Is Cunard milking QG , pushing prices too high

Windsurfboy

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Best part of that OBC will be swallowed up first night on gratuities they automatically add. US cruisers in grills get free drinks packages and gratuities. I know which I would rather have and is far better value.

It’s not better value if you want to order any of the wines that are only available by the bottle.  I much prefer the OBC which can contribute towards my wine selection!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

I too would be interested. 
For example, You could just about get a special deal for a week in the med in aug/sept on a lux line in a very ordinary small, balcony room for the price of a Q1/2 similar itinerary and price. So if space, off piste QG food and formality is your thing, then where else can you get that for the price? A large suite on a lux line is going to cost upwards of £15k each. Not £5k as per Cunard. Huge difference.

Sorry don't understand where you get your figures from

My 14 day Mediterranean cruise in a Q5 is £14k , a q1 is twice the price. For £28k I've just looked you could get owners suite on both Silversea and Seabourn for a 14 day cruise . So I don't understand the only get a very small balcony room for price of Q1/2. 

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry don't understand where you get your figures from

My 14 day Mediterranean cruise in a Q5 is £14k , a q1 is twice the price. For £28k I've just looked you could get owners suite on both Silversea and Seabourn for a 14 day cruise . So I don't understand the only get a very small balcony room for price of Q1/2. 

I am sure the food you would get on Silversea and Seabourn would be just as good as QG on Cunard and you have the added bonus of both being all inclusive which Cunard isnt.

13 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Free drinks and gratuities are by no means standard for US POS, it varies with the crossing and pricing level.  

Indeed, we received the drinks package and gratuities for our Alaska cruise in PG. Friends who booked a bit later than we did - but still almost a year in advance - received neither.

Windsurf, ok, i looked at a random sept QG 7 day cruise in Q1 which was £5600, if i were to go on SB cruise in a verandah cabin for a week, i would on some med sailings be looking at £4500-5000 for a week. I usually take a penthouse which costs us £14k, but a full suite would be considerably more than that. Obviously, the longer the cruise the cheaper it gets, but i am just basing this on a week in the med. 

majortom, as for the food, yes it is as good but you dont get to have what you want, only what is on the menu generally, and like i say you would be in a very mediocre cabin compared to a q1 for the same money.

Clearly Cunard does not suit, as I have said previously, QG isn’t meant to appeal to the masses.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

To be fair, I would imagine QG would appeal ''to the masses'' but it's up to ndividuals how they spend their hard earned cash.

We could book whatever we wanted on other cruise lines, but at the moment,  love the product we buy on Cunard. Other folk could book what we do but prefer not to. Horses for courses and all that.

Luckily, we're all different and also how lucky we are we can debate this subject on a book it or leave it basis.

I won't say more.

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To be fair, I would imagine QG would appeal ''to the masses'' but it's up to ndividuals how they spend their hard earned cash.

We could book whatever we wanted on other cruise lines, but at the moment,  love the product we buy on Cunard. Other folk could book what we do but prefer not to. Horses for courses and all that.

Luckily, we're all different and also how lucky we are we can debate this subject on a book it or leave it basis.

I won't say more.

Why I made the  “masses” comment is because I dont think that most people want the formality, and also i think most people do not place alot of importance on fine food and large accommodations. This can be evidenced by many of those claiming they can find “ cheaper” on this thread. I believe that we all have different standards, priorities and this is the reason why so many different options are available to us all. I for one would never travel on P&O, but some people love it. Most would find spending £15k on a week long cruise for two incomprehensible, neither is wrong. Like you say Victoria horses for courses.

17 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Why I made the  “masses” comment is because I dont think that most people want the formality, and also i think most people do not place alot of importance on fine food and large accommodations. This can be evidenced by many of those claiming they can find “ cheaper” on this thread. I believe that we all have different standards, priorities and this is the reason why so many different options are available to us all. I for one would never travel on P&O, but some people love it. Most would find spending £15k on a week long cruise for two incomprehensible, neither is wrong. Like you say Victoria horses for courses.

My apologies. I read it as a bit elitist so am pleased I was incorrect. 🙂

35 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Dont know when you last cruised on Cunard but in November we were in PG on QE and since the change of dress code, which has been discussed at length on CC, I noticed already a substantial decline in what gentlemen were wearing on what they now call Smart Attire compared to in the past when jackets were required. Many wore just shirt and trousers and even those that wore a jacket and no tie once they got to their tables many took them off and put them on the back of the chair. Sadly I think what made Cunard special is now on the decline.

1 hour ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Windsurf, ok, i looked at a random sept QG 7 day cruise in Q1 which was £5600, if i were to go on SB cruise in a verandah cabin for a week, i would on some med sailings be looking at £4500-5000 for a week. I usually take a penthouse which costs us £14k, but a full suite would be considerably more than that. Obviously, the longer the cruise the cheaper it gets, but i am just basing this on a week in the med. 

majortom, as for the food, yes it is as good but you dont get to have what you want, only what is on the menu generally, and like i say you would be in a very mediocre cabin compared to a q1 for the same money.

Clearly Cunard does not suit, as I have said previously, QG isn’t meant to appeal to the masses.

Just looked at a few Cunard one week cruises, can't find any q1s at £5k per person most are over 6 to 7k  , which would be £12 to 14k for a week for 2 in cabin not 5k . If you can get me a q1 cabin for 5k please accept the job as my travel agent  anytime..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just looked at a few Cunard one week cruises, can't find any q1s at £5k per person most are over 6 to 7k  , which would be £12 to14k for a week for 2 in cabin not 5k . If you can get me a q1 cabin for 5k please accept the job as my travel agent  anytime..

