Trans-Atlantic QEII or QMII ?

mek

If you have the chance to travel on QE2 and have not done so, that is my choice. You will have years to try QM2, but QE2 can't last forever, no matter how much they spend on her upkeep. Tea in the original Queens Room, darts, dancing, karioke, lunch in the lido, walking the decks and corridors with so much history... Get out there and ENJOY !!

My personal preference is for QE2... She has a certain level of charm that a brand new ship like QM2 simply can't. QE2 is not the newest or flashiest ship out there but she fits like a comfortable old shoe. She just feels "right".

Comparing the two is like comparing a vintage Bentley from the 1960s with a brand new one from the 2000s. The new car will be "better" in just about every objective sense but the old one has a charm that no new car could match. On the other hand, some would point the new one has a navigation system while the old one has a map!

So really it does not come down to which is the better ship, it is purely a matter of personal taste. Most people would strongly prefer one or the other - but it's impossible without knowing you to know which you'd prefer.

For a trans-Atlantic crossing, which ship do you prefer and why? I'll be doing an inside or outside, so the Grills aren't an issue.

There is only one answer : QE2. She will not be with us for much longer and probably only has half a dozen crossings to go.

To answer why, it is hard to say but you will know once you have done it! Like Doug says, you could not build a Gothic cathederal using modern building codes. QE2 is built the old way, QM2 is just a big modern passenger ship! QE2 has a "following" of real enthusiasts and fans, people who look upon the ship as their home. QM2 will take a few years for this to develop, if it ever does.

Have a look at my vacation pics link for more words on the ships....

There can only be one answer.

QE2.

She is special. Like Concorde, she represents Britain in a way that none of these modern ships or planes can.

A crossing on QE2 is a life affirming experience. Sell your grandmother if necessary.

I have done three crossings (and four cruises) on the QE2. Also, I did a cruise on the QM2 in 2004. I totally agree with the posts above. The QM2 will be around for years, but the QE2's days are numbered. A crossing on the QE2 is an incredible travel experience. The ship has a sense of history and style that is not present aboard any other ship sailing today.

QE2. You'll regret it if you don't, even with the abestos issues.

Asbestos issues? The only (potential) asbestos issues might be encountered if the QE2 heads to the breakers - there are no 'issues' now.

Another vote unequivocally for the QE2.

Peter

Definitely go with QE2 for all of the above reasons. Go with an open mind that the surroundings may be "lacking" by mega ship standards. You won't regret it. I've gone twice now and the second time was even better than the first.

Archived