Directions on parking at Port Everglades for Princess Cruises

We_like_to_cruise

[I intentionally put this post on the general Princess thread rather than the North American Homeports / Florida departures thread as this information is specific to Princess cruise guests.  Moderator, please move if I am incorrect, thank you]

We recently parked at Port Everglades for our Princess cruise.  Despite online research and queries on cruisecritic.com, we found it a bit confusing.  The port could do a better job with signage.  The detailed directions provided below will hopefully make your experience easier.  

This is for directions to the parking garage at Port Everglades Terminal 2.  Princess cruise ships typically dock at this “Ocean Medallion” terminal.

First, to confirm your Princess ship will be at Terminal 2, head to https://www.porteverglades.net/

One of the main page links will be for “Ship Schedule”.  Scroll down and on the “From” or “To” column, if you see the number 02 then your embarkation will be at Terminal 2.  The schedule only initially shows 7 days at a time. You can click the “Next 7 Days” button at the top right for the following week.  The scheduler only shows the most current 14 day period.

If you want to park at the port, the cost is $15 per day.  At this time no reservations are necessary for the 1818 parking spaces.  There is also no   pre-payment of parking.  There is less expensive parking offsite, but parking at the port is very convenient.

Port Everglades has a number of parking lots and garages.  For Princess cruises departing from Terminal 2, you want to park at the HERON parking garage.  (Note - you may see this listed on older websites as the Northport parking garage, another point of confusion).

There are a few entrances into the large port complex.  The most direct entrance to the Heron parking garage is off SE 17th St.  You will not be taking Eller Drive and /or Eisenhower Blvd.  If you use Google Maps, set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 1.  (In Google maps, if you set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 2 you will not get these easier directions!)   Again, using Google Maps, make sure you choose the US-1 option.  Then, take SE 17th St. and make a right onto the 17th St. / Marriott Drive ramp into the port.   

Once you exit the ramp onto the street, get into the left lane and look for the signs for Terminals 2 and 4.  You will make a left onto the road leading to Terminals 2 and 4.  We did not find the signs easy to see, so be alert.  The signs are orange colored and feature a Heron.

(If you were to incorrectly go straight instead of turning, you will see a set of guard booths and a checkpoint in front of you. In previous trips to the port, using other entrances, we had to stop at a guard booth to show our government-issued ID and once even had the trunk of our Uber inspected.  Oddly that is not the case when entering from SE 17th St.).

Next, follow the signs to baggage drop.  You will circle around to the right.  Pull over to an empty spot and leave your large bags with the porters.  You did put your Princess luggage tags on your bags, didn’t you??  We always tip the porters a few dollars for each bag.  Hang onto your carry-on bags.  Follow the exit signs which wrap around the building.  When you get out to the street you will see a ramp for the parking garage on your far left.  There is no signage that indicates it is a parking garage.  But you will see the large ramp heading upwards.

When you take the ramp into the parking garage, grab a ticket from the machine and keep going upward to the top (5) level.  The signage inside the garage is inadequate for letting you know which lanes are for going to higher levels, or for exiting.  Don’t give up, you will get there.

Level 5 is the top level.  It is mostly uncovered but there is a section of covered spots in the middle on Aisle C.  On our recent cruise there were plenty of covered spots available. 

You will see a building at one end of the parking area.  Outside the building there are machines for paying for your parking (more on that later).  There are also some elevators outside.  You do not want them; they take you to Terminal 4.

An air conditioned elevated “bridge” connects the parking garage structure Level 5 and Terminal 2.

Enter the building, and continue straight on the walkway to the very end.  There is also a moving walkway if you prefer.  At the very end of the walkway is another bank of elevators.  There are NO SIGNS to let you know what to do or even if you are in the correct place.  But, you are.

Take the elevator to 1 – you do not have a choice since that is the only option.

When you exit the elevator, you will be back outside at the street level where you dropped off your luggage a few minutes ago.  Follow the signs all around the building to the embarkation area inside.  Then some friendly Princess representatives will assist you with embarkation.

Enjoy your cruise !

Okay, now that you are back in Fort Lauderdale, after you go through Customs, follow the signs which lead you outside to Ground Transportation and the Parking Garage.  You will end up at the same elevator you went down the week before.  But it will look different a week later, lol.

Take the elevator to 5 – your only choice.  Once you exit the elevator you can use your parking ticket stub to pay at the outside pay station.  You must pay before getting to the barrier arm exit on the lowest level.  There is no one to take your payment there.

Unfortunately, exiting the garage is also confusing because of the poor signage. 

Present your paid ticket stub at the 1st floor barrier arm and you will be on your way.

The attached map shows P (in green) and 2 (in yellow) at the top middle of the image.  It is just below the wording “Convention Center Construction / Construction”.  This is where the Heron Parking Garage is located.

Port Everglades map.pdf

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 7 months later...

Just be aware that there is only one ship (obviously) per terminal and if there are two (or even infrequently three during high season) Princess ships in port the other two will be at other terminals (we've been at 21 and 4 but by next year 4 will be the Disney terminal).  That will be noted on the ship's schedule and at signs at each entrance.

The official website noted by the OP (www.porteverglades.net) has lots of great information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

how/if can I print out the OP's post without anything else - maybe copy and paste it in an email to myself? or can I do it straight from here?

I use Windows OS (version 10).  If I select all the text in the post and then right-click on it, one of the options is "Print...". 

