Struggling to decide…..

Europeantraveler1

We are booked on a cruise (in Yacht Club staterooms) in the Mediterranean (to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary) for this summer departing from Naples.  This is already a two-year postponement from 2020 due to the arrival of COVID.  Prior to the cruise, we have a couple of nights apartment reservations in Rome with many tours booked there then two nights in Naples with tour of Capri and Pompeii.  We are cruising with our two, teenage grandsons (who never have cruised or visited Europe) and my daughter and son-in-law.   

Now we are facing this horrible war in Ukraine.  So,…we went ahead and reserved a Princess-Alaskan cruise for the same time period-TOTALLY different kind of cruise and of course, totally different location. This is a sea/land tour.  

In a few days, we’re going to have to decide on which.  Cruise plans seem so frivolous at this time but,……

Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Europeantraveler1 said:

Cruise plans seem so frivolous at this time but,……

As we have booked 2022 and 2023 and discussed various topics on these boards, recent events have me agreeing with your last sentence.

We have 45 days booked starting with a TA in April.  The furthest east we will get is Italy, then back thru the Mediterranean and ending up eventually in Iceland.

Another 34 days booked in September.  That one will get as far east as Athens-Istanbul and again back thru the Mediterranean and finally a TA back home.  Our leg in the Black Sea (Sochi, Odessa etc) was cancelled by the cruise line soon after the invasion began. 

Just as nobody knows what the virus will do, nobody can predict what Putin will do.

So, if our booked cruises sail, we will be onboard, assuming we continue to be Covid negative, of course.  If the world is in total war, the cruises will be cancelled and the decision will be made for us.  No cruise line is going to sail into a war zone.  

If things go nuclear, then all bets are off.  I'm remembering the 1964 movie "On the Beach"

As I write this, I realize it sounds fatalistic, but you did ask for our thoughts.

I should add my background just for perspective.  I have relatives in Slovakia and Lithuania who well remember 50 years of Russian control.  They have good reason to be fearful.

• Like 1

Just want to say congratulations on your anniversary and keeping my fingers crossed that you can do your trip! What are the potential cancelation policies of places you are planning to stay and tours? At this point in time, I would say go forward with your Italy plans. We are also hoping to do a trip to Europe this summer (also canceled from 2020), and while I agree that travel seems a little frivolous at this time, I need to keep my hopes up that the world will be a better place at that time and that we will be able to do the trip. Alaska sounds lovely, too, but hey, also closer to Russia? Who knows what will be. So, if you are able to keep your booked hotel/airfare/tours changeable or refundable, then I'd say keep your plans for the Europe cruise. Whatever you wind up doing, hope you enjoy and stay safe.

4 hours ago, Europeantraveler1 said:

Prior to the cruise, we have a couple of nights apartment reservations in Rome with many tours booked there then two nights in Naples with tour of Capri and Pompeii.

Excellent choice. But keep in mind that Capri is only the end of one of the best trips on this planet. The main thing is the trip from Naples to Capri along the Amalfi coast. If you love pasta, a stop in Gragnano is a MUST. And you need to go at least a small part of the Path of the Gods ( https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentiero_degli_Dei ), the views are out of this world and only matched by Cinque Terre in the North. 

We are cruising with our two, teenage grandsons (who never have cruised or visited Europe) and my daughter and son-in-law.   

Great, it will be the experience of a lifetime for all generations 🙂

So,…we went ahead and reserved a Princess-Alaskan cruise for the same time period-TOTALLY different kind of cruise and of course, totally different location.

OK, I don´t understand your logic here. Here´s my point. Basically it needs a TOTAL ESCALATION of the Ukraine war so that Italy, France and Spain are effected. This is only possible if the US attack Russia. And IF the US attacks Russia then whole Alaska as former Russian territory with the Russian-US-sea border will be completly off limits immediately for sure. You really think you can (and want) cruise around the Russian and US military bases and war ships in the Bering Strait? 

I could understand if the situation in Europe is too unstable for you, so you go to the boring Carribean (and miss the trip of a lifetime), but Alaska actually would be the very last place to bring my grandsons. Cruise-able place 🙂

So I would also highly recommend you to go on with your Italy plans. Keep in mind, if the escalation is really coming both cruises will be canceled anyway. But Alaska or Baltic sea certainly first and Western Med or Carribean much much later. 

• Like 1

Stick with your plans and stick it to Putin!!! Follow your dreams, none of us know how many tomorrows we have!! Support countries that are dealing with this situation and feeling the impacts much more acutely. 

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older." ― Larry McMurtry

• Like 1