Gluten Free Dining

Mimiya11

On our last Celebrity cruise (2 years ago), the quality and availability of gluten free breads, burger buns, etc was not great.   Any recent cruises with GF dietary needs.  This is not a celiac issue but a wheat allergy.   

What prompted this question was all the delicious looking posts of burgers! 

We sailed on the January 22nd Apex sailing.  My husband has Celiac Disease.  The GF options were hit or miss. We dined in Blu and one night in Tuscan.   No rolls were served.  It became rather boring for him as he was only offered toast for bread.  I really don't understand why that was as there are many different types of frozen GF rolls and biscuits.  Muffins were offered at breakfast and pizza was available in the buffet.  The muffins were frozen and not as good as they could have been.  He tried the pancakes and decided to just stick to egg options for breakfast.  He certainly did not go hungry.  There were enough GF entre options to give him a good verity to choose from.   Celebrity just needs to upgrade their bakery options and make it easier to determine GF items in the buffet.

28 minutes ago, Nashna said:

We sailed on the January 22nd Apex sailing.  My husband has Celiac Disease.  The GF options were hit or miss. We dined in Blu and one night in Tuscan.   No rolls were served.  It became rather boring for him as he was only offered toast for bread.  I really don't understand why that was as there are many different types of frozen GF rolls and biscuits.  Muffins were offered at breakfast and pizza was available in the buffet.  The muffins were frozen and not as good as they could have been.  He tried the pancakes and decided to just stick to egg options for breakfast.  He certainly did not go hungry.  There were enough GF entre options to give him a good verity to choose from.   Celebrity just needs to upgrade their bakery options and make it easier to determine GF items in the buffet.

Thanks for the heads up.  

We found the same in Blu 2 years ago.  Delish bread baskets for us, crappy toast for  him.   

What a shame. Three years ago, we sailed on NCL and the GF options and quality were terrific.   Had hoped that Celebrity raised the bar since options are unlimited now on land.    

Having sailed Celebrity twice now, they are probably the best line dealing with my GF needs. They really try to make a menu item gluten free that they can. Very similar to Disney and way better than Royal.

That said I have never gotten good bread on board a cruise line. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to be just a Celebrity issue. I will say over the years now I generally order my burgers without buns even if a decent GF option is available. Mostly because I have yet to find a gluten free bun that will not fall apart when paired with a juicy burger, or even a dry one. I do miss different kinds of rolls at supper but have learned to live without.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Having sailed Celebrity twice now, they are probably the best line dealing with my GF needs. They really try to make a menu item gluten free that they can. Very similar to Disney and way better than Royal.

That said I have never gotten good bread on board a cruise line. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to be just a Celebrity issue. I will say over the years now I generally order my burgers without buns even if a decent GF option is available. Mostly because I have yet to find a gluten free bun that will not fall apart when paired with a juicy burger, or even a dry one. I do miss different kinds of rolls at supper but have learned to live without.

Interesting to know. We found Disney incredible last year, way better than any other lines we'd done (MSC, P&O and Princess).

We're sailing Celebrity in May, and are both coeliac, so I guess I'll find out how good they are!

I have a gluten free travel blog which is mostly aimed at cruising (as that's how we tend to spend our holidays, although there are a couple of non cruise trips written up too). I'll definitely be writing up my experience on Celebrity for it.

Prior to that Celebrity cruise, we have a 3 night cruise on Virgin's Valiant Lady, as I am very curious to find out how good they are. They do seem to have a lot of GF marked options on menus, however I am also vegetarian, so that makes it a bit more tricky.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Interesting to know. We found Disney incredible last year, way better than any other lines we'd done (MSC, P&O and Princess).

We're sailing Celebrity in May, and are both coeliac, so I guess I'll find out how good they are!

I have a gluten free travel blog which is mostly aimed at cruising (as that's how we tend to spend our holidays, although there are a couple of non cruise trips written up too). I'll definitely be writing up my experience on Celebrity for it.

Prior to that Celebrity cruise, we have a 3 night cruise on Virgin's Valiant Lady, as I am very curious to find out how good they are. They do seem to have a lot of GF marked options on menus, however I am also vegetarian, so that makes it a bit more tricky.

