White after Labor Day ??

:rolleyes:OK... this thread MAYBE should be on the cruise fashions folder, but I wanted a RCI cruiser point of view and ... all my 'buddies' here can can find it easier to hi-jack:D

DW asked me to inquire of all of the well informed people here if there is any validity to the "No White after Labor Day" rule while cruising the Caribbean (Early March). (OK, she said "why don't you post this question on that stupid board" :rolleyes: )

So.. what gives? can she wear white shorts? slacks? Jacket?

In the Caribbean white is correct all year. The countries of the Caribbean do not observe Memorial Day and Labor Day and do not have a "winter" as such. There would be no logic in not wearing white at any time of the year.

No one will look twice at you if you wear white shorts, white shoes and white blouses any day of the year. The Caribbean is all about being free and easy.

That said, some strict traditionalists here have said passengers should not wear white on a cruise ship during the fall, and winter and early spring. I lived in Venezuela many years. My sister lived in the Bahamas over twenty years. Both of us find such a position entirely too strict.

Lets' put it this way. If you can wear a bathing suit on a cruise ship, why in heck couldn't you wear white?

The formal nights for the ladies seem to reflect "seasons" more than day times, and the more casual evenings seem to be less so. Right or wrong, you see darker colors during our winter months.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't stress over this.

The formal nights for the ladies seem to reflect "seasons" more than day times, and the more casual evenings seem to be less so. Right or wrong, you see darker colors during our winter months.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't stress over this.

Thanks all for the response.

I did not think it would be any issue but as HeavySurf said...They don't HAVE labor day... how can it be after it?

Don't worry, I won't stress over it:D

:rolleyes: Stylish fashionista that I am, I've always been under the impression that the "rule" of wearing white only between Memorial Day and Labor Day is applied only in places where there are distinctive four seasons. Doesn't really make sense in places with year-round warm weather.

Wearing white is fine all the time in the Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with QueensChick. Here in Fl we wear white all year long. Especially if you are a retiree and got rid of all of your 'up north' clothes when you moved.

Makes it nice when cruising in the winter months, though. Don't have to drag out the out of season clothes. Cruise clothes are always in season here!!

Hey orange- she can definetly wear white- especially if they are jeans!

LOL

I KNEW that comment was coming...LOL:D

So is NOW the appropriate time to post:

Just click the link and the following can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...I4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

BTW... can I wear ORANGE in the dining room??? it's not in the guidelines...

OK... this thread MAYBE should be on the cruise fashions folder, but I wanted a RCI cruiser point of view and ... all my 'buddies' here can can find it easier to hi-jack

DW asked me to inquire of all of the well informed people here if there is any validity to the "No White after Labor Day" rule while cruising the Caribbean (Early March). (OK, she said "why don't you post this question on that stupid board" )

So.. what gives? can she wear white shorts? slacks? Jacket?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
SOMEHOW... the DW does not see the same pleasures I see from posting here...in FACT, she at times thinks I am CRAZY (most times, she is correct;) )

....go figure

I MAY just have to tell her that "the stupid board" said "SURE... wear white... but only if you wear that REALLY big corsage!!"

The current fashionistas indicate that white is the color of "joy" and can be worn year-round. Apparently the "no white clothes" after Labor Day thing had to do with mud, and unsightly long skirts, before the sidewalks and streets were paved. ( Don't quote me, it was in an article)

Cruises are always fair game for white, pants, shorts, whatever. You will notice that the ship's officers wear white uniforms year round. :D

Well here goes.....

In South Fla the only people who wear white after labor day are the tourists or snowbirds. The people who live here follow the seasons.

Having said that...on a cruise ship we are all tourists...so go for it.

Personally I was wondering what the rule was also! In fact I just said to myself today, while deciding on a formal dress, should I wear black shoes? then I realized I am going in August, before Labor day so I can't wear black! Same rule as not wearing white after Labor day. So Im going with silver! Im also giong with a spring colored dress for formal night, so who cares anyway! Im on vacation! :)

P.S. I like orange jeans.:D Won't get lost if you fall in the water.

Maybe it is just me but I have never followed this so called "rule". I don't think any of the people I know or assosciate with do so either. I have seen white being worn at all times of the year whether I am on vacation or not.

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. Who cares what anyone else thinks. You will see these people for one week out of your life. Why worry over what they are thinking of your clothes.

Archived