Another option is to select the text and copy it.  Then, paste into a Word document and you can play with the formatting before printing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have used a remote site park n go (google it).  Cheaper and they use shuttles to take you right to your ship terminal.  They handle your luggage.  On return, they have shuttles circulating every few minutes to take you back to your car which is pulled out and ready for you.  Will load your luggage in the car.  Cars are not under a cover like a parking garage but it is totally hassle free.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RiverCrossing said:

Is it common for the ships to leave from one terminal and return to another? I'm a little frustrated with this because we are driving and will have to figure out how to get back to our car. 

ship.PNG

1.  use the park n go mentioned above

2. drop off luggage at 21 (depart) - go park car at 2 garage (arrival) - call cab to get back to 21

at least you know what's going to happen - we didn't the first time, and Princess provided 'shuttles/buses' took us about an hour to get back to where we parked our car.  Next time we used the park n go - hasn't happened since

• Like 1

Strongly recommend Park'n'Go. Have used them numerous times and will again next time we drive to Port Everglades. We make reservation online and pay online -- it's cheaper.

It does not mattter which terminal that you leave from or return to. Their shuttle is either waiting or arrives within minutes when you disembark.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trekkerlady said:

We have used a remote site park n go (google it).  Cheaper and they use shuttles to take you right to your ship terminal.  They handle your luggage.  On return, they have shuttles circulating every few minutes to take you back to your car which is pulled out and ready for you.  Will load your luggage in the car.  Cars are not under a cover like a parking garage but it is totally hassle free.  

Yes, this is certainly another option.  And, we have done that as well.  However, parking directly at the terminal and walking right from your car to the ship is pretty awesome. 

On our last cruise the cost was only slightly higher at the port versus off-site.  And certainly more convenient!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RiverCrossing said:

Is it common for the ships to leave from one terminal and return to another? I'm a little frustrated with this because we are driving and will have to figure out how to get back to our car. 

ship.PNG

Yes, the embarkation terminal and the disembarkation terminal may be different.  That was not the case in our last two Princess cruises.  However, if you disembark at a different terminal, a shuttle bus will take you to your embarkation terminal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Yes, the embarkation terminal and the disembarkation terminal may be different. 

And if you embark at terminal 2 and disembark at terminal 4 (or vice versa), they share the Heron Garage (that was our experience last January).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Yes, the embarkation terminal and the disembarkation terminal may be different.  That was not the case in our last two Princess cruises.  However, if you disembark at a different terminal, a shuttle bus will take you to your embarkation terminal.

That is good to know, I wasn't sure an uber would take us such a short distance. Thank you for your comment. 

Edited by RiverCrossing
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

1.  use the park n go mentioned above

2. drop off luggage at 21 (depart) - go park car at 2 garage (arrival) - call cab to get back to 21

at least you know what's going to happen - we didn't the first time, and Princess provided 'shuttles/buses' took us about an hour to get back to where we parked our car.  Next time we used the park n go - hasn't happened since

We would like to have the truck in a covered and some security garage. I don't think my husband will go for the park n go.
Your second suggestion was one I thought about as well. Good to know about the shuttle and ubers/cabs will take us the short distance. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RiverCrossing said:

ship.PNG

Not sure what your question is. In your example the CB departed and arrived from 21in the first instance and departed and arrived at 2 in the second instance. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sabreline said:

Not sure what your question is. In your example the CB departed and arrived from 21in the first instance and departed and arrived at 2 in the second instance. 

Our cruise is leaving 12/18 from T21. It will return 12/28 to T2. You are looking at the ships arrival and departure on the same date That is why there are two line items for each date. See first column for date and times. 

However my question was answer previously. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bonship said:

Thank you for the detailed directions.  We had a devil of a time finding the parking garage on our last cruise.  I'm going to print these directions out for future reference.

Take a look at the map on the Port Everglades website too. (www.porteverglades.net).  You an also use Google Maps.  Just enter Port Everglades Terminal # or if you already know the garage name (Heron or Palm) enter Port Everglades followed by the garage name.  

Edited by capriccio

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

You an also use Google Maps.  Just enter Port Everglades Terminal # or if you already know the garage name (Heron or Palm) enter Port Everglades followed by the garage name.  

Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. 

From my original post:  "...  If you use Google Maps, set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 1.  (In Google maps, if you set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 2 you will not get these easier directions!)   Again, using Google Maps, make sure you choose the US-1 option.  Then, take SE 17th St. and make a right onto the 17th St. / Marriott Drive ramp into the port."  

1 hour ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. 

From my original post:  "...  If you use Google Maps, set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 1.  (In Google maps, if you set your destination to Port Everglades Terminal 2 you will not get these easier directions!)   Again, using Google Maps, make sure you choose the US-1 option.  Then, take SE 17th St. and make a right onto the 17th St. / Marriott Drive ramp into the port."  

This is my recommended approach avoiding the construction of the new convention center. This is my home port and I have parked in the Heron Garage twice this year.  From 17th street go south on Eisenhower Blvd.  Take the left at the Heron Garage (can’t be missed since there is a multi story mural of a heron on the garage). Drive along the garage until Terminal 2 is in front of you.  Drop your luggage off with the porters and exit the drop off area and take the ramp on your left up into the garage.  

But either way, I know we both recommend familiarizing yourself with the port layout before arriving!

• Like 1