Premium Internet Package

Mahogany

I will be boarding Odyssey in 3 weeks.

Can someone tell me the price of the premium internet package? I know it is based on the number of days, and I think you can sign up anytime through the end of the cruise.  A bit of a pain to have to log off on one device in order to use another. Regent allows 4 devices 😁So, if someone knows the approximate cost/day, I'd appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Regent allows 4 devices 😁So, if someone knows the approximate cost/day, I'd appreciate it.

My understanding is that Regent only allows 4 devices if you are in a Concierge or above suite or have reached a certain status. Ordinary suites with insufficient status level get similar to basic package as you do on Seabourn unless you pay to upgrade. 

One of the reasons we are taking a Penthouse next year when we try Regent for the first time.

I can't help you with pricing as we won't sail with Seabourn again until July.

Edited by frantic36

When Seabourn announced the change to free basic Internet last summer, it was $20/day to upgrade to the higher-level service. I thought it was higher than that on our recent cruise, but I didn't need it and didn't purchase, so I don't recall. (Keep in mind it is one device per person at a time so it's really two per suite.)

I will say after two cruises with this system in place, while it's slightly annoying to have to switch between devices, it's actually quite quick and simple. I use an iPhone and a laptop on a cruise, and switch back and forth several times most days. It takes about 5 seconds; the key is that you don't have to log off one device to begin using another: pick up the second device, click Connect in Seabourn Source, it will tell you another device is connected and ask if you want to disconnect the other device to use this one, and one click switches which device is online. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that explanation on switching, cruiseej.  That makes it simpler and I think I'll just use the Surf as provided.  We were in a Penthouse last fall so didn't have to think about it.  The phone use is sort of critical due to using it for excursion tickets, but I like a bigger screen for reading e.g. my iPad.  I wouldn't mind the $20/day for a short cruise but it gets pricey for a longer one.

Thanks for the comments. You're right, it can get pricey since I'll be on a 33-day voyage. But I believe I could try without and then later on select the Surf package which would have to be for the duration of the cruise. I'm glad to learn it's not as onerous as I thought to switch devices. I travel solo with 2 devices but sounds like you need to keep a device with you at all times to access daily activities. Are they still printing the daily schedule?

And apologies for Regent comment: I guess my status onboard entitles me to 4.

33 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

sounds like you need to keep a device with you at all times to access daily activities. Are they still printing the daily schedule?

Sadly, there was no printed Herald on our cruise a month ago. :classic_sad: While I understand the savings in paper, printing and distribution, we are very disappointed by this change. The data on the Seabourn Source app isn't organized as well as the simple, printed schedule in the printed Herald, but you can figure things out. The bigger issue for us is that these were always great documentation of our cruises. We have no printed record of the ports we were in, the names of guest lecturers and performers and senior officers (along with no record of our excursions since there are no longer tour tickets).

I would love to see them default to no printed version, but offer a printed copy to anyone who requests one in their guest preferences. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Sadly, there was no printed Herald on our cruise a month ago. :classic_sad: While I understand the savings in paper, printing and distribution, we are very disappointed by this change. The data on the Seabourn Source app isn't organized as well as the simple, printed schedule in the printed Herald, but you can figure things out. The bigger issue for us is that these were always great documentation of our cruises. We have no printed record of the ports we were in, the names of guest lecturers and performers and senior officers (along with no record of our excursions since there are no longer tour tickets).

I would love to see them default to no printed version, but offer a printed copy to anyone who requests one in their guest preferences. 

We are Crystal refugees considering our first Seabourn cruise this summer on the Odyssey.  Are you saying that Seabourn does not provide daily printed schedules of activities and you have to rely on electronic versions?  I don't think I would like that.  

There does appear to be a corporate assumption that everyone has such a device and can access faecesbook and twitter et al . I reluctantly purchased a smartphone... the cheapest I could find. I have found a novel useful it ... For telephone calls ... I struggle to us it as a reader ... age related bad eyes. Paper for me please.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jssabs said:

Are you saying that Seabourn does not provide daily printed schedules of activities and you have to rely on electronic versions? 

On our cruise one month ago, that was the case. But I should note that most (but not all) of the information is also available on the TV system.

We were on the Odyssey in September, and were told that when cruising re-started in July, they re-started without printed Heralds, but customer complaints led to them reversing course. So we had printed Heralds on that cruise, and I expected the same when we re-boarded Odyssey in late February. But apparently there had been another reversal. It wasn't a big enough issue for me to pursue it while onboard. (I wonder, if I had asked, whether I could have received a printed version.) But I did note in our post-cruise survey that I found it very disappointing. 

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I would be very unhappy if I had to rely on electronics and TV to view daily activities.  If no daily printed activities schedules are available this would be a BIG con for me as to Seabourn as my go to cruise line.  Hopefully,  Seabourn monitors this board and will realize that there are passengers who don't want to do everything electronically.  Many utilities and other vendors have stopped sending paper bills and will require you to view your bill on line. I insist on paper bills or I change vendors.