Oceania Air program

ak1004

4 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Ta says no longer phone option. Have been using her for 25 years and gotten great service. The air dept is a money maker for Oceana, not a deal.

Not for BIZ class but reg econ can work for some 

YMMV

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As aforementioned,

1) Take the O Life tours option and pick the ones you like that are closest to the $199/tour limit to fill your allowance.
2) Find the minimum number of tours required for YWYW 25% off on non-O Life tours (it’s on page one of the Shore Excursions PDF that comes with your O invoice (and in your O web account shopping for that cruise)). Note that the O Life tours you pick count against that YWYW minimum.

3) Pick the paid tours (>$199, OE/OS) you want - enough to meet the rest of the YWYW minimum - and they’ll be charged at 25% off.

4) Add the purchase tours (e.g., OS/OE) to the “Cart” along with tour O Life tours. Click YWYW in Cart for each person.

5) Disregard list prices in right column. Instead, look only at bottom line cost, which will also show the net cost to you after applying available O SBC toward payment. (Remember to check YWYW button for each person)

6) Compare that bottom line net price to your independent math as a doublecheck.

7) Click the payment button OR call O and have the rep fulfill the order. You’ll get an email listing your booked tours.

NOTE: I prefer using my trusted O phone rep (rather than my TA) for O tours  for a variety of reasons, one of them being that the Cart operation usually doesn’t allow you to pick two different tours on a single day. O allows it if the tours are separated by, at least 75 (or 90?) minutes. But, you’ll have to call them. Also, doing it over the phone allows you to request the “Prepurchased shore excursions” PDF that shows all the math.

For a more in-depth explanation, search here on  CC through my numerous posts on O Life strategy.

Exactly what I'm talking about.  I was a math and physics major in college and this reminds me of some of the convoluted equations.  Its supposed to be a holiday, travel and have new experiences.  NOT to worry and work complicated options just to tour at port stops.  My experience is Azamara.  Good, sometimes expensive tours.  At time they would offer discounts months out.  Many other cruise lines do this.  I would cancel my PH cabin and choose another line if it wasn't for the already sunk investment.  KISS!

As aforementioned,

1) Take the O Life tours option and pick the ones you like that are closest to the $199/tour limit to fill your allowance.
2) Find the minimum number of tours required for YWYW 25% off on non-O Life tours (it’s on page one of the Shore Excursions PDF that comes with your O invoice (and in your O web account shopping for that cruise)). Note that the O Life tours you pick count against that YWYW minimum.

3) Pick the paid tours (>$199, OE/OS) you want - enough to meet the rest of the YWYW minimum - and they’ll be charged at 25% off.

4) Add the purchase tours (e.g., OS/OE) to the “Cart” along with tour O Life tours. Click YWYW in Cart for each person.

5) Disregard list prices in right column. Instead, look only at bottom line cost, which will also show the net cost to you after applying available O SBC toward payment. (Remember to check YWYW button for each person)

6) Compare that bottom line net price to your independent math as a doublecheck.

7) Click the payment button OR call O and have the rep fulfill the order. You’ll get an email listing your booked tours.

Exactly what I'm talking about.  I was a math and physics major in college and this reminds me of some of the convoluted equations.  Its supposed to be a holiday, travel and have new experiences.  NOT to worry and work complicated options just to tour at port stops.  My experience is Azamara.  Good, sometimes expensive tours.  At time they would offer discounts months out.  Many other cruise lines do this.  I would cancel my PH cabin and choose another line if it wasn't for the already sunk investment.  KISS!

As aforementioned,

Every line has its specifics. I actually find Oceania pretty simple and straightforward once you understand it. 3 levels: cruise only, olife and air. That's it no need to over complicate it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Every line has its specifics. I actually find Oceania pretty simple and straightforward once you understand it. 3 levels: cruise only, olife and air. That's it no need to over complicate it.

Doesn't really help.  O offers various prices in each "category" you mentioned, to include paying more for "O Life" before even starting the process.

As far a cruise air programs we have been very successful with assistance at various cruise lines for international travel at the business class level.  Princess' "EZAir" may be the best.  Working now with Celebrity and despite full payment months ago, Celebrity Air is still fondling with routes and reservations.  Latest provided routing totally missed a major leg.  United's program once routed us to 4 cities to get from Florida to Quebec City - with one "connection" departing before the other's arrival.  

14 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Doesn't really help.  O offers various prices in each "category" you mentioned, to include paying more for "O Life" before even starting the process.

JMO

Skip the O Life perk  ...book your own private tours

If you want BIZ class air or fly in or out on days other than embarkation/debarkation ... book your own air

You then have more control over your  trip/$$

YMMV

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

If you want BIZ class air or fly in or out on days other than embarkation/debarkation ... book your own air

YMMV

Very good advice.

I was the one who started this topic and mentioned how terrible O air program is. But terrible doesn't mean complicated. I find it pretty simple.

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But terrible doesn't mean complicated. I find it pretty simple.

Yes   I just let my TA handle it  when we use O air

It can work out better sometimes  but  you need to do the math & decide what works for you

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Isn’t it amazing? Not exactly “rocket science.”👀

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

YMMV

THAT is IT  in a nutshell......    The more people and such you get into the equation  the more chance for error.    As for air.... many of us out there have wised up to using credit card miles for free airfare  so O air is a non issue.   

You have a choice to  start in a program  if you have not already done so....  of keep stressing on details run by a cruise line   not an airline. 

