February 14, 2023 cruise. When to book air.

eddieg07410

We are taking a 30 day cruise from New Zealand to Bali in February of 2023. Viking charges about 18,000 a couple for business class. Rates have just come out and Singapore Airlines came out with a rate of about 12,200 about a week ago. That rate is now 200 dollars higher now. We are unsure as to whether to book now or wait closer to the cruise. Other airlines seem to be charging closer to the 18,000 that Viking is charging. We are also unsure as to whether to get cancelation insurance as Singapore Airlines allows free flight exchange. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you researched to determine what fare you are comfortable paying based on historical levels?

Are the fares cited in your post refundable or non-refundable?

If refundable, grab it and you can always cancel and re-book.

Maybe a TA can assist in this as well, to be safe?

Let us know your decision(s)...

bon voyage

32 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Have you researched to determine what fare you are comfortable paying based on historical levels?

Are the fares cited in your post refundable or non-refundable?

If refundable, grab it and you can always cancel and re-book.

Maybe a TA can assist in this as well, to be safe?

Let us know your decision(s)...

bon voyage

The fares are not refundable but they can be altered. In other words we can book a different flight for a different vacation. Just can't get our money back. The problem with judging fare prices is there really is no reference point for post covid flights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You book when you are comfortable with the fare, after (hopefully) monitoring the types of prices you are seeing, even before the actual flights come available. 

There is NO magic time to book airfares. If I were flying in Feb 2023, good chance I would already have booked.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, there's no consistent, magic formula for determining airfare. It's just a matter of booking at a rate you feel is right, and not looking back unless you can change the fare (which, in this case, you can't). I will say, however, that $6000 per ticket for business class from (presumably) US to New Zealand and Indonesia to US sounds pretty damn good to me. I travel those kinds of routes frequently in business class and I would probably jump at a $6000 roundtrip fare like that. 

I do not have any knowledge of cancellation insurance with Singapore (I rarely fly Singapore), but look in to what your credit card may offer.

One last thought - look too in to United codeshares and see if they're similarly priced. United may very well put you on the same Singapore flights (they're partners), but that way if you do need to cancel, your money (I believe) lives with United, not Singapore...and assuming you're near Newark, a United hub, that may be beneficial. Just an idea to at least look at. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

The fares are not refundable but they can be altered. In other words we can book a different flight for a different vacation. Just can't get our money back. The problem with judging fare prices is there really is no reference point for post covid flights.

Is this relevant to your comment about not needing travel insurance?

If the trip is cancelled (Covid or anything else), would you still have a use for credit on Singapore airlines?

And would there be a time limit on that credit?

GC