Has NCL Changed Amenities on Non-Haven Suites Recently?

lgdesign

There's been a recent thread about the Joy where it now seems that non-Haven suites no longer get breakfast and lunches in a specialty restaurant.

Has anyone had any experience with this being the case on other ships? 

18 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@lgdesign

Did the thread you quoted indicate that it was due to Covid?   Was it temporarily stopped like the other stops, no dining with officers, no free ship tour, no officers at a M&G etc?

It's being discussed here re: the Joy.

Edited by lgdesign

9 minutes ago, davencl said:

It's my understanding those amenities never existed on the other ships, only the Joy.

That has not been my experience in the past... 

I've stayed in 2-bedroom non-Haven suites on the Jewel class ships and always had breakfast/lunch in Moderno or Cagneys as one of the perks for the cabin.  If they're going to start removing these privileges (as they seem to have done on the Joy),  I'd like to know before ever booking one of them again.

Edited by lgdesign

3 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

That has not been my experience in the past... 

I've stayed in 2-bedroom non-Haven suites on the Jewel class ships and always had breakfast/lunch in Moderno or Cagneys as one of the perks fo the cabin.  If they're going to start removing these privileges (as they seem to ahave done on the Joy),  I'd like to know before ever booking one of them again.

I guess I'm thinking about what's now called a club balcony suite.   Not really a suite...

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

@davencl

It is normal for suite guests to be able to eat breakfast and lunch in one of the Specialty restaurants.   I have done it many times both as a suite guest and a VIP

Exactly... that's why I would want to know if that's disappearing. 

If I had booked a non-Haven suite on the Joy and was told I would get those breakfast/lunch perks at the time of booking only to see them disappear later, I'd be annoyed too. 

Just wondering what people who have sailed recently have experienced in the 2-bed and penthouse non-Haven suites on various ships that in the past had those breakfast/lunch perks. 

when you book a "suite" either haven or non haven, when you check ncl website for that particular cabin it will indicate the amenities ie. butler, concierge etc. as long as it's a suite. we are booked in the suites on the star as it has no haven complex, but the goodies are still included. unfortunately, the "club balcony suites" are not considered under the category "suite" they are merely renamed mid ship mini suites, with a few extra goodies thrown in. however, the ability to have breakfast or lunch in the specialty restaurants (usually cagney's or moderno) isnt one o f them. sorry, hope youre not too disappointed,

and you enjoy your cruise neverheless!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, complawyer said:

when you book a "suite" either haven or non haven, when you check ncl website for that particular cabin it will indicate the amenities ie. butler, concierge etc. as long as it's a suite. we are booked in the suites on the star as it has no haven complex, but the goodies are still included. unfortunately, the "club balcony suites" are not considered under the category "suite" they are merely renamed mid ship mini suites, with a few extra goodies thrown in. however, the ability to have breakfast or lunch in the specialty restaurants (usually cagney's or moderno) isnt one o f them. sorry, hope youre not too disappointed,

and you enjoy your cruise neverheless!

But, when susique and I booked our non Haven Suite on the Joy, all of those extra amenities were included as they were on the NCL website when we booked.  Our issue is that they were taken away without any notice from NCL.   This is the concern of lgdesign.  

Edited by vacation44
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, davencl said:

I guess I'm thinking about what's now called a club balcony suite.   Not really a suite...

I've NEVER understood why NCL would use the term "suite" for any category that doesn't get, well, the perks of... a suite!

Thinking here of "mini-suites" in the past, especially.

They should have called those something like "Deluxe Balcony", or anything else without the word "suite".  It just sets up possible expectations (and understandable expectations).

GC

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I've NEVER understood why NCL would use the term "suite" for any category that doesn't get, well, the perks of... a suite!

Thinking here of "mini-suites" in the past, especially.

They should have called those something like "Deluxe Balcony", or anything else without the word "suite".  It just sets up possible expectations (and understandable expectations).

GC

Revenue generating deception.  It will only get worse with NCL being so cash poor.

while i'm not an ncl cheerleader, sorry, it wasnt any type of deception. if you logged onto the site and checked on the cabin descriptions, you would have immediately known that the new club balcony suites were merely renamed mini suites with a few modifications, and a few minimal goodies thrown in.

anyone trying to book a cabin, regardless if it's inside, solo, or all the way to up to the garden suites, needs to carefully read what's being offered and then make their  decision.  only haven cabins, and those specifically marked "suites" get the goodies.  

caveat emptor! truer words were never spoken.

