Which Night to Dine at TK Grill

skybluewaters

Any advice on which night in a 14-day Alaska cruise would be best to dine at TKG? 

I'm thinking that on formal nights the Restaurant would probably have a better than usual menu, so it would be best to stick to the Restaurant those nights. 

How about sea days vs port days?  If the menu at the Restaurant on sea days is usually better than it is on port days, perhaps going to TKG on a port day would make sense. 

I'm basing these thoughts on past experience on another cruise line.

Also, prior to the cruise, how can I tell which evenings are formal evenings?  Thanks!

P.S.  I know that "better" is subjective, but I hope you know what I mean.

We tend to go the first night; it usually seems less busy, easier to meet the chef/staff there, and “gets the party started” for us.  I could be wrong or just our taste, but it seems like the second night menu at the Restaurant is better than first night.  Also helps us to plan future TK Grill visits.  

Generally have not seen a difference in port versus sea days in terms of the menu in the Restaurant.  

If you’ve got an upcoming booking and have the Seabourn Source app installed, you should be able to see the current menus on your upcoming ship.  That helps to get a sense of what the night-to-night changes might be.  

If you’re on Ovation or Encore, keep in mind that formal nights bring a special menu to the Sushi restaurant (their Kaiseki menu) - we’re fans of it! Also on our list of favorites is the Thomas Keller nights in the Colonnade, especially the fried chicken night (there are also special nights with TK ribs and TK “clam bake” in the Colonnade).  Apparently the newer ships (Ovation/Encore) don’t have the special fryer needed for making the fried chicken to TK’s standards, but if you’re on the three Odyssey-class ships it’s a great evening (best fried chicken I’ve ever had).   

Edited by johng75370
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, johng75370 said:

We tend to go the first night; it usually seems less busy, easier to meet the chef/staff there, and “gets the party started” for us.  I could be wrong or just our taste, but it seems like the second night menu at the Restaurant is better than first night.  Also helps us to plan future TK Grill visits.  

Generally have not seen a difference in port versus sea days in terms of the menu in the Restaurant.  

If you’ve got an upcoming booking and have the Seabourn Source app installed, you should be able to see the current menus on your upcoming ship.  That helps to get a sense of what the night-to-night changes might be.  

If you’re on Ovation or Encore, keep in mind that formal nights bring a special menu to the Sushi restaurant (their Kaiseki menu) - we’re fans of it! Also on our list of favorites is the Thomas Keller nights in the Colonnade, especially the fried chicken night (there are also special nights with TK ribs and TK “clam bake” in the Colonnade).  Apparently the newer ships (Ovation/Encore) don’t have the special fryer needed for making the fried chicken to TK’s standards, but if you’re on the three Odyssey-class ships it’s a great evening (best fried chicken I’ve ever had).   

Oh yes, TK fried chicken is to die for.  Here's a little trick I did on our last cruise.  I asked for them to save back a piece of the fried chicken for me and bring it to me for breakfast with waffles.  OMG, maybe even better the second day that way!

• Thanks 1

We've gone to the TK Grill on formal nights and people have dressed for formal night there.  Maybe not ball gowns, but some tuxes and cocktail dresses.  I don't think it really matters which night you go.  Yes, the menu in the MDR on formal night is a little special--but not THAT special to affect where we choose to dine.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I don't think it really matters which night you go.  Yes, the menu in the MDR on formal night is a little special--but not THAT special to affect where we choose to dine.  

I have the opposite opinion: we think the menu on formal night in The Restaurant is generally better than average — things like lobster and beef Wellington — and of course everyone is dressed up a bit. So we choose to schedule our TK Grill dining on other nights.

Generally, the first formal night is the second night of the cruise. The night of embarkation, everyone is a bit scatterer or tired from travel, boarding, unpacking, etc. Some Seabourn veterans find this a good night to visit Keller, because it may be easier to get a reservation and it may not be full. But if this is your first Seabourn cruise, I wouldn't advise that; I think you should go to The Restaurant on your first night to see experience the main restaurant and see how things work.

