How do you receive drinking water onboard?

Mahogany

I know there's been a push to eliminate plastic on cruise ships.

Are individual bottles of water still dispensed before/during shore excursions? Or are passengers expected to bring with them refillable containers?

What's the method in suites? Metal containers, glass carafes replenished twice daily, or large quantity plastic bottles?

SB uses large high quality plastic bottles.  There are several put in each suite (and replaced when used) and they are also available near the exit door when leaving the ship via either gangplank or tender pier.  I think the bottles are about a liter and they have a screw top with large opening.   If you want more you can always ask at any of the bars or SB Square.  Trust me that you will not go thirsty on SB whether you want water or Champagne :).

Hank

The re-useable bottles look like this:

343315298_ScreenShot2021-08-03at7_47_40PM.png.1154c3fc1cfd1447fc537d6765da7249.png

For departing the ship on tours, they now have smaller size bottles available, as many people found the liter-size bottles too large or heavy to carry.  

Edited by cruiseej

4 hours ago, cruiseej said:

The re-useable bottles look like this:

343315298_ScreenShot2021-08-03at7_47_40PM.png.1154c3fc1cfd1447fc537d6765da7249.png

For departing the ship on tours, they now have smaller size bottles available, as many people found the liter-size bottles too large or heavy to carry.  

That is good news :).  DW can now carry a smaller purse.

Hank

On 3/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, Mahogany said:

Or are passengers expected to bring with them refillable containers?

I was glad I had a light plastic bottle to refill to take on excursions. Seabourn's plastic bottles that cruiseej and Hlitner mentioned are heavier than what I want to carry. I am guessing that their smaller sized bottles don't hold the volume I want.

Some cruise lines forbid guests from bringing water bottled in plastic aboard. I have a lightweight stainless steel bottle ready for my next cruise.

4 hours ago, whogo said:

Some cruise lines forbid guests from bringing water bottled in plastic aboard. I have a lightweight stainless steel bottle ready for my next cruise.

We also both take insulated flasks and decant the water from our fridge, into them, before an excursion.  It means the water is cold all day which is great on a long excursions.  

12 hours ago, Mauzac said:

We also both take insulated flasks and decant the water from our fridge, into them, before an excursion.  It means the water is cold all day which is great on a long excursions.  

I do the same, adding ice from the room refrigerator to my water bottle before departing, because I like my drinking water cold. However, my insulated flask is no lighter than the Seabourn plastic bottles, so it doesn't solve the weight issue. I usually carry a small camera bag, and use that to hold my insulated flask so my hands are free and my shoulder bears the weight. 😉

• Like 1