Captain

Jordanyaya1

11 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, as short as I Am 5' 8.5", I would need quite a tall step stool to reach that level... LOL

bon voyage

As I am also 5' 8.5" (with lifts in my shoes) I take exception to the "short" reference, my husband is 6' 3" and the step stool is just perfect, in addition to being able to reach the top shelf in the cupboards.

• Haha 1

On a more serious note, we've found that--as with the Cruise Director--the captain's temperament really does/can drive the  tone of the ship for the staff and crew. Once we memorably sailed with a very bad tempered captain who didn't bother to greet or make eye contact with the guests, whether walking down the hall or at the "Captain's Reception," at the Medallion ceremony for long-time cruisers, etc. His officers scurrying along with him also ignored all pax (and acted as if everything, at all times, was an emergency to rush to). That being said, he spoke almost unintelligible English (in his morning announcements, etc.) and the CD had to go behind and translate. So perhaps he was fiercely uncomfortable.

Another ship was involved in changing out the roles of the staff. The hotel manager had been a chef but, from our tablemates, had no idea how to run the hotel. Guest relations manager was clueless (greet people, make eye contact listen to them instead of checking your phone). The brand- new CD was invisible--we saw her once, when she proudly informed us that prior to *our* cruise, she had been a beverage manager. Yup--and it showed. Again, all reporting to a surly captain.

Edited by sofietucker

2 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

On a more serious note, we've found that--as with the Cruise Director--the captain's temperament really does/can drive the  tone of the ship for the staff and crew. Once memorably sailed with a very bad tempered captain who didn't bother to greet or make eye contact with the guests, whether walking down the hall or at the "Captain's Reception," at the etc. His officers scurrying along with him also ignored all pax (and acted as if everything, at all times, was an emergency to rush to). That being said, he spoke almost unintelligible English is his morning announcements and the CD had to go behind and translate. So perhaps he was fiercely uncomfortable.

Another ship was involved in changing out the roles of the staff. The hotel manager had been a chef but, from our tablemates, had no idea how to run the hotel. Guest relations manager was clueless (greet people, make eye contact listen to them instead of checking your phone). The brand- new CD was invisible--we saw her once, when she proudly informed us that prior to *our* cruise, she had been a beverage manager. Yup--and it showed. Again, all reporting to a surly captain.

I suppose one can consider this "a more serious note", if such things as rubbing elbows with the captain or other officers etc. is important to you.  It means nothing to me though, I'm there for the ship, destinations, multiple sea day, food and drink.

• Like 1

Just now, LGW59 said:

I suppose one can consider this "a more serious note", if such things as rubbing elbows with the captain or other officers etc. is important to you.  It means nothing to me though, I'm there for the ship, destinations, multiple sea day, food and drink.

Agreed. But I should have explained that the trickle-down attitude can also affect the bar and restaurant staff, stewards-everyone . One one of these ships, we saw a maitre'd publicly chewing out a server and sommelier. There was an atmosphere of anxiety in the lower ranks.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:59 AM, TeeRick said:

Yes I have no idea why this information would not be generally available for Celebrity - except for asking on these boards (ie, word of mouth).

Many of the Captain's post on Instagram and may drop lines of when they leave or return to their ship or post pictures of fun at home.  Some have some pretty strong following - e.g. Captain Kate.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Many of the Captain's post on Instagram and may drop lines of when they leave or return to their ship or post pictures of fun at home.  Some have some pretty strong following - e.g. Captain Kate.

Good Lord Jim, do you ever sleep or turn off your computer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2