Iona G208 Port Suggestions for 11 Year Old

DamianG

Hi all

The itinerary for this cruise has changed and unfortunately we are no longer visiting Hamburg which is the one port that I had a plan in mind for (typical!).

02-Apr-2022       Southampton          06:00                     18:00
03-Apr-2022       Zeebrugge              09:00                     18:00
04-Apr-2022       Rotterdam               07:00    
05-Apr-2022       Rotterdam                                             21:00
06-Apr-2022       At Sea                  
07-Apr-2022       Le Havre                 07:00                     20:00
08-Apr-2022       At Sea                  
09-Apr-2022       Southampton          06:00  

We enjoy researching ports and doing our own thing rather than taking excursions. Our son has been on many cruises but always to places with beaches or outdoors summer attractions so this will be a new experience for him and I'll admit to lacking any inspiration for taking him somewhere that he will enjoy in each port. Pre-parenting we'd do things like work out a walking tour or visit museums followed by a nice lunch (or in Le Havre just have an extended version of the lunch!) but that's not going to be much fun for him.

We'll definitely be getting off the ship in each port even if it is just for half a day so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Damian

• Like 1

Hi Damian

We did this exact itinerary last October on Iona. We originally booked this as a cheeky extra cruise before COVID times and so we weren’t expecting a huge amount from it.

My daughter at the time had just turned 12 and so wasn’t vaccinated which meant we were only able to get off in Rotterdam. No other ports. We still had a great cruise and it made us realise how much we still loved cruising.

We were in different times last October and so we didn’t do any excursions. We very much enjoyed walking around the city. There is a big indoor market which sells the most amazing waffles! My two loved them. There’s some pretty gardens we had a stroll around. In walking distance I believe there is mini golf too. There is a big tower (sorry my brain isn’t working) that was closed due to COVID but you can see great views of the city. Sorry not much help. In October the pools were surprisingly warm so mine were in them and the hot tubs every day.
We are normally very full on when we go on cruises and do lots of excursions but we were extremely wary then so I’m sorry not much help.

Make sure you see the sail out of Rotterdam. We thought it was pretty and in the distance you can see the odd windmill lit up.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy Iona.

• Thanks 1

Rotterdam has an outdoor maritime museum with lots of ships and ship bits to look at.  It would fill an hour minimum (not very interested 11 year old schedule) or he might find things or people which grab his attention and thus easily fill half a day

4151C8A0-5562-4BA7-9E99-7089F0F85A28.thumb.jpeg.99dbb74a9c341ff6eda543c281279aed.jpeg

Isn’t it Rotterdam which has the sideways houses?  We found them fascinating … maybe not for an 11 y.o?  You can go into the one which is ‘an exhibit’, for minimal entrance fee.  The rest are actually lived in.

I agree about the market.  Lots to keep you amused and well fed there

8BEF3E20-BB3B-4086-897B-769651ABEFE9.thumb.jpeg.486e952c4b8c34e05b575d98143b34ec.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Rotterdam has an outdoor maritime museum with lots of ships and ship bits to look at.  It would fill an hour minimum (not very interested 11 year old schedule) or he might find things or people which grab his attention and thus easily fill half a day

4151C8A0-5562-4BA7-9E99-7089F0F85A28.thumb.jpeg.99dbb74a9c341ff6eda543c281279aed.jpeg

Isn’t it Rotterdam which has the sideways houses?  We found them fascinating … maybe not for an 11 y.o?  You can go into the one which is ‘an exhibit’, for minimal entrance fee.  The rest are actually lived in.

8BEF3E20-BB3B-4086-897B-769651ABEFE9.thumb.jpeg.486e952c4b8c34e05b575d98143b34ec.jpeg

Yes, it is Rotterdam, fairly central, and would certainly amuse most children (and adults). I’d also agree about the market, and add that Rotterdam’s a pleasant city for a family just to mooch around in for half a day, if not more.

