Second sitting Britannia Dining Room QM2

deck chair

Hello:

I have travelled routinely as a solo passenger on all of my 40+ voyages on the Queen Mary 2, 15 voyages on QE2 and 2-3 voyages each on QV and QE.  My last voyage was on the QM2's interrupted 2020 world cruise.  Cunard handled that situation very well.  No line could have done better.

There appears to be much uncertainty regarding dining times for second sitting in the Britannia Dining room.  From reports I have read second sitting is now actually OPEN dining with a start time at 7:45 with last orders at 9.  No one seems to know for sure if this scheme will remain in place going forward.

I would be very surprised if most Cunard passengers who book second sitting are aware of this.  All they may see is SECOND SITTING CONFIRMED.  Will they be in for an unsettling surprise!

Sorry Cunard, there is no way I am sailing again on QM2 or any other Cunard ship if you don't return to the second sitting that has long been practiced.  My decision will be made the day before final payment is due.  My next boked sailing is January 3, 2023, from New York to Sydney.  68 days.

I am not going to spend one minute worrying about where I am sitting day to day, the hassle of making daily reservations, who my waiters will be, who will be my table companions will be and who will show up night to night.  Sure, you can get the same table for 8 by a window every night but there is no guarantee you will not be alone.  Or perhaps you show up at 8:30 and find that your table companions are halfway done as they arrived at 7:45. Or you may find that during the course of the sitting your table companions are arriving at a variety of times withing the window.  It will not make for a fabulous experience.  I feel sorry for the waiters who will be forced to deal with this chaos.

What about the World Club parties and the captain's welcome reception for second sitting passengers which in the past has ended at 8:30 to coincide with the beginning of the second sitting?  Of course, Cunard may end the evening parties all together and have them in the afternoon.  Don't put it past them. For the last few years, the Senior Officers party has been held in the afternoon no doubt to save money as fewer passengers attend.

It is not just solo passengers who are concerned.  I know of several families and couples who are upset about this.  To them having the same table, time, same waiters and same table companions adds to the dining experience. 

I recommend every Cunard passenger alarmed by this is to pass the word, raise alarm and contact Cunard management and express displeasure. It's not too late. Be well.

Deck chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hello:

I have travelled routinely as a solo passenger on all of my 40+ voyages on the Queen Mary 2, 15 voyages on QE2 and 2-3 voyages each on QV and QE.  My last voyage was on the QM2's interrupted 2020 world cruise.  Cunard handled that situation very well.  No line could have done better.

There appears to be much uncertainty regarding dining times for second sitting in the Britannia Dining room.  From reports I have read second sitting is now actually OPEN dining with a start time at 7:45 with last orders at 9.  No one seems to know for sure if this scheme will remain in place going forward.

I would be very surprised if most Cunard passengers who book second sitting are aware of this.  All they may see is SECOND SITTING CONFIRMED.  Will they be in for an unsettling surprise!

Sorry Cunard, there is no way I am sailing again on QM2 or any other Cunard ship if you don't return to the second sitting that has long been practiced.  My decision will be made the day before final payment is due.  My next boked sailing is January 3, 2023, from New York to Sydney.  68 days.

I am not going to spend one minute worrying about where I am sitting day to day, the hassle of making daily reservations, who my waiters will be, who will be my table companions will be and who will show up night to night.  Sure, you can get the same table for 8 by a window every night but there is no guarantee you will not be alone.  Or perhaps you show up at 8:30 and find that your table companions are halfway done as they arrived at 7:45. Or you may find that during the course of the sitting your table companions are arriving at a variety of times withing the window.  It will not make for a fabulous experience.  I feel sorry for the waiters who will be forced to deal with this chaos.

What about the World Club parties and the captain's welcome reception for second sitting passengers which in the past has ended at 8:30 to coincide with the beginning of the second sitting?  Of course, Cunard may end the evening parties all together and have them in the afternoon.  Don't put it past them. For the last few years, the Senior Officers party has been held in the afternoon no doubt to save money as fewer passengers attend.

It is not just solo passengers who are concerned.  I know of several families and couples who are upset about this.  To them having the same table, time, same waiters and same table companions adds to the dining experience. 

I recommend every Cunard passenger alarmed by this is to pass the word, raise alarm and contact Cunard management and express displeasure. It's not too late. Be well.

Deck chair.

Fully agree. Anytime dining is not a Cunard tradition and should be put to rest. Particularly for the second seating.

12 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

I am comfortable compromising, and I would never refuse to cruise on Cunard for a dining time reason.

I have a longer response in the original posting of this topic on the other thread.

Hell0:

If you are comfortable with this dining arrangement that is wonderful for you. I am happy for you.   I am not going to spend many thousands of dollars on a long cruise that does not suit my needs and meet my preferences.  I am not going to sail with Cunard NO MATTER WHAT as some people seem to be doing.  I will do something else or stay home and watch birds flying by.  I am NOT a no matter what kind of guy!

