an ADA cabin and had a choice of one, 8127, it is Queen's Grill. I have read that in some QG cabins the balcony can be loud from the pool, and smokey but they were not specific about which cabins these were. Should I anticipate any of these issues on the balcony of 8127?

Weather: while I know this is unpredictable for those that have traveled at the end of June westbound to NY what is the weather like in general?

Dress, we will be taking this cruise after several weeks of touring in Northern Europe. We will probably need different clothes for the cruise back which is fine, we will use a luggage service but need clarity on how formal it is in reality. We are happy to dress up or down, we just do not want to bring clothes we will not need.  What do men and women wear in general for dinner in QG and on gala night?  Does a black suit work for gala night or is a tux more common or necessary? Does a cocktail length black dress work for women for gala nights or most it be full length or more ball gown style? Any details about day and night attire is most appreciated.

Port- which port in the NY area does QM2 doc at. I can not find that on my booking or online. I am sure it is there but I just can not find it. 

Tips: any tips on what to bring, not to be missed activities or places to hang out, or any thing. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Jean

1.I think the cabins with the smoke problem are the ones that face the stern, and overlook the pools. Yours should be fine.

2. Most people wear DJs, but a dark suit is fine., as are cocktail dresses.

3. Usually QM2 docks at Red Hook in Brooklyn.

34 minutes ago, JSR said:

Port- which port in the NY area does QM2 doc at. I can not find that on my booking or online. I am sure it is there but I just can not find it.

Don't feel like you've overlooked anything in your documentation from Cunard or on their website. Cunard should confirm your New York port as the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on your e-tickets when they are made available closer to your sailing. It has been many years since QM2 docked anywhere in New York other than the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

The best resource for specifics about New York cruise schedules can be found here on the "nycruise" website.

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

As you can see, all of QM2's scheduled calls in New York through 2022 will be at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

Re dress code....  There are some beautiful gowns but ballgowns are in the minority (lovely to see), and a lot of ladies wear  nice cocktail dresses.  I haven't worn a skirt for 25 years.  Myself, and lots of other ladies wear evening or soft trousers, with floaty tops, with a bit of bling and a little extra makeup.   I have never felt, nor have I ever been, underdressed on formal night.

I worried about it too much on my first Cunard cruise.  Not any more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Although we usually go Princess Grill (have been in Queen's G, but found it somewhat stuffy) and although John likes to dress up and usually goes with a tux, I'm a fan of a long black formal skirt and a white silk blouse with blingly jewelry and a pashmina type wrap. I can pack lots of wraps and keep the packing under control ( John doesn't agree). Dressy slacks with a "cocktail type" blouse/jacket/etc. works well too. Use jewelry, wraps ( I also use them as blankets if it's chilly in a venue), accessories to accent....

• Like 1

Absolutely agree 100% Mudhen.

I think myself, and probably a lot of ladies  have worried themselves silly over this.  I did.  On the first occasion I took dresses which just didn't suit me.  I dress for dinner every night on a cruise ,but make a special effort on formal nights.  Long floppy evening trousers look like a long skirt anyway.  I have never ever looked around and felt underdressed. 

Having said that,  ladies who love and wear gowns look fabulous.   I am reminded of one younger lady who was stunning in gold, with beautiful golden hair.  We had to say how fabulous she looked.  A while later her Partner came to us, thanked us and said we had no idea what we had said meant to her.  She had obviously suffered recently.   So we never know how just a simple comment can affect someone

• Like 4

I appreciate all that Indiana said above. This past summer our family group had dinner in an upscale Newport RI hotel. Near us was an Asian family, two young children in tow. So well behaved, so mannerly, I was truly impressed. On our way out, I stopped at the table and congratulated them on what well behaved and charming children they had. Well, "mom" gushed thanks, obviously happy that we thought their children were so good.

Long story short.....if you see something nice, good, or are impressed by, ....say something! It may make someone's day!

