Has anyone done the Switch health antigen tests (the telehealth one)

DHLuCruise

We are going to use it in March when we return to Canada from our cruise. 

How long do the tests take to do for a family of 4? We are thinking we can do it from the the cabin at 6AM right when we dock in port and can get a cell signal.

Otherwise, we are thinking about getting internet on the last sea day to just do the test.

2 hours ago, flyingandcruising said:

This may be a stupid question but can this be done in the car at the side of the road or in a parking lot with a data plan? 

Absolutely they can.  Just make sure you have a work surface set aside to place things so that nothing ends up on the floor.

Yes, my DH was my dependant…which led to the inevitable joke… We tried to use my iPad, which Switch said would work, but it didn’t so we used the phone and propped it up with a book. Just need to put the phone on a table so that the proctor can see the test strip and you at the same time.

48 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Perfect thank you. One thing I am confused about is when it is time  to do the test, how do you ensure that you get connected at that time? Do you have to book two appts if you are one plus dependent. I will reread but it isnt clear to me.

There is no way to ensure you get connected as such.  Once you are ready to take the test you sign on an get into a queue.  There are times when it can be a few minutes, but as of late the wait time is very reasonable.  As for the dependent you just inform the proctor you will be doing 2 tests.

16 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you registered one as a dependent? Did you request a single call or did you ask when connected?

The FAQs say that you have to be registered before the call to do the test.  If not, you have to do it on another call.  You can't add someone on the call . 

28 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

Do we know for sure this will be acceptable for getting back in to Canada?  As of March 1 rapid tests are accepted but everything I've read says "lab administered". Do you think self tests, proctored count?

There was a statement that said telehealth tests would be acceptable. 

• Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html

As soon as it was announced, I bought the Switch Health 2 pk antigen test to take with me this weekend when I board Symphony. I plan to do it on the evening before disembarkation. That way, should anything go awry, I can still hit the terminal when I get off and have an antigen test done there.

Always have a back up plan!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, melbur said:

As soon as it was announced, I bought the Switch Health 2 pk antigen test to take with me this weekend when I board Symphony. I plan to do it on the evening before disembarkation. That way, should anything go awry, I can still hit the terminal when I get off and have an antigen test done there.

Always have a back up plan!

Same. Worst  case for us is a test at the airport. 

We just got home from our cruise this week.  I used the 2/pk rapid antigen test in the hotel room in order to board the cruise...it took about 5 minutes for the results to show up on the tester and then another 5 after i sent the photo to Switch health.  We printed the test result in the hotel lobby and they were good for boarding.  

To return home we brought 2 of the RT-LAMP tests with us, logged on in the cabin the night before we docked and did the test that way.  It took the full 30 minutes for the machines to read results and you have to keep them very still (not sure I would do this in a car).  Again we took and sent pictures, got the email and were able to print at a hotel before we crossed by land.  I did them on the ship in case we needed a PCR test on the way home (error or malfunction).

Each time they would not do both of us on one call - we each needed to call which in theory is faster if you can do it simultaneously without being distracted.  Of course as of next week the PCR test is no longer needed but the Rapid Antigen was super fast and easy and I will be taking our spare 2/pk with us to AZ in a few months.

Each call is different too - my ladies gave instructions and just sat while I did it.  My husband got a woman who made him hold his phone and make sure she could see every step up close which really flustered him.

• Thanks 1

You're experience is similar to ours in that we had to do separate calls for our antigen tests and my proctor was more laid back.  My wife had one that took about 3 times as long and almost demanded that she not take a single step unless she authorized it.  My wife also was given a take home Switch Health PCR test which the proctor again was super slow and methodical.  

9 hours ago, melbrook said:

We just got home from our cruise this week.  I used the 2/pk rapid antigen test in the hotel room in order to board the cruise...it took about 5 minutes for the results to show up on the tester and then another 5 after i sent the photo to Switch health.  We printed the test result in the hotel lobby and they were good for boarding.  

Oooh.. This is important information. So the switch health rapid tests are valid for cruising? I assumed it was because the underlying maker  (SD Biosensor)  seems to be FDA approved as a video-based antigen test (as per this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/155123/download ), but never spoke to anyone that actually used it to cruise.

What cruise-line were you on? 

Sorry if this was asked before as we just want to be clear before we purchase.

Air Canada sent us the Switch Health link yesterday.  The rapid antigen test is a two pack but I read somewhere that the two pack is really meant for one person in case one doesn't work rather than a two pack for two people?   

You can 100% use the 2 pack for 2 individuals.  There is a good reason there is a spare as they are far from foolproof.  For one thing the bloody QR code stickers are so easy to tear.  With that said there is actually a spare QR code for EACH test so 4 in total.  My wife wrecked the first sticker and she is far more careful than I am with such things.  

When I did my first SwitchHealth antigen test, there were 78 people ahead of me, and it took an hour to get a telehealth person. The results came almost 2 hours after that. Yesterday I did the PCR test for my flight home, and got on within 10 minutes. The results after that test, came in only 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1