The next night is generally the captain's reception in the theater welcoming everyone onboard and introducing the senior staff, followed by the formal night and top menu in The Restaurant. So my advice is to go to The Restaurant on that night as well. And then pick any other night for TK Grill.

I don't think sea day versus port day makes any difference in terms of predicting the menus in The Restaurant.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I have the opposite opinion: we think the menu on formal night in The Restaurant is generally better than average — things like lobster and beef Wellington — and of course everyone is dressed up a bit. So we choose to schedule our TK Grill dining on other nights.

Generally, the first formal night is the second night of the cruise. The night of embarkation, everyone is a bit scatterer or tired from travel, boarding, unpacking, etc. Some Seabourn veterans find this a good night to visit Keller, because it may be easier to get a reservation and it may not be full. But if this is your first Seabourn cruise, I wouldn't advise that; I think you should go to The Restaurant on your first night to see experience the main restaurant and see how things work.

The next night is generally the captain's reception in the theater welcoming everyone onboard and introducing the senior staff, followed by the formal night and top menu in The Restaurant. So my advice is to go to The Restaurant on that night as well. And then pick any other night for TK Grill.

I don't think sea day versus port day makes any difference in terms of predicting the menus in The Restaurant.

I have had both the Lobster and Beef Wellington  in the MDR and didn't find them to be my favorites.  But, you are right--for some these dishes might be special. 

On Encore now. People had booked TK at different days during cruise. A lot were offered and took up the invite to book first night. We did just by asking on embarkation. Been twice and found both steaks exceptionally tough. 
we prefer Ocean and Sea. 

• Thanks 1

As you will only have one or probably two formal nights,  I would recommend the MDR for those, and especially in there is a chef's dinner - there should be plenty of other nights to try out TK.

• Thanks 1

We have done many cruises and Always ask for the steakhouse on the first night.  On Seabourne and HAL.  The dinning room is sometimes a little disorganized the first night.  The specialty restaurant is quieter and staff more settled in.  

• Thanks 1

Great topic and responses.  I'm also new to Seabourn and will be on the Odyssey in April for 29 nights.  I'm sure these questions have been asked many times, but if you could bear with me:

1.  I've got the Seabourn app but I see nowhere to make a reservation in the Thomas Keller restaurant.  Can I make these ahead or best to just wait until I board?

2.  Do the Colonnade and Earth and Ocean require reservations?  Can reservations be made on board or do I just show up?  I anticipate dining in these venues more often than in the MDR.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

Don't know about the SB app, but you can make TK reservations via the web site.  Pull up your itinerary and Under the Cruise Activities tab is a Dining option where you can book a reservation pre-boarding.  Earth & Ocean is first come, first served and Colonnade only requires reservations for the special TK family-style dinners, those typically are announced 1 day in advance.

• Like 2

Does anyone have experience trying to book "extra" TK reservations beyond the number you are allotted for the length of your cruise?  Am wondering if once on board I can inquire if there are any openings on a given night?  Has anyone tried this and been successful?

Yep. Had 3rd night of cruise booked pre boarding. Asked on embarkation for that same night and got it. Also added for a 3rd evening later on in cruise and got it. Because of bad meal we were offered a 4th meal there. 
Steaks  were tough but consommé is one of the best dishes on the ship. Lobster Thermidor was good as was Caesar salad. Chicken is supposed to be good. 
Little birdie told us to go to TK bar at 8pm and ask!! 

Edited by janecambridge

@skiptomylou On the day of embarkation, pass by the entrance to the TK Grill and see if a host is working at the registration station. If so, they will be happy to help you with your reservations. On our last cruise, when the ship was about half full, we changed the reservation we had made in advance, and she asked if we wanted another later in the cruise. On a prior cruise when the ship was full, we inquired and the host asked us to check back in a day or two, so they could give new passengers a fair chance to secure a reservation before they booked us for a second one. But it can't hurt to ask as soon as you have the opportunity.

