Using a UK Dyson airwrap on Emmerald Princess

shopping girl

Hi I have a Dyson airwrap bought in the UK we are cruising on Emmerald Princess. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use this convertor adaptor  so  I can use my airwrap on the ship? 

I have added the link below

https://www.boots.com/go-travel-uk-worldwide-adaptor-10263054p?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs-_-Catch_All-_-UK_Smart_Shopping_Catch_All_Google&gclid=CjwKCAiAx8KQBhAGEiwAD3EiP6SBot7mWuoKKCd_XfVjYNBZqPyq96KKjeawgto4x6_s-lqq9J7eGRoC3f4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I know the ones sold in the US will not work with a converter in Europe. At least the manual says not to use a converter.

thank you looks like i wont be able to use it 

Edited by shopping girl
leave a comment

3 hours ago, db51 said:

I am puzzled - why shouldn’t it work with an American/European adapter- curling tongs and hairdryers do. Very worrying news -what will I do?!!

I think its because the USA use different voltage to UK. I'm still hoping I maybe able to use it some how 🤞

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Why not look under the bed where there typically is a European socket with 220-240 volts AC?

I did not know there was sockets under the beds with different voltage. I hope you are right as I will be so happy. Thank you for this tip much appreciated 😁

Okay, unlike most hair care appliance manufacturers, Dyson does not produce "dual voltage" (can plug into anything from 100-250v) devices.  So, a US made Dyson will require a transformer as well as an outlet converter to work in Europe.  A UK made Dyson (the OP), may work on a ship with the outlet converter linked, in the 220v outlet.  I say might work, as I am not familiar with the UK Dyson products, but I have heard reports of US Dyson products not working on ships.  This is because both US and UK/European electrical systems, the "neutral" wire and the "ground" wire are at the same voltage, while on ships this is not the case.  I believe that some of the electronics in the Dyson devices that convert the incoming power for the digital motors, requires that the neutral and ground be at the same voltage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Okay, unlike most hair care appliance manufacturers, Dyson does not produce "dual voltage" (can plug into anything from 100-250v) devices.  So, a US made Dyson will require a transformer as well as an outlet converter to work in Europe.  A UK made Dyson (the OP), may work on a ship with the outlet converter linked, in the 220v outlet.  I say might work, as I am not familiar with the UK Dyson products, but I have heard reports of US Dyson products not working on ships.  This is because both US and UK/European electrical systems, the "neutral" wire and the "ground" wire are at the same voltage, while on ships this is not the case.  I believe that some of the electronics in the Dyson devices that convert the incoming power for the digital motors, requires that the neutral and ground be at the same voltage.

I brought my US Dyson hair dryer on the Grand in December but I ended up not using (just let air dry my hair instead - I had time to do air dry). This thing has an unusual power cord which is why I was thinking that it wouldn't work with usual converters. I do know the warranty says that it voids the warranty to use it outside of the country. I assumed the US one would work on the ship but didn't even try it. Thanks for the info.

41 minutes ago, db51 said:

In the sky suite on sky princess there is a Dyson hairdryer - how would that work? 

Seriously - that is cool. I am surprised. These need filters cleaned frequently and I am surprised they would put them on the ship. The person who does my hair went through a demo with it and said that the filter must be cleaned after every use and she thought that was unrealistic working at a busy salon.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thank you im very disappointed that I may not be able to use my airwrap. Really annoying that Dyson did not add a dual voltage especially as their products are expensive 😩

56 minutes ago, shopping girl said:

Thank you im very disappointed that I may not be able to use my airwrap. Really annoying that Dyson did not add a dual voltage especially as their products are expensive 😩

Regardless of whether the device is dual voltage, the problems with the floating ground on ships is the same whether 110v or 220v.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shopping girl said:

These are pretty sophisticated devices. I know some high end flat iron straighteners also do not work with converters

2 hours ago, Coral said:

These are pretty sophisticated devices. I know some high end flat iron straighteners also do not work with converters

I am aware that some ceramic hair straighteners don't work on ships, but not sure what a voltage converter would have to do with it.  It is again a problem with the neutral and ground being at different voltages, but that would exist with or without a converter.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, coloradocruiselover88 said:

Dyson airwraps are very expensive (in my opinion) I would not risk it.

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

I know it voids warranty. They are expensive!

Dyson says you can use it anywhere that the voltage is the same as the country of purchase.  If you use a voltage transformer, the 220v outlet puts out 110v, just like the US, or use the 220v outlet for a UK device.  If plugged in on a ship, at the proper voltage, there is no risk to the device, it just won't turn on.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Dyson says you can use it anywhere that the voltage is the same as the country of purchase.  If you use a voltage transformer, the 220v outlet puts out 110v, just like the US, or use the 220v outlet for a UK device.  If plugged in on a ship, at the proper voltage, there is no risk to the device, it just won't turn on.

I am just going to trust you on this! I have never seen so many warnings on a blow dryer as I have on this product.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Looks like my airwrap will be staying home. As you say its too expensive to try and use it. It's such a shame that dyson did not make them dual voltage as the US and Canada has the same problem in UK and Europe. They are expensive hair products that should have a dual voltage. I never ever thought it would make a difference to my hair styling but it has its amazing I will miss  using it 😩

18 hours ago, Coral said:

I am just going to trust you on this! I have never seen so many warnings on a blow dryer as I have on this product.

I realize the original poster is not in the usa.

But, in the usa, there really seems to be warning for everything.

"do no use this drug if you are alergic to it..."

41-416284_doh-homer-simpson-quotes-on-qu

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It would be cheaper to schedule an appt. in the beauty salon...just sayin'.

Hi my thoughts were exactly the same as yours about the dyson airwrap. A friend of mine had one and kept raving about it. QVC had an offer on it so I bought it as I could use it for 30 days and if I did not like it I could return it for a full refund. I thought it was all hype too. But after getting used to using it surprisingly I loved it and I style my hair in no time and it does what it says it looks like I have been to a hair salon every time I use it. Also my hair is in great condition too due to the heat protection. So I now don't knock anything until I've tried it. I could go to the salon I know that but I wouldn't need to if I could use my airwrap. It has also saved me money as I don't go to the hairdressers as often as I did 😁

• Like 1