Experience with Princess transfer Anchorage to Whittier

sunsetme

If you're taking it from Anchorage airport to Whittier terminal, taking the Princess bus transfer is the easiest and the most affordable way.  Takes 1.5 to two hours.  Bring some motion sickness pills, I didn't feel great on the bus from all the turns on the highway, and adding the stress of flying made it harder on me.

8 hours ago, tkwbear said:

The water views are on the right side from Anchorage to Whittier.

Actually I misspoke and was backwards.  From Anchorage to Whittier the good views are on the right.  If coming from Whittier there are on the left.

• Like 1

I think it's tragic that Carnival moved all its brands from Seward to Whittier. Seward is a beautiful little town with wonderful day trips to the Kenai Fjords and Exit Glacier. Whittier is a joke. 

When I first visited Alaska in the early 90's my Fodor tour book had a section on Whittier. They suggested not visiting. When the tunnel was opened to vehicle traffic, they suspended the tolls and I visited. At the time all the roads were dirt, and it looked like a town that had been bombed. Is the big building frame still there? It had a decent harbor, but I couldn't wait to leave.

14 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I think it's tragic that Carnival moved all its brands from Seward to Whittier. Seward is a beautiful little town with wonderful day trips to the Kenai Fjords and Exit Glacier. Whittier is a joke. 

When I first visited Alaska in the early 90's my Fodor tour book had a section on Whittier. They suggested not visiting. When the tunnel was opened to vehicle traffic, they suspended the tolls and I visited. At the time all the roads were dirt, and it looked like a town that had been bombed. Is the big building frame still there? It had a decent harbor, but I couldn't wait to leave.

Many people find Whittier fascinating, with a unique history and great views.  Most of the town inhabitants live in one building called Begich Towers that also houses their school, post office and a store.  It's also much quicker to get into Anchorage. The Whittier Inn serves good food at reasonable prices which is rare for tourist towns in Alaska.