Southern Caribbean weather: how much of a jacket/sweater do I need at night aboard?

Linguist208

My wife is finishing up her packing and she's reached a point of frustration because she doesn't know if a thin dressy sweater is enough, or will she need a big Irish cable-knit cardigan, or a polartec flece, or what. How cold does it normally get at sea at night in that part of the world at this time of year?

• Like 1

Off ship she shouldn't have any problem unless a restaurant is freezing cold.  And I've never been on a bus with adequate air conditioning in the Caribbean.  On board the ship the public rooms might be chilly for her so she needs to take a lightweight sweater for that.  I always pack my lightweight dressy coverup which I can take off or on depending upon the "weather" at our chosen venue.

I now always pack a large neutral tone 100% cashmere rectangular shawl - always serviceable - from chilly airplanes to chilly dining rooms - very light weight and packable. 

Your question however reminds me of our very first HAL cruise -  a 12 Southern Caribbean on the Maasdam, about 20 years ago.

It was January and we were leaving California to go to our "sunny Florida" departure. I was dressed for the tropics to get in the mood, which  I had expected to find in this long-touted Sunshine State - the winter get away of choice for snow birds,  we had always read about in California.

On our very first sail away out of the Fort Launderdale harbor on the Maasdam forward deck - brrrrrrrrr - what was this?

So off to the onboard shops looking for something warmer to put on, because it certainly was not in my suitcase. I picked up a great zip up,  very subtle HAL logo top that even had  zip pockets - white cotton knit with a little navy blue trim. To this day, it is one of my favorite outer wear tops.

Moral of the story - the ship shops might have something you need, if you did not bring the right items, or the ports often have cover-ups as well - shawls, pop tops and knit scarfs.

• Like 2

3 years ago , we were on a 21 day B2B out of Ft. Llate March 2019. On day  10  when we returned to Ft L. rather than stay on the ship for the day , we decided on a day tour of FT. L that also included a canal ride on the  Paddle Queen ( not sure of the name) showing us all the yachts and mansions we could never afford. Well the day started out sunny as we were leaving the ship to board the bus- however in afew minutes clouds starting coming in and by the time we got off the bus to do our first walkabout with the guide a few sprinkles were coming down and wind coming up.  Then the boat ride. Sad to say we were not dressed for that at all as we were in "sunny" Florida.  We almost froze!! That boat turned in to a small wind tunnel. Would rather pack something extra now , as it sure spoiled our day and the tour. Now we laugh about it - not so much that day!!