Detailed review of the Meraviglia during Spring Break

Markanddonna

On 3/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Nunagoras said:

For now I've no cruises booked elsewhere, because those issues are industry wise, even on the so called luxury lines, not just an MSC exclusive problem.

And for the ones brave enough to go: Have nice sailings and, at least, expect problems to arise elsewhere.

Have to fully disagree with your opinion that the problems you experienced are industry wide.  I spent 12 days in January on the Celebrity Apex and during our second leg of 7 days, we had more crew than passengers on board.  About 1250 crew and 1050 passengers.  Also spend 14 days in February on the Carnival Mardi Gras with 5000 passengers each week.  Had no problems whatsoever.

The problem is with MSC.  We sailed on them 4 years ago on the Seaside in the Yacht Club.  Had a good time.  Over the next four years, pricing for the Yacht Club has gone through the roof.  We are contemplating a cruise on the Meraviglia next July when she embarks from Brooklyn.  At this point I will monitor the pricing and see how the reviews are once she gets out of drydock and is back to doing weekly sailings.  MSC's customer service in the US is abysmal and many say it's YC or nothing.  Because of the price increase and no HC inside cabins in YC, that would not be an option for us.  It'll be interesting if the reviews are good enough outside of YC over the next few months to entice us to book.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Have to fully disagree with your opinion that the problems you experienced are industry wide.  I spent 12 days in January on the Celebrity Apex and during our second leg of 7 days, we had more crew than passengers on board.  About 1250 crew and 1050 passengers.  Also spend 14 days in February on the Carnival Mardi Gras with 5000 passengers each week.  Had no problems whatsoever.

The problem is with MSC.  We sailed on them 4 years ago on the Seaside in the Yacht Club.  Had a good time.  Over the next four years, pricing for the Yacht Club has gone through the roof.  We are contemplating a cruise on the Meraviglia next July when she embarks from Brooklyn.  At this point I will monitor the pricing and see how the reviews are once she gets out of drydock and is back to doing weekly sailings.  MSC's customer service in the US is abysmal and many say it's YC or nothing.  Because of the price increase and no HC inside cabins in YC, that would not be an option for us.  It'll be interesting if the reviews are good enough outside of YC over the next few months to entice us to book.

I didn't personally to experience any after Covid problems once I didn't travel since then, but I'm familiarized enough with the whole travel industry to know that general services are not at par with what they used to be before the pandemic, land, air or sea side whatsoever.

YC is not the best secret of the cruising industry for the enjoyment of a few only anymore... I'm so sad I didn't enjoy that when it was affordable!... Not anymore!... Aurea experience will give you at least part of the benefits and an exclusive part on the MDR with a slightly better menu though... But prices seem to be high as well...

That said, go to any other CC board for other lines and you'll find pretty much the same or similar problems on every other line of your choice. The main issue seems to be that they're having problems on hiring the appropriate personnel level for full capacity ships. I won't discuss particular problems line by line, nor the fact that MSC land services really don't entirely please the American market or part of it. On one thing I'm certain though: If it was generally that bad, MSC cruises would to be out of commission for years from now. Happens they're here and arguably growing as far as possible these days! finally: Yes, they're different in some ways, but they're similar standards within the mainstream cruising market as the others. If you're OK with regular cabin RCI standards, you'll be OK on a regular MSC cabin.

Have a nice day!...

Edited by Nunagoras

We've been on the Divina twice and liked her. We're booked on the Seashore in May, and the customer service  on land has been abysmal. First i lost the cabin I booked, then when I got a cabin, after final payment, the price went up $209.00. After going around and around with them, even on Facebook, I just paid the damn thing. This will definitely be our last MSC cruise. I'd even go Carnival ahead of MSC.

• 1 month later...