Edited by cruiseej

48 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

Yep. Had 3rd night of cruise booked pre boarding. Asked on embarkation for that same night and got it. Also added for a 3rd evening later on in cruise and got it. Because of bad meal we were offered a 4th meal there. 
Steaks  were tough but consommé is one of the best dishes on the ship. Lobster Thermidor was good as was Caesar salad. Chicken is supposed to be good. 
Little birdie told us to go to TK bar at 8pm and ask!! 

Here's the thing about the food in the TK Grill--reviews are totally subjective.  Yes, I have had a tough steak there, but that is not what I am talking about.  People have raved about the roasted chicken--which Mr. SLSD and I found inedible because it was SO salty.  We could not eat it.  It WAS cooked and not dripping in blood as someone has described.  Also, we know what a classic Caesar Salad is--and the salad presented by the TK grill was not classic--and we did not eat it either.  At this point, I don't quite remember what they had done to it--was it mustard?  For OUR tastebuds, the best dish in the TK Grill is the Dover Sole (but it is surrounded by too much butter).  We also love the large prawns.  Some of the sides are very tasty, but we only take a bite or two as they are so rich. We like some of the simple desserts.  All in all, we have found the food in the MDR to be much more appealing.  We still like to go to the TK Grill, but we are careful in what we order.  

• Thanks 1

@SLSD  I agree that opinions about food quality are highly subjective, so there's rarely a definitive answer. Additionally, different chefs, different nights, different batches of supplies can all contribute to different experiences with the same dish on different nights or different ships, even thought they're all supposed to be the same.

The one nit I'd pick with your post is about the caesar salad: their preparation is a very traditional caesar preparation. And yes, that does include dijon mustard! 😉

For us, TK Grill is worth doing once in 7-10 days, possibly twice. Beyond that, it's repetitive and we prefer the changing daily menus in the MDR. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@SLSD  I agree that opinions about food quality are highly subjective, so there's rarely a definitive answer. Additionally, different chefs, different nights, different batches of supplies can all contribute to different experiences with the same dish on different nights or different ships, even thought they're all supposed to be the same.

The one nit I'd pick with your post is about the caesar salad: their preparation is a very traditional caesar preparation. And yes, that does include dijon mustard! 😉

For us, TK Grill is worth doing once in 7-10 days, possibly twice. Beyond that, it's repetitive and we prefer the changing daily menus in the MDR. 

It was unlike any other Caesar Salad I've been served---but, as you say, maybe it was a bad night with way too much mustard.  I don't think it is supposed to be dominant.  I've looked at some recipes for the dressing and see it both ways---with and without Dijon mustard.  But, when there is mustard, it is a small amount.  It all proves up your statement that things vary from ship to ship and chef to chef.  

Edited by SLSD

I still remember, years later, the awful caesar salad I had - prepared near the table by a sweet waitress who had never done it before, and had no idea of how to deal with all the ingredients.  I hadn't the heart to say anything, as she was trying to work her way up into working in the TK grill.

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

I still remember, years later, the awful caesar salad I had - prepared near the table by a sweet waitress who had never done it before, and had no idea of how to deal with all the ingredients.  I hadn't the heart to say anything, as she was trying to work her way up into working in the TK grill.

We had a similar experience at the TK on the Ovation years ago - ironically the corporate F&B manager (MS who we know very well) was on-board and making one at the table next to us.  Our waiter neglected the cheese and stumbled thru the presentation - he could have just listened to what MS was saying since we could hear his presentation, our waiter obviously having only made one or 2 in training.  It was not good.  

We tend to book the first night because it is easier to get in and out - our goal is to be done in under an hour.  However, depending on what time your sail away is,  dining the first night could conflict with the sail away party if that is something you are interested in.

Agree with others who have not cared for the Caesar Salad - we had to send it back and order the basic salad - the dressing was just not to our liking.  That is purely a personal preference though - we have seen many, many others that love it and rave about it.