Hot Sauce on Sky Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Just off the ruby and only "hot sauce" we saw was tabasco.  

Hubs and I both commented on how bland the food was... couldn't find heat anywhere.  AWW, we lived, but plan on taking at least some chili oil with us on the next one!  LOL

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, LACruiser88 said:

We are currently on the Emerald and we always bring our favorite hot sauce with us (Chalula).  Our waiter keeps it for us at his station.

Cholula is my favorite, too. Never thought to bring it with me. I’ll consider that!

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, LACruiser88 said:

We are currently on the Emerald and we always bring our favorite hot sauce with us (Chalula).  Our waiter keeps it for us at his station.

Cholula hot sauce is also our favorite. I buy it in single serving pouches and bring a generous amount on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They also have jalapenos and dried chili peppers, but sometimes it may take awhile to get it.  Just back from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii.  There were about a half a dozen dishes that specified chili as one of the ingredients, but if you didn't look at the listing you would swear the dishes didn't have chili in them.  The hottest dish I had in 15 days didn't list as having anything hot, a paella with calamari steak and pork belly.  It was the last night of the cruise, maybe the cooks wanted to cook something to their taste rather than to the taste of their passengers who seem to prefer bland.

• Thanks 1

We were raised in the Midwest where bland food was the norm.  We now live in the Southwest where spicy food is the norm.  We lived for several years in New Mexico and quickly learned what red, green or christmas meant.  When our relatives come here to visit they always ask us to tone down the spice.  Even then they complain about it being too hot.  I believe this reason is why the cruise lines tend toward bland food.  I had never considered bringing my own hot sauce as the only one I have found onboard is Tobasco which I like along with several others mentioned above.  I think my packing list just increased by one! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

Today I went to the WFM and scoped out the available hot sauce.  They had green and red Tobasco and Sriracha sauce only.  

The picture the OP posted was of Siracha sauce and that is the way the same bottle, as shown in the picture, is labelled by Huy Fong Food for sale  in the San Francisco Bay area. I suspect that Huy Fong Food labels it as Chili Garlic Sauce in various regions of the country.

Edited by brisalta

I have a high tolerance for spice, and I've never been on a cruise line that has something that really packs a punch.  I understand that my taste buds and tolerance are probably top 5% of people though, if not higher.  I've asked Holland America up in the Lido buffet to make something spicier, and it was "meh..." in the end and a wasted effort even though they were trying to do me a favor and get the hottest stuff they had.

Granted, I don't have to have spicy food at every meal.  If it were important to me, I'd go with others suggestions and BYOB.

Edited by Mike07
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, brisalta said:

The picture the OP posted was of Siracha sauce and that is the way the same bottle, as shown in the picture, is labelled by Huy Fong Food for sale  in the San Francisco Bay area. I suspect that Huy Fong Food labels it as Chili Garlic Sauce in various regions of the country.

I am the OP, and although both are made by the same company, Siracha is not the same as their Chili Garlic Sauce.  Siracha is much more liquidy so you can squeeze it out of the spout.  You need a spoon to get at the good stuff (the chili garlic sauce).  I buy both at my local market.

siracha.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2022 at 8:24 PM, enfuego4cruising said:

Cholula hot sauce is also our favorite. I buy it in single serving pouches and bring a generous amount on board.

Out of curiosity - what is the Best By Duration on those packets?  If I buy a box of 200 for upcoming Cruise, summer camping, etc - do they go bad or expire?  Thanks!

Taco Bell hot sauce packs were found in King Tut's tomb. Someone tasted them and that is where the Mummy's Curse originated. They were also discovered in the pyramids of Mexico, home of Montezuma's Revenge.

Coincidence? I think not.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonyInSeattle said:

Out of curiosity - what is the Best By Duration on those packets?  If I buy a box of 200 for upcoming Cruise, summer camping, etc - do they go bad or expire?  Thanks!

I recently bought the 200 count box. They have an expiration date of October 2022. I have read that they will last well beyond the expiration date if refrigerated. Time will tell...

• Like 2

Overall, I think Princess has pretty bland food.  The Indian and Mexican dishes are particularly disappointing. I have found that the hottest sauce available is tabasco and I'm not really a fan of that.  I take a small shaker of cayenne and a bottle of habanero Yucateco when we cruise.  It makes certain dishes much more enjoyable.

• Like 1