Martinique: maybe, possibly … ?

kjbacon

In less than one week, our first Oceania experience begins! We are so looking forward to it. We have seen here on the boards that Martinique has been subbed by Dominica. While any Caribbean port is a fabulous port, Martinique and St Barts are the ones I’m most excited about. A couple weeks ago, we did receive an email covering a lot of information including that Martinique was not currently accepting ships. As of today, we have not yet been notified of any change to our itinerary so could Martinique be a go?

I tried calling yesterday Oceania without success getting a good read on this matter. We are concerned since we booked a tour on Martinique and wonder if there will be another island or just a sea day. I think we should comment on this lack of clarity or communication when we write our reviews.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think that in this still covid World  things are still changing often

Just because you are covid free  other Countries my not

JMO

And don't forget that much of travel closures is about local politics, rather than about public health.

Governments have to show that they are "doing something", lest they be blamed for perceived inaction.

16 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

I tried calling yesterday Oceania without success getting a good read on this matter. We are concerned since we booked a tour on Martinique and wonder if there will be another island or just a sea day. I think we should comment on this lack of clarity or communication when we write our reviews.

Usually in these situations, it’s the port calling the shots and not the cruise line. Mind you, I’m guessing and being a newbie,  I’ve no allegiance to Oceania (yet?).

I am not sure that I’d roll the dice on an excursion that I’ve booked myself unless they guarantee your money back if we aren’t allowed to call.

That said, Martinique is still on our itinerary so I’m encouraged 😁 and I’m not finding anything stating that Martinique 🏝 is still not allowing ships. See you in Martinique! 😎

• Like 1

Someone reported on the March 8 - 18 Riviera Roll Call yesterday that they had been in contact with someone in management on the Riviera. They were told that St. Kitts would be substituted for Martininque. Also that there will be 1000 passengers. I don't know how reliable that information is - I'm just reporting what was posted.

KJ Bacon- go back and read the Covid notice sent by Oceania on 2/24 and scroll way down and the document that Martinique is closed to ships. This is an example of Oceania not being open and transparent on this matter. I realize that things can change but come on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

KJ Bacon- go back and read the Covid notice sent by Oceania on 2/24 and scroll way down and the document that Martinique is closed to ships. This is an example of Oceania not being open and transparent on this matter. I realize that things can change but come on!

Yes, I did read that and since we aren’t hearing an announcement, my (possibly hopeful) theory is that Martinique might be entertaining a change to their policy. There was a cruise a way back that was notified in advance that they were going to Dominica instead of Martinique so maybe there’s some hope! I would think that once we declare we are going elsewhere, we can’t switch back.