Key West

Ninner

Well, our family of four is going on our first cruise in 5 weeks and I have been on these boards every night till 1 or 2 in the morning!! I started knowing nothing but have learned so much. We are traveling on Rhapsody and know what shore excursions we want to do for all the ports except Key West. I need some good ideas and my husband wants to taste the best key lime pie he can possibly find. Please pass on some good advice.

Also, anyone know the best and most economical way to get from Houston (where we fly into) to Galveston and back again? We'll have a full day in Galveston before we leave. Any suggestions on what to do there? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Although I cant remember exactly what the excursion was called... We took a tour of keywest on a tram car. It pretty much traveled the entire town and stopped at all the historic sights. It was REALLY nice. They also pointed out the spots for the best drinks,food and PIE. Hope this helps.

It's called Old Town Trolley or Conch Train and can be found at

www.trolleytours.com or www.historictours.com but I could not access the second one this morning- everything you need to do there is within walking distance of the ship but the tour will give you an overview of what you might want to go back and do, see, eat and or drink!!!

It's expensive but seems to be worth it and unique, especially for nature lovers. (And when compared to what is charged for swimming with dolphins ... actually a good deal.)

Echo tours takes you on a small catamaran to where the dolphins live. You see them in their native state. And then you can snorkle a shipwreck. They provide food and on the return wine/beer.

Do a search for key west and echo and you'll find it.

Although I cant remember exactly what the excursion was called... We took a tour of keywest on a tram car. It pretty much traveled the entire town and stopped at all the historic sights. It was REALLY nice. They also pointed out the spots for the best drinks,food and PIE. Hope this helps.
To each his own - we went on one and found it so uninteresting that we just bailed at one of the stops and walked back to the ship.

Ninner, you are going to have a great time. We have done this cruise 4 times and just love it. The Rhapsody was our first cruise and it's kinds of like a first kiss, you always remember it.

You didn't mention the age of your children. In Galveston you can always go down to the beach on the Sewall and play in the Gulf, dinner at Caseys is always good, and in the evening you can take a walk down along the Strand. You'll see where your ship will be in the morning. This is all weather dependent.

Key West. The ship doesn't dock until 3 in the afternoon so that can kind of limits your activities. You can always shop along Duval street, walk down to the big marker that says southern most point and go have a cheeseburger at Margaritaville. The Sunset cruise on Fury Catamarans is fun, or just watching the Sunset Celebration in Mallory Square. Just watch out for some of the bars on Duval street after dark, they can get a bit off color to put it mildly. So depending on the age of your children be advised. The sail away party is fun. Watching the drunks come back to the ship can be a show in itself.

I can't give you any information as to the best way from Houston to Galveston. We live in San Antonio and always drive down. Check the ports thread on CC.

Have a great time. We will be on the ship 14 May for our sons graduation from College cruise.

Sherry

I have been on the Rhapsody twice and stopped in Key West both times,

I had the chocolate covered Key Lime pie in 4 different shops and I can say I didn't find a bad one anywhere. In fact I took one to the ship and tried to keep it in my fridge. That didn't work to well. As far as something to do since you are docked so late you my try the Ghost tours of Key West, its about $15 for adults don't know the childrens price. My husband thought it was corny but there were a lot of kids there and they seemed to enjoy it. Its not scary and its basically a walking tour of Key West at night. Your guide is dressed up in a top hat a cape so as you are walking around and bystanders start staring he has everyone yell "Doomed to You" they all turn and walk away fast. Take your camera because he says sometimes you can get pictures of ghosts (I didn't). It does give you history of Key West.

We rented Mopeds but wouldn't recommend this with kids because there is a lot of traffic. Whatever you choose to do don't forget to go to the southernmost point of the US and take a picture!

Check out:

http://www.keywestsebago.com/

A nice walk from the ship. Good equipment and professional. Save some $'s for drinks at O'Kevins on Duval. Watch your times, but give them a call, we parasailed with our friends (4) of us for an hour at a resonable rate. Other boats had many more people on them.

