What Fred did to the former Amsterdam and Rotterdam

OlsSalt

2 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

We did 34 days on the Amsterdam in the fall of 2019 - I *loved* the ship. So many little private hiding spots - I especially liked the outside deck below the bridge and the many loungers across the aft of the ship. I really liked zig-zagging through bulkheads to get to areas that I'm used to being restricted areas on other ships.

I was *very* disappointed when I heard it was being sold...

Her nearly identical sister ships, the Zaandam and the Volendam, are still sailing with HAL - same great itineraries. With all the special places onboard we all learned to love.  

• Like 1

I definitely will be sailing with Fred once travel is back in swing; only real disadvantage I see is that the sailings are all planned to begin and end in the UK ports, which can make for some long voyages "there and back" and quite a few extra days -- of which I am not a big fan -- as opposed to lines that offer more "open jaw" trips.

The food offerings actually look very good to me, especially having an Asian themed rather than a steak house for the major specialty restaurant.

41 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I definitely will be sailing with Fred once travel is back in swing; only real disadvantage I see is that the sailings are all planned to begin and end in the UK ports, which can make for some long voyages "there and back" and quite a few extra days -- of which I am not a big fan -- as opposed to lines that offer more "open jaw" trips.

The food offerings actually look very good to me, especially having an Asian themed rather than a steak house for the major specialty restaurant.

I agree.

21 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Her nearly identical sister ships, the Zaandam and the Volendam, are still sailing with HAL - same great itineraries. With all the special places onboard we all learned to love.  

Thanks! Yes - I was planning to look into the sister ships once we have an opening in our schedule.

This year we're on the Koningsdam & Zuiderdam and I'm thinking I'll be missing some of the things I really liked about the Amsterdam...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just saw this Emma Cruises review of the Fred Olsen Bolette, formerly the HAL Amsterdam.  The ship looks gorgeous and it is obvious they put a lot of money into it.  Although the decor has changed, some of the rooms look familiar from HAL cruises many years ago.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have not watched any of Emma's You Tubes recently so had not seen this. I was actually very impressed. Now I want to sail on Fred Olson specifically this ship since Amsterdam was my favorite of the R class ships. I think Fred Olsen did a wonderful job on the Amsterdam and the feel still feels like the HAL I remember and loved. I would love to sail on Fred Olsen but it is very limited for US to purchase.

• Like 1