Is It worth while?      Well for the past 10 years I have not had to buy  air to any destination  either in Business or econ+/similar for my wife and I.   ( just from normal spending for beans and bacon and gas.)     Simple philosophy..... all credit cards no cash.  use the cash to pay the cc... and never spend $1 that you do not get $1.25 back on............

ca5c4146-2235-403d-ba49-662dd008171f-smallScale_GaryLarsonsTheFarSidecomiccomingbackinnewonlineeraGooglecommons1.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 10:54 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

ALWAYS call your short list airline(s) and have the rep check for better fares. You’d be surprised at how many options are not easily found on an airline website - even United (which has the clearly best airline website!).

Did United extract a fee for the privilege of booking your ticket by phone?  The last time I had to change a ticket that way, United "kindly" waived the $95 fee for helping me book an itinerary their website did not show.  United is my airline of choice for many reasons, but this was a shocker.

3 minutes ago, Debbers said:

Did United extract a fee for the privilege of booking your ticket by phone?  The last time I had to change a ticket that way, United "kindly" waived the $95 fee for helping me book an itinerary their website did not show.  United is my airline of choice for many reasons, but this was a shocker.

Last time I checked (yesterday), it was a $25 fee.

In any case, I’ve never had to pay it and usually do use the phone because, unless you know exactly how to search the site for flights, you will not see everything that is available. In addition, if the flight has connections with a Star Alliance partner, the phone agent has access to any of their current “sale” prices that do not appear on the United website.

54 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Last time I checked (yesterday), it was a $25 fee.

In any case, I’ve never had to pay it and usually do use the phone because, unless you know exactly how to search the site for flights, you will not see everything that is available. In addition, if the flight has connections with a Star Alliance partner, the phone agent has access to any of their current “sale” prices that do not appear on the United website.

Correct.....  I got a BIZ  fare on the wed site for $4250.......  in callling UA I got it  for $3680..... 

Another fine point...If UA / Star alliance  is your fave..   you should have a CC  affinity  card with UA ( no more baggage fees)  .  AND you should work to  rack up enough points during the year to get  some level of Premier status...  ( free up grades to Econ+)     

Dont fly a lot?  Well you can earn premier qual points if you charge 35K a year on your CC..  ( which if you  use the card for cruises, groceries, restaurants, insurance, phone bills or the dentist. is pretty easy to do).

There are many paths to good fortune that can be overlooked on the way to happiness.

download (1).jpg

First time I used O for air and probably the last . It was convenient at least to have the transfers 

Flew Seattle to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. Was able to upgrade to premium economy class on the site. Initially went through O but for them to get an upgrade for me and they have to completely re-book the ticket and that would be too much money. Surprised that even after the paid upgrade I still had to pay for a seat assignment prior to check in. Such is the way of airlines these days 

On the way back my ticket said Iberia but was not. It was with an airline I had never heard of and probably many have not also 

Level air a very low cost airline affiliated with Iberia 

Plane was fine , actually nicer than most . Good leg room in economy 

BUT you had to pay for” everything” . The only thing free was small cups of water..Had to pay for a seat assignment even after check in when they’re generally free . I checked teviews of them out while I was waiting to check in so brought on food 

O splurged so we did get a meal ( which if you book yourself you can prepay for  ) 

I guess if I was getting a ridiculous low fare to Europe I’d probably be fine with that but I though I was getting better 

I expected more out of O that a budget airline 

I mean , our flight was 12 something hours long. If I hadn’t known I’d be stuck paying money for crap food. The bottled water on board was more expensive than in the airport 

20 minutes ago, JudiK said:

First time I used O for air and probably the last . It was convenient at least to have the transfers 

Flew Seattle to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. Was able to upgrade to premium economy class on the site. Initially went through O but for them to get an upgrade for me and they have to completely re-book the ticket and that would be too much money. Surprised that even after the paid upgrade I still had to pay for a seat assignment prior to check in. Such is the way of airlines these days 

On the way back my ticket said Iberia but was not. It was with an airline I had never heard of and probably many have not also 

BUT you had to pay for” everything” . The only thing free was small cups of water..Had to pay for a seat assignment even after check in when they’re generally free . I checked teviews of them out while I was waiting to check in so brought on food 

O splurged so we did get a meal ( which if you book yourself you can prepay for  ) 

I guess if I was getting a ridiculous low fare to Europe I’d probably be fine with that but I though I was getting better 

I mean , our flight was 12 something hours long. If I hadn’t known I’d be stuck paying money for crap food. The bottled water on board was more expensive than in the airport 

You catch on good........sorry  to see you got "burned"...  but at least you learned a valuable lesson, and maybe you telling your plight will help others avoid the same........   You get what you pay for is the hard and fast rule.......

5 hours ago, JudiK said:

I’m very sorry you did not have a good experience with O air. In 2021 I purchased one way airfare from Austin to Rome for a transatlantic cruise from Rome to Miami. I upgraded to business class. I was very happy with the price and the service. It’s not always bad.

On 4/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, LHT28 said:

Are you using a TA?

If so ask for a 3 way call with the air dept the ta & yourself

I usually tell my TA what flights I want  she looks after it for me

Agree TA best option prices comparable with airlines.

We have flown bizz class from US to Europe with Delta , Virgin, BA, Singapore, American Airlines.

worst was BA best was Singapore.

We are now in UK and business class Europe is not business class with most airlines. Bizz class is an empty seat in the middle of a 3 configuration.

We are using Lufthansa ( first time ) reviews mixed

Manchester to Malta 

Istanbul to Manchester 

Cruise Sept 4th Sept 14th 2022 Riviera 

Malta to Istanbul