Pre-Cruise Hotel in Montreal

GreytRacer

17 hours ago, GreytRacer said:

Looking for hotel recommendations for one night per-cruise from Montreal in early June. Would like to keep it $150 or under (US) if possible.  Thanks!  

I have stayed at the Queen Elizabeth and enjoyed its location and my stay (I was there for 3 days before my cruise).  But, it may be out of your price range.  

Montrealer here. Your budget of $US150 translates to around $200 Canadian, and finding a decent hotel for that money at that time of year,  in an area that you would find interesting as a visitor, will be very tough. I would suggest starting with a site like Tripadvisor, inputting your exact dates and going to map view to see what the options are.

AFAIK, ships dock in Old Montreal, which would be a drop dead fantastic place to overnight before a cruise; unfortunately, prices for decent hotels there are well outside your range. The same holds true for downtown Montreal, which is not very far from the port either.  The aforementioned Queen Elizabeth would be a great bet downtown, but it would be very $$$ for you. Judging from a quick look at the Tripadvisor results, your best bet to stay near budget may be to stay at an airport hotel (or one in the vicinity of the airport), some of which seem to be within your budget and should have shuttle service from the terminal, then taking a taxi or Uber to the ship the morning of the cruise. Let me know if you have any questions.  Happy to help.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, lx200gps said:

Montrealer here. Your budget of $US150 translates to around $200 Canadian, and finding a decent hotel for that money at that time of year,  in an area that you would find interesting as a visitor, will be very tough. I would suggest starting with a site like Tripadvisor, inputting your exact dates and going to map view to see what the options are.

AFAIK, ships dock in Old Montreal, which would be a drop dead fantastic place to overnight before a cruise; unfortunately, prices for decent hotels there are well outside your range. The same holds true for downtown Montreal, which is not very far from the port either.  The aforementioned Queen Elizabeth would be a great bet downtown, but it would be very $$$ for you. Judging from a quick look at the Tripadvisor results, your best bet to stay near budget may be to stay at an airport hotel (or one in the vicinity of the airport), some of which seem to be within your budget and should have shuttle service from the terminal, then taking a taxi or Uber to the ship the morning of the cruise. Let me know if you have any questions.  Happy to help.

Thanks for your detailed feedback!  I just realized I get a corporate rate at Holiday Inn. I wonder if it would make more sense to pay a bit more and stay at either the Holiday Inn in Old Montreal or the one in downtown Montreal.  I think it would balance out the cost of taking an Uber back and forth to a cheaper airport hotel, if we were wanting to do some sightseeing the day before the cruise.    Any thoughts on either of these hotels or this plan? Thanks!  

15 hours ago, GreytRacer said:

Thanks for your detailed feedback!  I just realized I get a corporate rate at Holiday Inn. I wonder if it would make more sense to pay a bit more and stay at either the Holiday Inn in Old Montreal or the one in downtown Montreal.  I think it would balance out the cost of taking an Uber back and forth to a cheaper airport hotel, if we were wanting to do some sightseeing the day before the cruise.    Any thoughts on either of these hotels or this plan? Thanks!  

Yer very welcome ;o) Assuming you were arriving the day before the cruise, had an afternoon and evening to kill and wanted a real Montreal experience, I would personally opt for Old Montreal vs downtown. For longer multi-day stay, downtown would make more sense. The HI in downtown is in a good location, just a block from Montreal's prime "central artery" St Catherine St. with all the shopping and dining you could want (arguably more than anywhere else in the city) within an easy walk, but, hey, it's downtown. The other HI in the area is on the southern edge of Chinatown, but a very easy walk to Old Montreal, about 700 yards  to its very heart, Place Jacques Cartier and only a bit farther to your ship, which docks in the heart of Old Montreal at the Quai d'Iberville. Montreal was originally settled the late 1500s, and many of the buildings in Old Montreal date from the 1700s, with a few even older. Old Montreal is a beautiful location to spend an afternoon and evening walking around, enjoying the history, and the St Lawrence river. Early June should be just before the massive tourist influx we see in mid-summer. Restaurants for every price range are everywhere, as are shops, galleries, bars etc. We're suburbanites now, and the only part of Montreal we ever visit, aside from visiting family, is the old town. This is a City Of Montreal web link to Old Montreal have a read....

https://www.mtl.org/en/explore/neighbourhoods/old-montreal

17 hours ago, GreytRacer said:

I just realized I get a corporate rate at Holiday Inn. I wonder if it would make more sense to pay a bit more and stay at either the Holiday Inn in Old Montreal or the one in downtown Montreal.

Also, since they are all part of IHG, if you have a corporate rate at the Holiday Inn it will most likely also work at the InterContinental Hotel. You might be able to upgrade to a more premium hotel for less than you think. Worth looking at. 

On 3/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, princeton123211 said:

Also, since they are all part of IHG, if you have a corporate rate at the Holiday Inn it will most likely also work at the InterContinental Hotel. You might be able to upgrade to a more premium hotel for less than you think. Worth looking at. 

Thanks for the info and the link!  I did check out the InterContinental, but since we won't arrive until about 2pm and leave the next morning, we opted for the Holiday Inn for this trip.  Maybe next time, if we have more time to enjoy it!