There really is no need for snarky comments, i hate to tell you but I can find plenty of q1/2 cabins for £5-5600 as i quoted, for sept this year. Clearly you are not looking in the right places!! Obviously, my prices are ALL per person, it would be pretty ridiculous not quoting like for like now wouldn’t it? I have never had an agent quote anything but a fare per person. As for a q1 fare for £2500 ppn i have had one of those too!! 

22 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

There really is no need for snarky comments, i hate to tell you but I can find plenty of q1/2 cabins for £5-5600 as i quoted, for sept this year. Clearly you are not looking in the right places!! Obviously, my prices are ALL per person, it would be pretty ridiculous not quoting like for like now wouldn’t it? I have never had an agent quote anything but a fare per person. As for a q1 fare for £2500 ppn i have had one of those too!! 

Without wishing to stir the pot too much, as we have  a few QE and QV 2s under our belt and have the top two booked for future cruises, I  have to admit Tilly, we have yet to book a 2 for  the price you quoted, assuming for a week,, broken down to pppn,  You have been very lucky at the point of booking and I am quite envious. 🙂 It shows, good prices are to be had.

I know some Med cruises and Canary Island trips are cheaper, but Windsurfer boy has a point on many itineraries.

I think we will all have to agree to disagree and look out for the ''bargains'' if the itineraries suit.🙂

Edited by Victoria2

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Without wishing to stir the pot too much, as we have  a few QE and QV 2s under our belt and have the top two booked for future cruises, I  have to admit Tilly, we have yet to book a 2 for anywhere  near the price you quoted, assuming for a week,, broken down to pppn,  You have been very lucky at the point of booking and I am quite envious. 🙂 It shows, good prices are to be had.

I know some Med cruises and Canary Island trips are cheaper, but Windsurfer boy has a point on many itineraries.

I think we will all have to agree to disagree and look out for the ''bargains'' if the itineraries suit.🙂

Yes, Victoria these are Mediterranean fly cruises, all one week duration, and i am comparing them to lux lines med fly cruises, so it is like for like.

we are fortunate to have an excellent agent, and i would say will never get the £5k price for two ever again.!

17 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Yes, Victoria these are Mediterranean fly cruises, all one week duration, and i am comparing them to lux lines med fly cruises, so it is like for like.

we are fortunate to have an excellent agent, and i would say will never get the £5k price for two ever again.!

As do we but as we have no desire to book anything which involves European airports I guess we'll be missing out on the goodies.🙂

Enjoy

Supply and demand. Quite simple- no offence but  - if you do not like the current prices, do not book. Everyone has a different price point as to what they deem an acceptable price to pay. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

My reply was in response to a very selective use of numbers. You quoted £14000 for a seabourn penthouse, which is clearly a per cabin price for  a week , as they are circa $8600pp a week, or 6600 pounds.. then compared it to an absolute bargin price of £5600 for a Q1 which I assumed was similiary  a per cabin price. Implying that a penthouse price  is 250% of a q1, that the (so called) premium lines are vastly more expensive than QG

You can get a princess grill sized suite on Seabourn or Silversea for the price of a Q5/6 or a very decent sized suite  penthouse equivalent  for a  Q1 or slightly less as most q1 average £7000 pp week

All I am saying is queens grill prices are approaching Silversea and Seabourn,  which they never  used to be. People have there own reasons for which line they choose. 

6 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

My reply was in response to a very selective use of numbers. You quoted £14000 for a seabourn penthouse, which is clearly a per cabin price for  a week , as they are circa $8600pp a week, or 6600 pounds.. then compared it to an absolute bargin price of £5600 for a Q1 which I assumed was similiary  a per cabin price. Implying that a penthouse price  is 250% of a q1, that the (so called) premium lines are vastly more expensive than QG

You can get a princess grill sized suite on Seabourn or Silversea for the price of a Q5/6 or a very decent sized suite  penthouse equivalent  for a  Q1 or slightly less as most q1 average £7000 pp week

All I am saying is queens grill prices are approaching Silversea and Seabourn,  which they never  used to be. People have there own reasons for which line they choose. 

If you had read my comment, i said that i take a penthouse which costs me  £14k plus, BUT a full sized suite ( ie one comparable to a Q1) would be considerably MORE than that. A penthouse on Seabourn is not a large room or in any way comparable to a Q1. For something comparable I would be looking at £10kppn (£20k). Have you actually been in any of the seabourn suites? You need to be looking at the ws grade wintergarden suites to compare to a Q1. Your comparisons are not correct, as i say you can only compare like for like. Nevermind, each to his own.

21 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

If you had read my comment, i said that i take a penthouse which costs me  £14k plus, BUT a full sized suite ( ie one comparable to a Q1) would be considerably MORE than that. A penthouse on Seabourn is not a large room or in any way comparable to a Q1. For something comparable I would be looking at £10kppn (£20k). Have you actually been in any of the seabourn suites? You need to be looking at the ws grade wintergarden suites to compare to a Q1. Your comparisons are not correct, as i say you can only compare like for like. Nevermind, each to his own.

Not 14k per perdon

Edited by Windsurfboy

52 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not 14k per perdon

Does it really matter?

You think QG prices are comparable to other perceived more luxurious lines, Tilly disagrees and most of us who choose to continue with QG couldn't care less what other lines charge as it's our choice to continue booking with the cruise line we love.

Book with Cunard, or book with another cruise line but  keep trying to compare gets us nowhere as all lines have their differences.

Let's just agree, to disagree. 🙂