Inside Collosseum, St. Peter's and Sistine Chapel

honeymooner16

We will be in Rome on the Wonder in June. I think we are in Rome on the 16th. I can't seem to find a ship tour that does all three. Its not clear yet if RCCL is going to allow us to do private tours. Does anyone know if there is an RCCL tour that does all three? If not, are there private tours that do all three? Bonus points if they cater to younger kids. Thanks in advance!

These are very popular sites and can get very clogged with tourists. I don't know RCCL but going by other cruise lines, it is possible that they may offer a (very pricey) small group tour with inside visits to all three places. It is not likely with a full-size bus tour, just given the number of people to herd around -- you're more likely to get two out of the three, with a lunch. (e.g., St. Peters' + Sistine or St. Peters + Colosseum).

Lengthy security line-ups at the Colosseum are the main hold-up there, so even with a skip-the-line tour, you still have to wait for the security check. Even some private tours (e.g., RomeinLimo) do not include an inside visit to the Colosseum on their "Rome Highlights" tours.

The Sistine chapel is a time-taker because you have to enter the Vatican museums regular entrance and then walk about 30 minutes inside the museum before you even reach the Sistine chapel. However, the mitigating factor here is that after viewing the Sistine, if you are on a guided tour, you can take a quick shortcut into St. Peters without having to wait in any additional lines.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, cruisemom42 said:

However, the mitigating factor here is that after viewing the Sistine, if you are on a guided tour, you can take a quick shortcut into St. Peters without having to wait in any additional lines.

Unfortunately,  the cut through to St Peter's is currently closed even to the Vatican's own tours. It may reopen later on this year, but no date has been set.

Edited by marazul

14 hours ago, marazul said:

Unfortunately,  the cut through to St Peter's is currently closed even to the Vatican's own tours. It may reopen later on this year, but no date has been set.

I had not realized that -- thanks for the update.

We are on Wonder July 31st, doing this tour in Rome.  We signed up for Best of Rome: Vatican, Colosseum, Trevi fountain and St Peters.  It is $389.00 per person.  Hope this helps.

Woah!  I have the feeling these are going to be more like "drive by" stops, not really going inside.  Have you verified that?  Those are 3 intense places to see well in 1 day.  And, you are going to have to get out and walk most likely for Trevi Fountain - I've never seen a vehicle around there.  

If this "tour" includes transport from the ship, through Rome and back to the ship, the price the OP posted seems within the norm for cruiser-specific tours.  The $99 special is for when you meet up with your guide somewhere in Rome, right?

On 3/28/2022 at 9:44 AM, cougartwins said:

Essentially the same tour is available through italytours.eu for $99 per person

I cannot see this option on their website. Interested. Can you point me to the right direction to find out the details and how to book? 

• 2 months later...