Celebrity does the preordering the night before similar to Disney, and I definitely asked for items that were marked as non gluten free and everyone was made up for me the next night with changes. In my recent review of the Constellation I have a picture of the cards they have in the buffet that help me navigate through there. I haven't had to ask a chef to walk me through the buffet at all on Celebrity, which for me was a huge deal, wife previously would be done eating by the time I was able to get a chef to walk me through the buffet. The only thing I noticed this last cruise was one area had the pork patties at breakfast marked GF, and another area didn't. It could be a difference of the surface they were cooked on, but I didn't ask and stayed away from them.

I for sure have a gluten intolerance and was told a coeliac test wouldn't be effective because I had been on the diet for too long. We figured it out on our own because the gut doctors never brought up a GF diet and just kept saying IBS, super frustrating. Not sure if forum rules allow it, but I would be curious about your blog.

• Like 2

My husband is celiac.  We have not been on a cruise since the pandemic began, but the last time we were on the Summit, we had the same poor experience regarding the availability of any decent gluten free bread.  In fact, the ONLY gluten free bread they had available that cruise was raisin bread - Very unappetizing if you are looking for something to have with escargot 🤮  I also find it amazing that they cannot do better than this regarding bread/buns/rolls, since even Culver's can provide a decent gluten free hamburger bun. At one time RCCL had gluten free bagels available.  No idea if they still do.  There are many decent options available pre-made today that Celebrity should be able to source.  I am not a professional baker but over the years through trial and error I have successfully made delicious gluten free hamburger buns, bread and rolls that far exceed what is available pre-made, and I know if I can do it, the professionals at Celebrity should also be able to do it.  I hope Celebrity reads these boards -- and looks into providing better bread options for their gluten free cruisers - they do a really good job of most other gluten free options on board.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, as long as I've been gluten free (2004, celiac), X has only carried plain rice flour for baked goods.  Takes a mixture to make a decent GF baked good.  That's why their GF pizza crusts are dreadful.  They've been carrying Canyon Bakehouse breads since at least 2013, which isn't bad.  They don't seem to serve that brand in any of the dining rooms, however, rather it's the skinny icky white bread so I skip that.  Canyon Bakehouse seems to be only available in the buffet and from room service.  I've learned to order my hamburgers via room service with no bun, the works, and two slices of gluten free toast on the side, "no raisin bread, please."   It's pretty darn good and the only way I know I can get a hot burger that I can eat with my hands.  Since fries aren't GF, there are potato chips in the buffet that are.  I go get them myself before order the burger.  There are so-so GF muffins available at the Aqua Spa Cafe in the mornings.  They're significantly better than the versions they serve at Cafe al Bacio as a rule.  I order room service breakfast daily with two slices of GF toast written onto the door hanger.  Always is Canyon Bakehouse.  You can get a Grand Marnier souffle in Murano.  Only place they make them proper, with corn starch rather than wheat.  I look forward to that every time I'm on S-class.  

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 3

I am a coeliac and have sailed with celebrity 3 times and found gluten free options to be excellent. I have always been offered a choice of delicious breads with dinner. Burger wise I don't have a bun usually as it just fills me up too much along with a burger and fries! Afternoon tea they always had gluten free bread and scones and they were great. I also found they had a big selection of GF deserts at night especially at the buffet. The only area they could improve for me is cafe al bacio where there would be one coconut cake which was nice but you do get fed up if that's all that's on offer every day!

After sailing princess last year I appreciate celebritys GF options even more as it was like night and day not good at all. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Celebrity does the preordering the night before similar to Disney, and I definitely asked for items that were marked as non gluten free and everyone was made up for me the next night with changes. In my recent review of the Constellation I have a picture of the cards they have in the buffet that help me navigate through there. I haven't had to ask a chef to walk me through the buffet at all on Celebrity, which for me was a huge deal, wife previously would be done eating by the time I was able to get a chef to walk me through the buffet. The only thing I noticed this last cruise was one area had the pork patties at breakfast marked GF, and another area didn't. It could be a difference of the surface they were cooked on, but I didn't ask and stayed away from them.

I for sure have a gluten intolerance and was told a coeliac test wouldn't be effective because I had been on the diet for too long. We figured it out on our own because the gut doctors never brought up a GF diet and just kept saying IBS, super frustrating. Not sure if forum rules allow it, but I would be curious about your blog.

I've put it on the forum in other boards (the cruise lines I've sailed), so I don't think it's a problem to share. The blog website is:

glutenfreetravelwithme.com

It's interesting you say about the pork patties having a GF sign at one place, and in another place not having it. We experienced similar on Princess with their eggs, I just made sure I didn't have them if there wasn't a sign up. I love that the cruises we did last year, all the buffets were served by staff rather than people being able to help themselves. It removes a lot of the concerns about cross contamination.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

X's fries are not GF.  

