Power outlets around bed on Princess ships?

kywildcatfanone

5 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

All I want to do is charge my phone and have it near the bed. Was hoping for USBs on the lamps or in the vicinity of the bed so I don't have to run a 10 ft cable across the room. We'll be on Discovery - the newest of the Princess ships - so hopefully these lamps are similar to those found in the hotels we've been to recently. Will report back upon our return.

Plugging it into my little charger on the bedside table worked fine for me.  Agree USB port would be better, but I made the best of it.  

2 minutes ago, jeno said:

Plugging it into my little charger on the bedside table worked fine for me.  Agree USB port would be better, but I made the best of it.  

So you're saying there was an outlet on your nightstand? That would be fine too. I always travel with my chargers, although, as you say, the USB port is much easier to use.

2 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

So you're saying there was an outlet on your nightstand? That would be fine too. I always travel with my chargers, although, as you say, the USB port is much easier to use.

I charged my charger on the desk during the day and then at night just had the already charged charger connected to my phone with the cord.  I’m the morning I’d charge the charger again along with my AirPods etc. It sounds more cumbersome than it was.  Very easy. 

15 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

All I want to do is charge my phone and have it near the bed. Was hoping for USBs on the lamps or in the vicinity of the bed so I don't have to run a 10 ft cable across the room. We'll be on Discovery - the newest of the Princess ships - so hopefully these lamps are similar to those found in the hotels we've been to recently. Will report back upon our return.

In the photo I previously posted from Sky it shows the nightstand’s lamps having a USB & it’s likely to be the same on Discovery where we soon sail.

• Like 1

Just a heads up on any older ships with older equipment.  USB charge ports can get worn down from overuse so IMO it's always good to have separate chargers for backups.  Had two on the NCL Joy that only trickle charged so they were basically worthless.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2022 at 7:12 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Every Princess ship I have been on (admittedly, not all...) have had 220 volt outlets behind the bed.  I pull the bed out and use an adapter to use with my CPAP.  On the Sky just about 3 weeks ago (mini-suite) I was surprised to find the outlet had nothing plugged into it.  In the past the lamp had always been plugged in there.  They are apparently hardwired now.  So...I did not need to use a dual outlet style adapter to keep the lamp plugged in.  I had a "dedicated" outlet.

Which dual outlet style adapter do you use for your CPAPs.  Both my wife and I use CPAPs and I have been lucky to have an open outlet behind the bed or run a light extension cord to the desk next to the bed. Recently did run into the one outlet behind the bed used for the lamp and the desk was on the wrong side of the cabin.  So I am looking for a dual outlet style adapter to plug the lamp back into and then an extension cord for both CPAPs behind the bed.  I would be interested in what adapter style you are using.  Thanks .....

7 hours ago, cruiserdf said:

Which dual outlet style adapter do you use for your CPAPs.  Both my wife and I use CPAPs and I have been lucky to have an open outlet behind the bed or run a light extension cord to the desk next to the bed. Recently did run into the one outlet behind the bed used for the lamp and the desk was on the wrong side of the cabin.  So I am looking for a dual outlet style adapter to plug the lamp back into and then an extension cord for both CPAPs behind the bed.  I would be interested in what adapter style you are using.  Thanks .....

I have found that the outlet behind the bed has always been a "European style" 220 volt 2 prong style (at least for the 8 or 9 ships I've been on.)  Here is what I use:

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

If you are needing to plug in 2 CPAPS, I use a "power splitter" such as this:

Power Tap.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have found that the outlet behind the bed has always been a "European style" 220 volt 2 prong style (at least for the 8 or 9 ships I've been on.)  Here is what I use:

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

If you are needing to plug in 2 CPAPS, I use a "power splitter" such as this:

Power Tap.jpg

Thank you for the detailed posting.  I wasn't sure if the lamp would plug back into the end of this adapter.  I don't think that power splitter will plug into the top of this adapter since it is 3 prong /w ground.  But we generally carry regular 2 prong extension cords for hotels etc.  So that should plug into the top and give me the two US outlets for the CPAPs.  I am not good at remembering the different cabin configurations and generally have had good luck with what we have.  A few times it hasn't worked great.  Leaving in November for 26 days on the Enchanted and will be in a DB cabin.  I think the desk is on the opposite side like the mini-suites, so this setup will work much better.  Again, thanks for the helpful information.

I have the same as above and works well, although you might take a spare as I had one fall apart, I think from the weight of having the lamp plugged back into the top, and then my adapter plugged into the US power of it, just the weight of it caused it to fail after about 4 cruises.  I now take a spare with me. 

1 hour ago, cruiserdf said:

I don't think that power splitter will plug into the top of this adapter since it is 3 prong /w ground. 

Sorry...I should have stated that I always carry a 3 prong US adapter along with all my other "goodies".

I have always been able to plug the "existing" lamp cord back into this adapter so that I retain the lamp function.

18 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I take a spare *everything*! You should see my "power bag"! 😄

🙂

In your image,  the plug on top I use for the European plug for the lamp, or as you say 2 prong adapter, and you could plug your US plug in the back one and use the ground.  At least that is how I do it.

43 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

🙂

In your image,  the plug on top I use for the European plug for the lamp, or as you say 2 prong adapter, and you could plug your US plug in the back one and use the ground.  At least that is how I do it.

That adapter is *very* versatile! You can plug things into spots that don't look like it would accept.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, kywildcatfanone said:

It seems to me that on the Sky a couple of years ago, they had outlets built into the lamp by the bed which you could use, but it seemed to me on ships older than that you had no outlet near the bed?  Is that true? 

Royal/Regal

Crown/Emerald/Ruby

Caribbean

Nope None bring your own