Square

The most fun to be had in Key West (with your clothes on, anyway) is the Ghost Tour that leaves out of the La Concha hotel at 8 and 9 p.m. each night. Get Diamond Dave if possible. For more info on the ghost tour:

http://www.hauntedtours.com/LaConcha.html

The Old Town Trolley, IMO, is MUCH better. They let you off at each stop, still give you LOADS of information, and you go at your leisure. I like the train because you can choose to get off and explore the area on your own, and get back on the next train when you want.

(http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp?SID=15&Product_ID=13&kc=y)

I liked Kermit's Key Lime Shop the best of all of them. The frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate is NOT to be missed.

http://www.keylimeshop.com/

I've stayed in Key West for long vacations, and also visited on cruise ships. While on a cruise ship, I always take the same excursion, the Nature Kyacking. It is JUST awesome. You don't need to be in super good shape, you learn a lot about the ecosystems of the Florida Keys (more interesting than it sounds). On the tour I have seen manatees, nurse sharks, jellies, BEAUTIFUL birds, conchs, and a lot of other things.

http://www.hurricaneholekeywest.com/hurricaneholewatersports.htm

Margaritaville is crowded and a long walk from the peir, but worth it. The Southernmost point is a longer walk, not as crowded, but also worth it. Get Flamingo's Ice Cream when at the Southernmost and check out the butterfly conservatory. I'm 27 and like a good party and LOVED the conservatory, so did DH. DO IT ON YOUR OWN do NOT take the cruise tour. They were herded through like cattle.

http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/

The Key West board is usually pretty helpful on this!

If time is limited (and ours was when we were there) just walking about the town is fun. There's lots of shopping, lots of bars, and restaurants, etc... Best of all, doing it on your own costs you nothing! And--your cell phone will work there--after all, it's the good ole US of A!! (Great if you need to touch base with home or work). We did the trolley tour, but looking back, could have totally done without it. Did enjoy just hanging around and wandering!

IMHO there really is no need to purchase an excursion in Key West, unless you want to go fishing or go on a snorkeling trip out to the small reef. The big thing in Key West is exploring the many shops or visit the Mel Fisher museum right across the street from the Hilton. Visit Smathers beach or just sample frozen drinks all day. You can rent those cute little electric cars and tour around town with the whole family...that's fun and not very expensive. There is also a great aquarium near the where the ship docks. And if you are there around sunset you have to go to Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. Lots to do there and you don't need a whole lotta money.

We took this cruise in January. We took a shuttle van that cost $150 each way. We did not have a good experience. After coming home and doing more research, I wished we would have taken a rental car. Enterprise does one ways. It would have been less expensive and we would have had the luxury of being able to go wherever we wanted both before and after the cruise.

P.S. If you take a shuttle van - ask questions! Like are they licensed and do they carry insurance. Ours didn't, and it caused stress and problems at the airport on pick up.

For the local experience (or as close as you can get) go to the Schooner Wharf Bar at Key West Bight and PTs late night on Caroline St. (good food all day, many marine aquariums), both have web sites.

Will also be on the Ap 2 Rhapsody--first cruise. I know the ship docks late, but we're going to try for the Hemingway house to see the cat colony, and the Kino sandal factory--handmade sandals $10/pair. Can't be beat. Does anyone know when Kino's closes? Their website doesn't post hours.

Grandeur was the first ship to dock after Wilma last year. It was a mess but they were working hard to get everything back together and operational. I would recommend that you do your own thing off the conch train or something like that where you can get on or off where ever you want to. Two of my tablemates rented scooters and went to the beach and Southern most point, but nearly got in trouble when stopped by the police because the tags on the scooters were expired! I did the Taste of Key West and pesonally wasn't impressed with it at all. Maybe it was a personality conflict with the guide, but he seemed to be a goof ball, he was dirty, like covered in concrete dust and dried mud, and was silly, trying to be a comedian and came off as a flake. The third couple at our table did the conch train and really enjoyed getting on and off to check out different stuff. Good luck with it, and enjoy.

Wraithe

Archived