Add in some stroopwafels, freshly made poffertjes, along with some of the excellent chips you can buy from Dutch market stalls and vans, and it’s a gastronomic day out!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Hi Damian

We did this exact itinerary last October on Iona. We originally booked this as a cheeky extra cruise before COVID times and so we weren’t expecting a huge amount from it.

My daughter at the time had just turned 12 and so wasn’t vaccinated which meant we were only able to get off in Rotterdam. No other ports. We still had a great cruise and it made us realise how much we still loved cruising.

We were in different times last October and so we didn’t do any excursions. We very much enjoyed walking around the city. There is a big indoor market which sells the most amazing waffles! My two loved them. There’s some pretty gardens we had a stroll around. In walking distance I believe there is mini golf too. There is a big tower (sorry my brain isn’t working) that was closed due to COVID but you can see great views of the city. Sorry not much help. In October the pools were surprisingly warm so mine were in them and the hot tubs every day.
We are normally very full on when we go on cruises and do lots of excursions but we were extremely wary then so I’m sorry not much help.

Make sure you see the sail out of Rotterdam. We thought it was pretty and in the distance you can see the odd windmill lit up.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy Iona.

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. This is a cheeky extra cruise for us too, to celebrate my wife’s special birthday and also just to make up for what we’ve been missing since 2019. 
We’ve been to Rotterdam previously in Winter and I’m very much looking forward to the sail in and out during Spring. 
The market sounds like a great idea, chips with mayonnaise for us (ketchup for our son) then some waffles is very appealing.

You’ve been very helpful, thanks again.

Damian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks ever so much, those photos have really wetted my appetite!

Damian

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes, it is Rotterdam, fairly central, and would certainly amuse most children (and adults). I’d also agree about the market, and add that Rotterdam’s a pleasant city for a family just to mooch around in for half a day, if not more.

Add in some stroopwafels, freshly made poffertjes, along with some of the excellent chips you can buy from Dutch market stalls and vans, and it’s a gastronomic day out!

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Harry, I agree, a gastronomic day out sounds like a plan. 
I’ll probably do a blog again so I’ll have to take notes of the Dutch names of all the food! 
Cheers

Damian

Good  ideas above for Rotterdam. Another thought is a Sido tour of the harbour https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/destinations/rotterdam/spido.htm

If you like beach things then Blankenburg is the normal shuttle drop off for the train to Brugge.

Blankenburg is however a nice little seaside town with a long promenade, sandy beach etc. From the shuttle drop off point  cross the road to the  main pedestrian area and just keep walking straight on. You will reach steps up to the promenade after about 5 minutes. You can hire deckchairs, there are attractions etc. Ideal for  a youngster. Also chocolate shops etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Good  ideas above for Rotterdam. Another thought is a Sido tour of the harbour https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/destinations/rotterdam/spido.htm

If you like beach things then Blankenburg is the normal shuttle drop off for the train to Brugge.

Blankenburg is however a nice little seaside town with a long promenade, sandy beach etc. From the shuttle drop off point  cross the road to the  main pedestrian area and just keep walking straight on. You will reach steps up to the promenade after about 5 minutes. You can hire deckchairs, there are attractions etc. Ideal for  a youngster. Also chocolate shops etc.

Thanks very much. We’ve walked to the beach in Blankenburg previously and I’d completely forgotten about it. It was a bit bleak in Winter but hopefully Spring will see it in a much better light.

Fantastic, that’s ideas for 2 ports already!

Cheers

Damian

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Harry, I agree, a gastronomic day out sounds like a plan. 
I’ll probably do a blog again so I’ll have to take notes of the Dutch names of all the food! 
Cheers

Damian

I’d be interested to read that, as one who’s pining for the Netherlands. Used to spend most of our summer holidays with the children there in various Centre Parcs because they were half the price of the grossly overpriced ones in the UK but better equipped - individual saunas in the lodges too.  Amsterdam every Christmas/New Year too, renting a canal house right in the centre. Lovely country, lovely people.

• Like 1