St. Petersburg -potential substitutions?

lionheart

We decided to cancel our 7/2/22 Voyager of the Seas cruise which had St. Pete replaced with Latvia. Yah no thank you! We replaced it with a River Cruise--Amawaterways Amastella Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, flannbarr said:

We decided to cancel our 7/2/22 Voyager of the Seas cruise which had St. Pete replaced with Latvia. Yah no thank you! We replaced it with a River Cruise--Amawaterways Amastella Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel.

I hope you have a great time!!!

We were also scheduled on the 7/2/22 Voyager of the Seas cruise and have decided to cancel as well. We were really hoping to keep the cruise as we have already paid a lot for air fare  and the airline will only allow us to change up to one year from the purchase date (which only gives us a couple of extra months). Air fares have been constantly rising since we booked and it is hard to find an alternative for the same price. However, while we wouldn’t mind seeing Riga as an extra port,  in our minds it is not even close to replacing SPB as the “A list” destination, which was the main reason we chose this itinerary.  The extra day in Stockholm didn’t help either as we had already planned on extra days there after the cruise.  We were hoping for Berlin or Copenhagen as replacements but certainly understand the logistics might not be possible.  Hate to give up a visit to Estonia but the new itinerary just doesn’t justify the cost of the trip for us. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, Goodtimes57 said:

US currency was used on board and even elsewhere as well. But for fun and the experience, we exchanged US currency for several other currencies at our bank before we left the US. We didn't port at Visby so I can't help you there. Our cruise started & ended in Amsterdam, then Skagen Denmark, Aahus, Denmark, Tallinn Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki Finland, Stockholm Sweden, Rostock (Berlin) Germany, Copenhagen Denmark, and then returned to Amsterdam. 

I did a 'live' review on CC but can not find it now in the search format. so they may have dropped it. I'll keep looking though. If I recall, it was titled To Russia with Love, dated around 4-27-18. My handle then was Goodtime Cruizin .

Thanks! I will start trying to dig for your review

On 3/2/2022 at 4:52 AM, ditmar2007 said:

Medieval - not renaissance 🙂 In Scandinavia viking period is aprox. 800-1100 and medieval is 1100-1550 (ends with the reformation). The medieval week covers both periods. 

If you can walk a couple of kilometers without problems, everything i Visby is walking distance. But there is a lot of uphill and downhill.

The medieval week spreads all over town. A bit outside of town you'll find the jousting and the market site - still within walking distance. It is really a great experience.

The town walls are remarkably intact, and during the medieval week there are no cars within the town walls. Also: leftover from the Hanseatic period you have a LOT of church ruins - some of them the size of cathedrals. I guess several rich merchants promised a god a church if the survived the storm.

I believe I clocked 26,000 steps the day I went there in September (not medieval week), but I did a lot of walking around the town - more than necessary to experience the medieval week.

Oh, and Visby is in Sweden so the currency is Swedish Kroner  (SEK). You may be able to use EUR, but probably not USD.

Thanks!  

My husband and I actually do Rus Viking when we go to TRF (Texas renaissance faire) so we're looking forward to getting to go to Sweden's medieval week- and seeing what authentic wares we can pick up to add to our collection. 

Visby looks like a great island with a lot roses and I suspect we'll put some steps in too

• Like 1

Personally, I would be cancelling that cruise.  Nobody needs stress surrounding a vacation.  Nobody wants to give Russia money right now.  

Sorry to say, I would not take that cruise for free right now.

JMHO and YMMV, but you would be wrong. 😆

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Personally, I would be cancelling that cruise.  Nobody needs stress surrounding a vacation.  Nobody wants to give Russia money right now.  

Sorry to say, I would not take that cruise for free right now.

JMHO and YMMV, but you would be wrong. 😆

It is no longer going to Russia.