Edited by deck chair

So you're not going to cruise at all then? Which other cruise lines do fixed seating? I know Princess does it as an option - but that's the same as what Cunard is doing surely.  

I don't see a problem - go to a solo get together either online in advance or in person on board  - organize a group  and a booking for every night - job done. 

Everyone who has booked and  who has managed to login to their my cunard - wil know this is the case as its clearly stated there. 

If Cunard never changed anything - you'd still be doing no  formal dress outside of the Grllls  and  sharing bathrooms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

So you're not going to cruise at all then? Which other cruise lines do fixed seating? I know Princess does it as an option - but that's the same as what Cunard is doing surely.  

I don't see a problem - go to a solo get together either online in advance or in person on board  - organize a group  and a booking for every night - job done. 

Everyone who has booked and  who has managed to login to their my cunard - wil know this is the case as its clearly stated there. 

If Cunard never changed anything - you'd still be doing no  formal dress outside of the Grllls  and  sharing bathrooms. 

Hi Lissie....thank you for your comments.  Always welcomed.  That is exactly right.  I will not sail with Cunard if this open sitting remains.  I am not alone.

Lissie, I have my memories, pictures and videos to rely on.  I have been sailing on ships such as the FRANCE since I was six.  So many memories and wonderful times. Perhaps this is the end of ocean travel for me.  The sailing experience sure has been diminished and dumbed down over the years so will probably not be missed that much at least by me.  My first Cunard sailing was 15 days on the SAGAFJORD in 1993 or so.  I should show you the menus and programs.  It was amazing.   And I should show you all my QE2 menus and programs.  People who have only been sailing for a few years have no idea what they have missed out on.  

There are too many other things I can do such as hanging out in Hawaii for a month. Or I can fly directly to Australia.  Or hang out with  you!!!

Your suggestion That I take matters into my hands is interesting.  I am not organizing anything including passengers (That would be like trying to herd a bunch of cats) and dealing with table arrangements every day.   You can do that but perhaps that is how you wish to spend  your time.   I am convinced you will be superb at these tasks.  

Given the advanced ages of many Cunard passengers Including myself please don't bet that many of them are going on MY CUNARD and wading through all the details of this and that.  There will be a lot of passengers who will be shocked when they learn on the ship that second sitting is not as they have experienced in the past.  And if this open sitting is such a great advance why isn't it being imposed on  the first sitting?  Or why not throw the evening dining to all open from 5PM to 9PM?

Should I count you as I WILLSAIL WITH CUNARD NO MATTER WHAT passenger? There appears to be a lot of such passengers with that mentality which no doubt appeals to and reassures Cunard management. This will encourage them to think they can do anything no matter what such as NOT having a proper promenade deck on the new ship.

I hope to meet you one day.  I will buy you a drink as we listen to Campbell Simpson play the piano in the Chart Room.  (Unless he has been eliminated to save money replaced by a player piano.)

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

6 hours ago, lissie said:

No, this is not what Cunard is doing. According to all the reports, it is not an option. One cannot book fixed second seating.

Thus Cunard did not only drop down to the likes of less traditional lines they even went lower.

While some might not see this as a problem, it is for many.

I have a roundtrip TA on QM2 booked in July and we have changed our dining to second sitting purely because of the system now in place and I am very happy with dining anytime between 7-45pm and 9pm and hope it is a permanent decision.

• Like 3

The open seating at second sitting does not appeal to me either. My options are to go back to first sitting, something we gave up on several years ago, or cross/cruise less until we can afford the Britannia Club or Grills. Our next two voyages are in PG and BC so it will be a while before I need worry about this.

A few years ago we had a cruise on Holland America. The lower level of the restaurant was open sitting and the upper level was assigned seating. Perhaps this would work on Cunard. 

44 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I have a roundtrip TA on QM2 booked in July and we have changed our dining to second sitting purely because of the system now in place and I am very happy with dining anytime between 7-45pm and 9pm and hope it is a permanent decision.

We are taking second seating for this same reason. Early seating was too early for us, and late was too late. Now we can choose the seating that IS right for us. I can’t imagine it will take more than a few minutes to arrange it if indeed it has to be arranged fresh each day. 

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Obviously you are not a straight solo male sailing. Solo women bring out the charity amongst many other passengers but solo males are toxic with couples and have a difficult time finding table mates. That is why the set seating is so very popular for this group of passengers. I have sailed on other lines and it is almost impossible to get a steady sharing table. Eating alone in the middle of a dining room is NOT what one pays big money for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Could you not use your voyage’s roll call to establish some singles meetups for the purpose, at least for the first couple of evenings?