• Like 2

Above reminds me of a holiday 40 years, Southend, England (before I discovered cruising). I stopped to look at an open air art show and bought a small pen and ink drawing of a local church for a few pounds. Shortly afterwards a man approached me and asked whether I was the person who had bought the drawing. I confirmed I was, expecting to be told that it had been a mistake and could he refund me. Instead he said "that's the first picture my wife has ever sold and it's made her day. Thank you so much". So yes, you never know what a simple gesture might do.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the Very helpful information. The dock info, dress, and about the cabin. 

@Kohl1957 Yes my husband was very fortunate to have those experiences. While he won't be sneaking into the engine room or shooting skeet off the back of the ship nor traveling with his dog, or watching the family car being loaded into the hull,  it will be a lot of fun. I also noticed you are from DC. My husband and I were born and raised there. He left in the 80s and I joined him early 90s. 

@indiana123 and @Mudhen thank you for the reminder to always share compliments etc. Also for the detailed evening dress information.

What do you wear during the day? Are short pants allowed for men for lunch? I do not wear slacks as they are too difficult to get on and off in a wheelchair so would a casual sun dress be fine for lunch? I fear the dreaded over packing monster is about to appear. In the early 2000s even Royal Caribbean was very formal, now we have been doing more informal cruising in warm weather areas where we eat at outdoor venues with just a cover up. (OK so I admit the only place besides our homes I have been in 2 plus years is Maui which barely requires more then a few bathing suits, one nice dinner dress, and a couple cover ups). Been wearing Covid at home wear too long. 

I wrote this a yesterday or so but for some reason it did not post

Laughing at "at home covid wear" haha....We refer to this as "Evening clothes"....Gee, it's now 2pm, time for an adult beverage and evening clothes....Kind of excited to wear some of the long packed away, cruise wear, and dressing up!!!

Casual dress or skirt is fine daytime wear. Yes your husband could wear short pants.he would be in the minority. Jeans or khaki long pants fine at lunch time.  However, we find the rooms a bit chilly and any time of year the North Atlantic crossing can be quite cold. So don’t think my DH has ever worn shorts.  You may find a cardigan or sweater useful during meal times.

20 hours ago, JSR said:

I do not wear slacks as they are too difficult to get on and off in a wheelchair so would a casual sun dress be fine for lunch? I fear the dreaded over packing monster is about to appear. 

Just a thought.. In the Queens Room they have great classes, most of them suitable for shorts and tee shirts and the like.  What an array of different  casual outfits..  We love watching the classes and you see the same people trying all of them.  Loads of shorts.  I don't know about the mdrs.

I thought I would mention, as I am partially disabled myself, that in the Queens Room they do chair exercises.  I was a bit dubious but forced myself.,  I needn't have worried, loads of people able bodied and not so, all types, all ages joined it.  It was fun.

@hawaii123 thanks for the information. My husband was never worn jeans on a cruise, first time for everything. I am sure I will be chilly and he will be hot. LOL 

@indiana123 Thanks for the tips on the exercise classes. I will need to take a bunch of them. I assume also there is a gym and hopefully a track? My trainer will record my sessions as I have been working hard to lose weight and get in shape and fearful of 12 days on Silversea followed by 9 days on Cunard could undo a years worth of work. Yee Gads 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, JSR said:

Thank you everyone for the Very helpful information. The dock info, dress, and about the cabin. 

@Kohl1957 Yes my husband was very fortunate to have those experiences. While he won't be sneaking into the engine room or shooting skeet off the back of the ship nor traveling with his dog, or watching the family car being loaded into the hull,  it will be a lot of fun. I also noticed you are from DC. My husband and I were born and raised there. He left in the 80s and I joined him early 90s. 

I was born in DC.  And now live in New Mexico.  I assume the NM means you live here also.

@harpy Yes NM is New Mexico. We live outside of Albuquerque in the Sandia Mountains. How about you? 

I lived on 20th street under what is now the Duke Ellington bridge for half my childhood then moved to upper north west off Utah avenue not too far from St. John's school. As an adult I lived in Dupont Circle in the 80s and eventually moved up to Connecticut and Woodly. I am owned a small retail business in Dupont Circle until 1992 when I moved to NM. About 7 years ago we bought a condo in LA as well so we could see water and have some city life again. We go back and forth. What about you?