Insurance for Oceania ATW Cruise

njhorseman

With any luck our TA will be booking us on the 2024 ATW tomorrow.

I'm curious about how and where those of you who have taken O's ATW cruise obtained trip cancellation, medical, and evacuation insurance. Standard package policies don't seem to be available on the open market for cruises of that length and cost. I already have a well-known trip insurance agent investigating on our behalf and our travel agent says he can offer us a "complimentary" policy in lieu of shipboard credit but I haven't yet seen the policy details to determine what that policy covers. Having spent most of my business career in the insurance industry I'm obsessive about those coverage details. 🙂

Does O itself offer insurance for the ATW? Admittedly that would be my last choice because cruise line policies often have relatively less generous coverage than policies available on the open market, and very importantly cruise line policies normally do not offer coverage if the cruise line declares bankruptcy. Unfortunately in this day and age with the cruise lines still bleeding cash that has to be a concern . I'm sure most if not all of you know that recently Genting Hong Kong declared bankruptcy and operations of its cruise line subsidiaries including Crystal have ceased and the company is being liquidated.

We are on Medicare, so other than limited coverage from our Medicare supplement policy we do not have health insurance coverage outside the USA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Note to the board moderator: Please do not move this to the insurance forum as I need some Oceania-specific information. Thanks.

Edited by njhorseman

I have found very good success with my insurance purchases through TripInsuranceStore.com.  They have a regular forum here on Cruise Critic where you might find answers to your unique issue.  I find the best way is to just call them.  Good Luck on your ATW booking!

6 minutes ago, tigerfan75 said:

I have found very good success with my insurance purchases through TripInsuranceStore.com.  They have a regular forum here on Cruise Critic where you might find answers to your unique issue.  I find the best way is to just call them.  Good Luck on your ATW booking!

Thanks.

The insurance agent I have already spoken to is Steve, the owner of Trip Insurance Store but as yet he hasn't gotten back to me with a proposal. I've purchased insurance from his agency many times but he doesn't normally offer policies from every company so I want to look beyond what he may have.

Thanks to everyone who may have read my original post and thought about how they might answer.

I've done a bit of additional research and by reading the Roll Call thread for the 2023 ATW I found several possibilities, so I think I'm OK to move forward on my own.

Thanks again.

Just a clarification about your comment re Vendor Default coverage:  this only applies to cettain vendors which the insurance company thinks are stable enough to insure.  Crystal hasn't been on the Allianz list for some time.

46 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just a clarification about your comment re Vendor Default coverage:  this only applies to cettain vendors which the insurance company thinks are stable enough to insure.  Crystal hasn't been on the Allianz list for some time.

I know.

The point is that I've never seen insurance offered through a cruise line that includes vendor default coverage for the that cruise line . That's only a feature in independently offered policies... and can even be present if a company offering the policy is the same company that is the actual insurer of the cruise line offered policy.

One major company I checked actually still covered Crystal until GHK filed for liquidation a few weeks ago.

38 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I had Berkshire Hathaway on my 2019 ATW, and can't say enough good things about the services I received from them when I got ill, and had to take some 'time off' from the cruise....

Bob

Thanks . Good to hear from you.