Hi!  I suppose passengers can, but I don't want to be bothered with it and the follow up.  See herding cats. Perhaps it's time to try SAGA even though it would involve flying to the UK to board the ship.  I hear wonderful things about SAGA. I really don't understand why Cunard is upsetting longstanding practice for the sake of a few passengers who find 6 to early and 8:30 too late.  Or diminishing the dress code.  

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Could you not use your voyage’s roll call to establish some singles meetups for the purpose, at least for the first couple of evenings?

The voyage is 117 days and evenings. Assigned seating is the only way this is going to work. Pity the poor Maître 'D who has to deal with disgruntled passengers every single evening for 117 evenings. And there will be many.

6 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Dress code is a separate issue. It sounds as if you’re dissatisfied in general. So maybe it IS time to look elsewhere. That’s unfortunate.

There is nothing more intimidating to a casually under attired couple than having to dine with a traditionally attired solo male. Scares them silly.

1 minute ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Dress code is a separate issue. It sounds as if you’re dissatisfied in general. So maybe it IS time to look elsewhere. That’s unfortunate.

Thank you for your thoughts.  Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.   Why should I pay a lot of money for a diminished experience?   By the way, what is going on with the parties on the ship? One gets the feeling they are being done away with.  I hope to meet you one day.

Deck Chair

3 hours ago, deck chair said:

Thank you for your thoughts.  Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere.   Why should I pay a lot of money for a diminished experience?   By the way, what is going on with the parties on the ship? One gets the feeling they are being done away with.  I hope to meet you one day.

Deck Chair

I completely understand your thinking.

We eat around 7pm ish at home and later, on holiday but we don't prefer a fixed table at which to dine, we want it.

We are very lucky and have the choice of time at a fixed table in QG but if it was a case of freedom [or whatever it's called] second dining, or fixed early doors, we would be thinking of looking elsewhere.ps

Parties, we love cabin do's but main ones, we can do without! We enjoy the lunch time smaller occasions in the  Queens Room, but a collective drinks do before dinner? It's a ''no thanks'' from us.

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

There is nothing more intimidating to a casually under attired couple than having to dine with a traditionally attired solo male. Scares them silly.

Solo males aren't intimidating in our experience, thank goodness, whatever their mode of dress and most passengers will be comfortable with their choice of attire as long as it's within guideline parameters. 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lissie said:

Princess no longer does fixed seating. They allow you to reserve a table at a time via their app. And you can do so for the entire voyage, but you are not guaranteed the same table. (you can talk to the maitre d' and usually accomplish it, however). 

7 hours ago, carlmm said:

No, this is not what Cunard is doing. According to all the reports, it is not an option. One cannot book fixed second seating.

Thus Cunard did not only drop down to the likes of less traditional lines they even went lower.

While some might not see this as a problem, it is for many.

Agreed - Cunard drops one more notch in the pursuit of the masses who populate the mass market lines.

Good Afternoon,

One of my favorite parts of a Cunard voyage is the late dinner seating. I have plenty of time to have a productive day, on the ship or in port and then get ready at a leisurely pace. Of course a cocktail in the Commodore Club or the Chart Room precedes dinner. 
After winding my way to the Britannia Dining Room I am then greeted by the waitstaff and other diners who I’ve gotten to know by dining at the same table. 
I don’t have to constantly repeat that I like extra vegetables or I don’t want any bread as the waiter already knows my preferences from previous meals.

My wine is waiting for me as the Sommelier has placed the bottle that was opened the night before on the table.

I too am a solo traveler and greatly value the time I get to spend at dinner with people that I’ve gotten to know. Many nights my table has been one of the last ones to leave. We are all actually interested in how we’ve spent our days.

This is part of the Cunard appeal that got me hooked in the first place. I would hate to see it disappear. Six pm dinner for me just doesn’t work. Cunard needs to rethink their dining options and return to early and late fixed seating.

I do have 2 future trips planned, one in August on the Queen Elizabeth and one in October on my favorite ship, the QM2. I do hope things are back to the old Cunard way by then.

Thanks for listening… April 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Princess no longer does fixed seating. They allow you to reserve a table at a time via their app. And you can do so for the entire voyage, but you are not guaranteed the same table. (you can talk to the maitre d' and usually accomplish it, however). 

What app?  Are you referring to the onboard app - My Voyage?  Would be nice to access this app prior to sailing.

8 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Obviously you are not a straight solo male sailing. Solo women bring out the charity amongst many other passengers but solo males are toxic with couples and have a difficult time finding table mates. That is why the set seating is so very popular for this group of passengers. I have sailed on other lines and it is almost impossible to get a steady sharing table. Eating alone in the middle of a dining room is NOT what one pays big money for.

I completely disagree - the group table we had  a solo man and he was fascinating and pretyt much brought the group together. Couple are hard hard work (and I'm partof a couple but my man is awful at chatting) for other couples - I'll always talk to solo men over women because I normally have more in common with the men (don't have kids,  worked in  mining etc) 

• Like 2