Oosterdam Europe 2022 will sail from Trieste

VMax1700

Everyone should check the latest email from HAL. Wednesday evening we received an email from HAL with a revised Cruise Details/Cruise Confirmation for our September 28 sailing. It still shows a 7:00 pm sail away and the complimentary transfer from both Marco Polo Airport - and Tronchetto.

The confirmation form to be submitted offers a choice of 9:00 am or 11:00am from both locations, or the ability to decline the transfer. It has a due date of May 15, 2022. If there is no response by the passenger HAL will assume that the Marco Polo transfer is their choice.

Edited by Heartgrove

11 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Everyone should check the latest email from HAL. Wednesday evening we received an email from HAL with a revised Cruise Details/Cruise Confirmation for our September 28 sailing. It still shows a 7:00 pm sail away and the complimentary transfer from both Marco Polo Airport - and Tronchetto.

The confirmation form to be submitted offers a choice of 9:00 am or 11:00am from both locations, or the ability to decline the transfer. It has a due date of May 15, 2022. If there is no response by the passenger HAL will assume that the Marco Polo transfer is their choice.

We got the email and even if you are doing a private transfer like we are doing you still should log on and check the box that says you do not need a transfer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Maryanncc said:

Am I understanding correctly that only FFP2 masks may be worn on public transit in Venice?

If you are in essence asking about using N95 masks in Venice, it appears that N95 masks are not certified for use in Europe.

Both styles of masks (FFP2 and N95) have the certification printed on them. I am not sure how they enforce mask wearing.

• 7 months later...

I just ran across this topic as I'm not on this cruise.  We were in Venice back in the 2010's (can't find the exact date).  We docked in Venice, but I think the following year or so, Venice disallowed large cruise ships which then had to dock on the mainland.  So this has been going on for quite awhile.

Here's an article I just found online:  https://www.tripsavvy.com/venice-cruise-ship-ban-5193260. The ban started in 2019. 

"

By   
Updated on 07/21/21

Fact checked by 

By 

STEFANIE WALDEK

Updated on 07/21/21

Fact checked by 

JILLIAN DARA

Buena Vista Images / Getty Images

In 2019, UNESCO warned that Venice could be irrevocably damaged if the local government refused to ban large cruise ships from the centrally located San Marco basin, the San Marco canal, and the Giudecca canal. The organization eventually threatened to add the coastal city to its blacklist of endangered World Heritage Sites. Fortunately for Venice's UNESCO status, the government has finally taken action.

After years of protests by environmental and cultural conservation groups, Venice will officially ban large cruise ships—those longer than 590 feet and heavier than 25,000 tons—beginning Aug. 1. But the move is a largely controversial one.

Venice is one of the most touristed cities in Italy, with some 1.5 million passengers arriving by some 400 cruise ships each year (before the pandemic, that is). One of the arguments for the ban is that these large ships could potentially damage the city's fragile ecosystem of canals. Another is that the ships contribute greatly to overtourism—Venice's pedestrian streets along the canals are often utterly mobbed by tourists.

On the opposite side of the aisle, local businesses are protesting the decision to ban the ships, saying they will suffer without the big crowds.

Ultimately, both proponents and opponents of the large cruise ship ban have flaws in their arguments.

Venice will still be open to cruise ships in general, but they will have to dock outside the city at less picturesque ports. The scenario is not unlike Rome's—cruise ships that add the Eternal City to their itineraries actually dock nearly 40 miles away in Civitavecchia. Cruise ships provide shuttles from the port to the Italian capital.

The issue right now is that there are no ports near Venice that are a good fit for large cruise ships. However, the Italian government has authorized the construction of temporary docks in nearby Marghera, a cargo port some 13 miles outside Venice, and a permanent dock elsewhere along the coast.

As such, Venice will still attract hoards of cruise ship tourists, which means that overtourism will likely still be a major problem. On the flip side, there will still be plenty of business to shops and restaurants. Plus, the legislation that includes the ban also provides government aid for affected businesses.

The only direct benefit of the large cruise ship ban is that Venice's ecosystem will get a much-needed break from the ships, which is a pretty strong reason to support the ban overall.

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Here's an article I just found online:  https://www.tripsavvy.com/venice-cruise-ship-ban-5193260. The ban started in 2019.

@BarbinMichActually that is not correct.  The "ban" was on and off several times, and only fully started in August 2021.  But even then there weren't a whole lot of ships going to Venice at that time due to covid; I don't believe HAL was affected at all in 2021.  If you google the following, you will clearly see the August 2021 start date:  venice cruise ship ban.  Note that the ban only prohibits ships from passing through the main canal in front of Saint Mark's square, and not entering the entire Venice Lagoon.  Some cruise lines, namely MSC, used the industrial port of Maghera within the lagoon but on the mainland last summer and shuttled people to the island via buses and tenders.

In the summer of 2022, HAL mainly used the port of Trieste, which is a 2-hour bus ride from Venice.  This worked out OK for our cruise; we spent a few days in Venice before the cruise and then were bused to Trieste where we embarked.  We also ended and overnighted in Trieste and spent a really nice day exploring that city, which is well worth a visit too.  I believe HAL did use Maghera for at least one cruise last summer.  I understand they are building a cruise terminal in Maghera to accommodate more ships much closer to the Venice island, but I don't know when that will open.

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

In the summer of 2022, HAL mainly used the port of Trieste, which is a 2-hour bus ride from Venice.  This worked out OK for our cruise; we spent a few days in Venice before the cruise and then were bused to Trieste where we embarked.  We also ended and overnighted in Trieste and spent a really nice day exploring that city, which is well worth a visit too.  I believe HAL did use Maghera for at least one cruise last summer.  I understand they are building a cruise terminal in Maghera to accommodate more ships much closer to the Venice island, but I don't know when that will open.

Our August 21 departure this year on the Oosterdam was from Trieste and returned to Maghera on Sept 4th. We enjoyed 3 days pre cruise in Venice and took a private car to Trieste. The 3 days pre-cruise was so crowded in Venice, and I hate to think how much worse it would have been with cruise ships docking in Venice. In Maghera passengers were bused to the old terminal on Venice Island to get luggage and go through the disembarkation process.

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

@BarbinMichActually that is not correct.  The "ban" was on and off several times, and only fully started in August 2021.  But even then there weren't a whole lot of ships going to Venice at that time due to covid; I don't believe HAL was affected at all in 2021. 

HAL sadly was affected in 2021, I was on the Eurodam is September, one of the first HAL sailings after the Venice ban was fully in effect. We were first told Marghera would be where we were bussed after processing at Venice terminal. It ended up not being ready in time and off to Trieste we went. Took the better part of a day with the processes being new to all involved and the COVID precautions etc - quite a nightmare really.  BUT on the upside the few days we tacked on independently in Venice before and after found very light crowds everywhere and perfect weather!