No check in until 21 days pre-cruise?

Named-Tawny

Hey folks!

So I'm now 119 days from my cruise (Greenland and Iceland out of Reykjavik!) and starting to get things ready.  I saw that they aren't doing dinner reservations yet which, weird but hopefully soon.

But what really threw me was that when I try to do online check-in, it tells me that it's only available 21 days pre-cruise or less.  Does anybody know when that changed - and more importantly, why?

It seems really unusual. 

Check in is now 21 days from sailing. Not sure when that changed, as this is our first NCL cruise post-COVID.

As for dining reservations, there are other posts that mention that cruises from European ports will not allow dining reservations to be booked before boarding. Not sure why. YMMV. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Hey folks!

So I'm now 119 days from my cruise (Greenland and Iceland out of Reykjavik!) and starting to get things ready.  I saw that they aren't doing dinner reservations yet which, weird but hopefully soon.

But what really threw me was that when I try to do online check-in, it tells me that it's only available 21 days pre-cruise or less.  Does anybody know when that changed - and more importantly, why?

It seems really unusual. 

Part of the online check-in process is reviewing and accepting the current health requirements and onboard protocols. These days it seems sensible to wait until three weeks prior to sail date since they keep evolving, and I am assuming that's NCL reasoning for the 21-day check in period.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Part of the online check-in process is reviewing and accepting the current health requirements and onboard protocols. These days it seems sensible to wait until three weeks prior to sail date since they keep evolving, and I am assuming that's NCL reasoning for the 21-day check in period.

That makes sense, thanks.  I wonder if they'll have a separate confirmation of passport # and etc since we're having NCL book our flights.

It changed somewhere from when I checked in for my October Jade cruise and November Bliss cruise. No notice...I thought I was doing something wrong but then others told me of the change.  It's really not too bad; just have all of your docs handy and you can do it in a few minutes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

That makes sense, thanks.  I wonder if they'll have a separate confirmation of passport # and etc since we're having NCL book our flights.

Once you are able to do the check in, do so on the first day to get it done. It the same as before. But they added at least 2 different things, which are: you need to upload a picture of yourself or use your laptop/computer camera and the other one is to watch the muster drill video. The phone and email - you need to confirm them in order to continue the process.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pitzel said:

As for dining reservations, there are other posts that mention that cruises from European ports will not allow dining reservations to be booked before boarding. Not sure why. YMMV. 

Yes, there are currently no reservations available on European cruises. We are 19 days out and nothing yet. I don’t expect that to change for us, but the OP should keep looking just in case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

Once you are able to do the check in, do so on the first day to get it done. It the same as before. But they added at least 2 different things, which are: you need to upload a picture of yourself or use your laptop/computer camera and the other one is to watch the muster drill video. The phone and email - you need to confirm them in order to continue the process.

What is the process for a couple sailing? Can both watch the video? Can documents for both be uploaded? Or, do we need to do this separately?

20 minutes ago, Sixtytwo said:

What is the process for a couple sailing? Can both watch the video? Can documents for both be uploaded? Or, do we need to do this separately?

You each have your own profile when filling out the e-docs. Each person watches the video, puts-a-picture-in-however-you-decide-to-do-it (there have been a lot of problems with the photos!), and fixes any problems that need fixing. But it is a separate process for each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiserbear55 said:

puts-a-picture-in-however-you-decide-to-do-it (there have been a lot of problems with the photos!),

If the photo isn't satisfactory, they'll take another one at the cruise terminal, when you check in for boarding.

• Like 2