Rapid PCR test

LMKakaThing2

I’ve looked on the Canadian government’s website, but can’t find an answer. 

Will a Rapid PCR test be acceptable for boarding the ship? I know they state a PCR test can be done 72hrs beforehand. I cruise on a Monday and will be testing on a Friday since I fly to Vancouver early Saturday. Worried that the regular PCR test results won’t be back in time. 

I am in a similar situation.  We are booked on what will be the third departure from Canada Place in April 2022 for a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii, and then the return for a B2B.  

My understanding is that the current Canadian test protocols for cruise ship boarding require either a PCR test 72 hours before boarding or antigen test the day before boarding.  The Canadian government requirements over-ride the individual cruise line requirements.

We plan to purchase a PCR test taken 72 hours before the boarding time.  We live in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Last year when pre-boarding cruise testing was introduced I found two testing sites locally which could have PCR test results back in time to meet our cruise lines' requirement.  The need for fast results can be an issue, at least where we live which may be a large state geographically but has a very small population.  Both were relatively pricey (US$335 per person at one site and US$209 per person at the other).  Last fall we were able to use a proctored antigen test, but we don't want to fly from the US to Canada until we know we have tested negative.  While I am sure the Canadian quarantine hotels are lovely, I really don't want to have first hand knowledge.

Next month we will purchase the PCR test with rapid results on a Thursday, fly to Vancouver on Friday and board on Saturday.  There are also testing facilities in the Vancouver airport which can do a rapid antigen (the YVR website has a list) and that will be our backup plan.  We also contacted our Vancouver hotel for a list of testing facilities in close proximity.

We have been to Hawaii so many times (my husband flew to Hawaii on business so many times that even during an Alaskan winter I wouldn't bother to join him) that I am becoming very ambivalent about this trip.

Canada won't require a test after April 1 for fully vaccinated people. So, if you are vaccinated, its your cruise line test requirement is what you need to comply with, nothing to do with Canada at all.

So, if you test...any type, on Friday, you should have the results by Monday. In February, we did a standard PCR test at 7am on Friday, had the results at 4pm, same day. Sailed Sunday.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Canada won't require a test after April 1 for fully vaccinated people. So, if you are vaccinated, its your cruise line test requirement is what you need to comply with, nothing to do with Canada at all.

So, if you test...any type, on Friday, you should have the results by Monday. In February, we did a standard PCR test at 7am on Friday, had the results at 4pm, same day. Sailed Sunday.

Actually Canada has testing requirements for boarding the ship. NCL states 3 days prior for a non-US port for an antigen test but Canada requires an antigen test be taken no more than 24hrs before boarding. Since the ship sails out of Vancouver, we have to follow the requirements that the Canadian government has put in place. 

6 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I am in a similar situation.  We are booked on what will be the third departure from Canada Place in April 2022 for a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii, and then the return for a B2B.  

My understanding is that the current Canadian test protocols for cruise ship boarding require either a PCR test 72 hours before boarding or antigen test the day before boarding.  The Canadian government requirements over-ride the individual cruise line requirements.

We plan to purchase a PCR test taken 72 hours before the boarding time.  We live in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Last year when pre-boarding cruise testing was introduced I found two testing sites locally which could have PCR test results back in time to meet our cruise lines' requirement.  The need for fast results can be an issue, at least where we live which may be a large state geographically but has a very small population.  Both were relatively pricey (US$335 per person at one site and US$209 per person at the other).  Last fall we were able to use a proctored antigen test, but we don't want to fly from the US to Canada until we know we have tested negative.  While I am sure the Canadian quarantine hotels are lovely, I really don't want to have first hand knowledge.

Next month we will purchase the PCR test with rapid results on a Thursday, fly to Vancouver on Friday and board on Saturday.  There are also testing facilities in the Vancouver airport which can do a rapid antigen (the YVR website has a list) and that will be our backup plan.  We also contacted our Vancouver hotel for a list of testing facilities in close proximity.

We have been to Hawaii so many times (my husband flew to Hawaii on business so many times that even during an Alaskan winter I wouldn't bother to join him) that I am becoming very ambivalent about this trip.

Before Canada changed the testing requirements for cruise ship passengers, we decided to fly in 2 days early thinking our rapid antigen test would cover both entering Canada and boarding the ship since NCL states a rapid can be taken 3 days ahead of time for a non-US port. But right after the cutoff to make flight changes, Canada changed the testing requirements. 

With testing on a Friday, just not sure how quickly the lab will get the results back to us. Are labs even open on the weekends? 

I’ve never had to wait more than 24hrs for results, but that has always been in the middle of the week. 

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Until things change again, Canada won't require a test to enter Canada for fully vaccinated people. However, they do require the test to board a cruise ship. And their requirement is more stringent than many cruise ships in terms of timing. However- it is still required that you download and complete the Canadian online form. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Now- will this change? Yes. But who knows when. Cruise lines are saying that April 30 is the next date to watch for changes. Since I don't cruise til July, I will try to have patience. 

• Thanks 3

I don’t know how our testing issue will be resolved and anxiously awaiting the first Alaskan cruises for a possible answer.

We fly to Anchorage early on Tuesday morning, July 12 for a Celebrity land tour. We will not board our ship until Friday afternoon,  July 15. We need a COVID test prior to getting on the ship but have no idea if this is something COVID will arrange or what will happen. From Tuesday to Friday we will be with the Celebrity tour. Will they assist us in finding somewhere to test?

Of course we can always hope that they drop the mandate to test before embarkation.

While I haven't boarded a cruise ship under the new regime, I would be extremely surprised if the list of acceptable test types differs from the current tests needed even by fully-vaxxed travelers given it's the Federal government who set both the 'enter the country' and the 'get on a cruise ship' rules.

The specific list of types that count as 'molecular tests' (which are being commonly referred to as 'PCR' even though that's just one sub-type) can be found here - scroll down about half-way until you see the section labelled Molecular Tests, and don't forget to click the blue text 'Other acceptable types of molecular tests:'  to see the full list. As long as what you get done is on that list it counts: we've personally made use of NAAT and RT-PCR to cross the border back into Canada.