Emily in Paris

sailing canary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't but I did like The Hookup Plan, which has a different title in French. It's a bit of a strange way to have two characters meet (I won't say) but it definitely has it's funny moments. The show just ended its 3rd season, they did a sort of rushed final episode, perhaps they got the news it was ending and decided to shoot some kind of a quick wrap up to the story lines. Anyway, otherwise fun. Saucy at times, but in a way that fit the show and also funny. 

There's also a French Real Estate reality show which is a family that runs their own company, mostly high end real estate so you get to inside some Niiiiiice places in/around Paris and countryside. If anyone is up for something darker, La Mante is about a serial killer, well done show, and Bureau des Legends is about a French Intelligence Division, also very well done. For WWII drama, definitely very intense, A French Village. 

And it's ok if we occasionally talk about France related things here, food, wine, shopping, movies, tv. For  many of us, it's been a long time since we've traveled and enjoying the culture in some way helps keep us connected to places we love and enjoy. 

No worries, enjoy the occasional conversation on various things 🇫🇷

Let me start by saying that I'm an unlikely apologist for this fluffy show. But I feel the critics are being unnecessarily harsh. It's not intended to reflect reality, it is a bit of fun and escapism at best.

Given that it's created by some of the same team that brought us the original Sex and the City, I see a lot of similarities in the shows -- unrealistic fashion given the means of the characters (at least Emily has a job that might yield her access to samples or designer discounts); constant unrealistic encounters with interesting (and interested) members of the opposite sex; unlikely plot devices; and so on.

Yet somehow people accepted these things about SATC. Emily is lambasted for never taking the Metro, yet I can't recall Carrie et al spending any time on the NY Subway! (In fact if I remember correctly, Carrie tried taking the subway once and then chucked it.

Both shows are really paeans to the cities where they are set. Just as SATC makes me want to visit NYC, Emily in Paris serves up mouthwatering Paris scenery.  Yes, the stereotypes trouble me a bit. But then again -- SATC was full of them:  commitment-phobic men, biological-clock watching single women, workaholics, etc.

• Like 3