Opinion on Alaska Juneau excursion?

phabric

I am asking on Princess thread as others might have taken these excursions vs Port of Call where people are looking for tours.

Princess excursion for Juneau -

1)  Discovery Recommended - Local Connections : Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest Created by The Allen Family - 4 hours - 8:30am-12:30pm

PLUS a separate excursion for -

Alaska Salmon Bake - 1.5  hours - 5:30pm-7:00pm

OR

2) Animal Planet - Whale Watching & Alaska Salmon Bake - 5 hours - 10:45am-3:45pm

#2 is $30 cheaper but the cost doesn't matter.

I think #1 would be a smaller boat?

Any opinions on which excursion to take?

You absolutely cannot beat Harv & Marv Whale Watching.  They are the best by far.  Cheaper than Princess and you'll be on a small boat with only a few folks instead of a barge jammed to the railings with people. Also it's a local biz and that's a plus.

23 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

You absolutely cannot beat Harv & Marv Whale Watching.  They are the best by far.  Cheaper than Princess and you'll be on a small boat with only a few folks instead of a barge jammed to the railings with people. Also it's a local biz and that's a plus.

Harv and Marv no longer own "Harv and Marv" however the last time I went it was still the same.  Also their daughter has her own whale watching business:

https://jayleensalaska.com/

16 minutes ago, phabric said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  Their  boat only holds 1-6 passengers.  My travel partner does not like very small boats so I don’t their boat would do.

Take a look at Juneau Whale Watch. We’ve been out with Harv n Marv as well as Jayleen and find JWW a better fit for us.  Their boat is fast and holds about 45 folks, smaller than the Allen Marine boats that hold over 100 and are booked through the ship. The boat is stable and there was plenty of room for viewing at the rail from two decks. We’re using them again next month.

https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

Take a look at Juneau Whale Watch. We’ve been out with Harv n Marv as well as Jayleen and find JWW a better fit for us.  Their boat is fast and holds about 45 folks, smaller than the Allen Marine boats that hold over 100 and are booked through the ship. The boat is stable and there was plenty of room for viewing at the rail from two decks. We’re using them again next month.

https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com

I agree!  We whale watched w/JWW last Sept. & it was very good (saw my first orca!).  The boat was comfortable.  I have mobility issues & the crew was very helpful. 

Definitely whale watch in Juneau!

45 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

I agree!  We whale watched w/JWW last Sept. & it was very good (saw my first orca!).  The boat was comfortable.  I have mobility issues & the crew was very helpful. 

Definitely whale watch in Juneau!

Can you guess roughly how many people were on your boat with you? 

4 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Another vote for Harv & Marv

17 minutes ago, phabric said:

Can you guess roughly how many people were on your boat with you? 

We were in Juneau last year (Sept. 12-19) & were the only ship in port.  There were 25-30 (?) people on our whale watch.  There was another small boat out too.  Still good viewing.