9 minutes ago, complawyer said:

anyone trying to book a cabin, regardless if it's inside, solo, or all the way to up to the garden suites, needs to carefully read what's being offered and then make their  decision.  only haven cabins, and those specifically marked "suites" get the goodies.  

While I do agree with this statement,  in our case as well as susique, the "goodies" were included and then taken away.

what goodies were you offered originally, and what category cabin did you book. i dont like to post an opinion unless i'm absolutely sure of my answer (although more than a few times i've been wrong... my bad) but i checked on the joy (although ive never had the pleasure of sailing on her, and in the descriptions of both "suites" and haven suites, it does not mention either butler service or concierge.

if this is truly the case, i wouldnt ever consider booking on the joy,as having a 24 on call butler is one of the reasons i try and book a haven, or a suite if there is no haven complex.  most of the ncl ships i have looked at, specifically include butler/concierge service in the cabin description.

consequently, if i thought i was paying for something i wasnt going to get, i would think twice about booking.  i know i'd be massively p**sed if i booked a suite and didnt get the butler or the opportunity to eat breakfast and/or lunch in the designated restaurants .

if i'm looking to book a club mini suite, my expectations are of course lowered. i just expect a nice, clean cabin with a balcony that is slightly larger than a regular balcony cabin.

i dont mean to sound like a diva or some jerk with a overblown sense of entitlement, i just take a lot of time and do some research as to what exactly i'm getting

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

what goodies were you offered originally, and what category cabin did you book. i dont like to post an opinion unless i'm absolutely sure of my answer (although more than a few times i've been wrong... my bad) but i checked on the joy (although ive never had the pleasure of sailing on her, and in the descriptions of both "suites" and haven suites, it does not mention either butler service or concierge.

if this is truly the case, i wouldnt ever consider booking on the joy,as having a 24 on call butler is one of the reasons i try and book a haven, or a suite if there is no haven complex.  most of the ncl ships i have looked at, specifically include butler/concierge service in the cabin description.

consequently, if i thought i was paying for something i wasnt going to get, i would think twice about booking.  i know i'd be massively p**sed if i booked a suite and didnt get the butler or the opportunity to eat breakfast and/or lunch in the designated restaurants .

if i'm looking to book a club mini suite, my expectations are of course lowered. i just expect a nice, clean cabin with a balcony that is slightly larger than a regular balcony cabin.

i dont mean to sound like a diva or some jerk with a overblown sense of entitlement, i just take a lot of time and do some research as to what exactly i'm getting

As did vacation44 and I did.  Under the description on the booking site it listed everything a haven suite gets except haven access.  It listed everything a "suite" on the smaller ships get.  It was there when I booked it in July for a January sailing and it was still there until December.  Multiple phone calls I made to agents verified it.  When I finally called the pre-concierge to request items I was told the website was wrong and they thanked me for notifying them of their error.  For that they gave me a mattress pad for my sister.  I think you keep getting these suites mixed up with club balcony suites.  They are not that category.  They are listed as SC and SP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, complawyer said:

while i'm not an ncl cheerleader, sorry, it wasnt any type of deception. if you logged onto the site and checked on the cabin descriptions, you would have immediately known that the new club balcony suites were merely renamed mini suites with a few modifications, and a few minimal goodies thrown in.

The wording is meant to be deceptive, plain and simple.

And I'm just trying to find out... based on the recent situation described by those who booked genuine "non-Haven" suites (NOT the renamed mini-suites/club suites) on the Joy... whether the "breakfast/lunch in a specialty dining venue" has been removed as non-Haven suite perk fleet wide... or just on the Joy.

Has anyone who sailed in recent weeks on ships other than the Joy in a "real" non-Haven suite (like a 2 bedroom or penthouse suite) let us know what they experienced?

19 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

And I'm just trying to find out... based on the recent situation described by those who booked genuine "non-Haven" suites (NOT the renamed mini-suites/club suites) on the Joy... whether the "breakfast/lunch in a specialty dining venue" has been removed as non-Haven suite perk fleet wide... or just on the Joy.

Has anyone who sailed in recent weeks on ships other than the Joy in a "real" non-Haven suite (like a 2 bedroom or penthouse suite) let us know what they experienced?

Please contact the pre-concierge office via email and ask them.  I am sure they have answered numerous times.  It was verified by Katy Byrd office (I think that is her name).  They were very speedy with us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

This threads would be a lot clearer if people stopped mentioning club suites. They are totally off topic and the mention of them is causing confusion.

I totally agree with you.  As simple look at the cabin category of the Joy will show them what we are discussing.