Pre-board Test

susique

I know this has been discussed here, but I cannot find the thread.  I have a simple question about the types of test offered in our local Walgreens.  What is the difference between a Rapid NAAT Test and a Rapid Antigen test.  I tried to ask an agent but all they do is refer me to the safety page and it does not say anything about it.  

• Like 1

We need it to board the Joy in 3 weeks.  We are driving to port as we live in South Florida.  My husband and I are sure we can get a Rapid Antigen test, but my sister lives in a different county.  So, in your opinion, is this Rapid NAAT test OK to board the ship?

12 minutes ago, susique said:

We need it to board the Joy in 3 weeks.  We are driving to port as we live in South Florida.  My husband and I are sure we can get a Rapid Antigen test, but my sister lives in a different county.  So, in your opinion, is this Rapid NAAT test OK to board the ship?

Either the NAAT test or antigen test are accepted for boarding the ship as long as you have a lab-certified report displaying the results and the required identifying information.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test within two days prior to embarkation date for cruises originating in a U.S. port and within three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port.

The FAQ section of the same web page details the identifying information required:

Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents

Your date of birth

The result of the test

The date the test sample was collected

The name of the test provider

Confirmation of the type of test provided

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

I was told today by my NCL agent that the NAAT test was NOT acceptable. This is so confusing.  Many pharmacies near me are now NOT offering the rapid antigen test at no cost.  I have to pay out of pocket and it’s not cheap.  I am cruising on the Escape 3/19.

The agent I spoke to just read the Sail Safe page.  I told her I just read that also, and it did not answer my question.  I asked her who to speak to and she referred it again to me.  Not helpful.  I think the rapid NAAT test is a rapid PCR and a PCR is acceptable, if I undersand what njhorseman said.

We sailed in September to Bermuda. We had to take multiple tests to get on the ship. The antigen rapid test at CVS was free then. We now are going to a private company for the same test for $85 pp. cost of doing business.  

Srussell..the only rapid test that my Walgreens offers is the rapid NAAT test..not sure if that was the one you had..all of a sudden it really hard to find a free rapid antigen test..and, again, my NCL rep said NAAT test is NOT acceptable..so much red tape!

Why not just do the proctored emed tests that you can order online and do from home (or a hotel room, or anywhere you have internet and a connected device with a camera)?  I ordered mine on Tuesday and had them Friday.  If you only need 2 and don't want to buy 4 as the emed site NCL sends you to sells, there's an alternate (but associated) place to buy 2-packs of the same tests - https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

Even though it's for travel I still billed it to my HSA.

2 hours ago, susique said:

The agent I spoke to just read the Sail Safe page.  I told her I just read that also, and it did not answer my question.  I asked her who to speak to and she referred it again to me.  Not helpful.  I think the rapid NAAT test is a rapid PCR and a PCR is acceptable, if I undersand what njhorseman said.

1 hour ago, Deadgun said:

Srussell..the only rapid test that my Walgreens offers is the rapid NAAT test..not sure if that was the one you had..all of a sudden it really hard to find a free rapid antigen test..and, again, my NCL rep said NAAT test is NOT acceptable..so much red tape!

PCR is a type of NAAT test. Unfortunately the nomenclature that's been used in the press and apparently by those writing the NCL website, has frequently been wrong, leading many to believe that NAAT is a type of PCR . This is undoubtedly because PCR is the most common type of NAAT test used in the US.  Perhaps this from the CDC will help. While the web page is designed for air travel the explanation of the types of tests is valid. I've highlighted the NAAT explanation in bold print. As you can see there are seven common examples of NAAT tests given, and there are others as well. NCL really should accept any type of NAAT, but I can't guarantee they will.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Test and Documentation Requirements

You must be tested with a viral test to look for current infection – these include an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Phrases indicating a test is an antigen test could include, but not are not limited to:

Rapid antigen test

Viral antigen test

Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to:

Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

Isothermal amplification including:

Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)

Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)

Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)

Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)

Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

We do eMed tests at home. Our insurance company covered the full costs (although the govt only requires them to pay the first $12 per test).

Swab with a proctor. Go get a cup of coffee. Come back 15 minutes later and have an e-mail test report a few minutes later. Couldn’t be easier. 

(We ordered through the Royal Caribbean web site because the allow smaller quantities). 

4 hours ago, srussell said:

We sailed on the Sky March 2, 2022.  The Rapid Diagnostic test that Walgreen's offers at no cost was accepted with no questions.  Walgreen's requires an appt. online and it was quick at the drive thru.

@srussell Did you just book it in the app and the results were in the app and you just showed that?

7 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

@srussell Did you just book it in the app and the results were in the app and you just showed that?

Yes to both questions.  I did print mine just in case there was a glitch at the terminal.  They check your results before moving on to check in.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deadgun said:

I don't know when you are cruising but keep checking the Walgreen's site.  Our local Walgreen's was out of the rapid tests for a while but finally got them in.  The Walgreen's site will tell you which stores have which tests.  On the site it said Rapid Diagnostic Test.  There was a choice of 3 tests but the Rapid Diagnostic Test has results within 24 hours.  We received our results in 2 hours.

3 minutes ago, srussell said:

I don't know when you are cruising but keep checking the Walgreen's site.  Our local Walgreen's was out of the rapid tests for a while but finally got them in.  The Walgreen's site will tell you which stores have which tests.  On the site it said Rapid Diagnostic Test.  There was a choice of 3 tests but the Rapid Diagnostic Test has results within 24 hours.  We received our results in 2 hours.

I see now they call it Rapid NAAT test.  That is the one we received and it was accepted at the terminal.

1 hour ago, srussell said:

I see now they call it Rapid NAAT test.  That is the one we received and it was accepted at the terminal.

Thanks.  I thought that was the one.  I researched it for my niece a few weeks back, but the name was different.

• Like 1