Because of how they're cooked, or because they're coated with something?

We're on Solstice in May, I really hope that we'll be able to get safe GF fries on board. We found Princess very accommodating in that respect, the chefs in the buffet would happily turn on a clean fryer and do some for us (obviously had a bit of a wait, but not a problem) if the fryers that were already on had been contaminated with other things. Only time we couldn't get fries was after 10pm.

It isn't just the fryer.  Back in November, Food & Bev Mgr on Summit told me X's fries are coated = not GF.  When I order from room service, they always omit the fries once I request GF toast.  But if you can tolerate them with celiac, all power to you.  

7 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

It isn't just the fryer.  Back in November, Food & Bev Mgr on Summit told me X's fries are coated = not GF.  When I order from room service, they always omit the fries once I request GF toast.  But if you can tolerate them with celiac, all power to you.  

That's not good. I wouldn't eat them if they were coated, so will definitely be asking a lot of questions. Thanks for the heads up.

10 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I also have a wheat allergy and find wonderful food on Celebrity. Just sailed in December and everything was phenomenal! Never a gf issue for me 

The food is wonderful, and eating GF has not been the problem.  I agree with you on that. 

But was hoping that there were better quality bread products, especially burger buns 🙂

If you're in Luminae and order the burger, if you need GF, it's served without the bun but with very tasty, freshly made potato chips, rather than fries.  And even if I didn't need GF, I'd order those chips anyway.  Really tasty.

• Like 2

I have been gluten free for almost 10 years.  Had testing due to IBS and was found I had a gluten sensitivity.  Since that time I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises with another in a few weeks and one in October.  We mostly eat in Luminae.  I skip the gf bread.  I wish the menu listed gf choices as it’s a nuisance to continually ask the waiter.  Also, anytime I have asked the night before for something made gluten free it’s never done.  I get tired of the macaroons at Cafe Al Bacio.  There is good pasta, desserts and pizza at buffet.  Pizza is much better than years ago.  One year for our anniversary we ate in Murano.  They made us a cake, sang to us and then took it away stating it was not gf.  My husband is not gluten free.  The next day a huge, beautiful delicious chocolate cake appeared in our room!  I also bring my own crackers and bagels.  I love smoked salmon on a bagel.  I have even brought them into the restaurant for breakfast!  
Bonnie

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

I have been gluten free for almost 10 years.  Had testing due to IBS and was found I had a gluten sensitivity.  Since that time I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises with another in a few weeks and one in October.  We mostly eat in Luminae.  I skip the gf bread.  I wish the menu listed gf choices as it’s a nuisance to continually ask the waiter.  Also, anytime I have asked the night before for something made gluten free it’s never done.  I get tired of the macaroons at Cafe Al Bacio.  There is good pasta, desserts and pizza at buffet.  Pizza is much better than years ago.  One year for our anniversary we ate in Murano.  They made us a cake, sang to us and then took it away stating it was not gf.  My husband is not gluten free.  The next day a huge, beautiful delicious chocolate cake appeared in our room!  I also bring my own crackers and bagels.  I love smoked salmon on a bagel.  I have even brought them into the restaurant for breakfast!  
Bonnie

Wow Bonnie, thanks for this!  We will be eating in Luminae in a couple of weeks.  I may just pack a couple of things for my DH  😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Wow Bonnie, thanks for this!  We will be eating in Luminae in a couple of weeks.  I may just pack a couple of things for my DH  😉

Are you on Equinox March 25th?

I guess for our next cruise I will have to pack a package of Schar hamburger buns and ciabatta rolls so hubby can have a burger and a decent option for use as a roll to have with escargot.  While my home made rolls are better, they need to be frozen and used one by one, which is not doable on a cruise.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Luminae GF birthday cake.  And the little one in my cabin that night.  The cake itself was dry but the ganache inside and on the cake would have made my sneakers taste good!20210930_203229.thumb.jpg.94b6fb575ccb712ddea4f35e6affa6f7.jpg20210930_211109.thumb.jpg.b49a380ff0ac852162c509889cb8d740.jpg

Looks delicious!  Here is our gf anniversary cake.

3D3CA490-7A00-4424-B72E-3ABC9EBA65C7.jpeg

DF99FB89-5F6B-4F79-AA05-38D5736B47DA.jpeg

• Like 3