Oosterdam Europe 2022 will sail from Trieste

VMax1700

To reduce costs, I would certainly think that HAL would be using the same buses in both directions.  A bus takes disembarking passengers from Trieste to the Venice airport.  It then loads new passengers at the Venice airport and drives them back to Trieste to embark on their cruise. 

A charter bus company is going to give HAL a much better deal having it full of passengers in both directions, rather than running one-way with it empty in the other direction, which would mean HAL has to charter two buses for the same amount of people.  That is why I can't imagine the first bus leaving Venice for Trieste at 11AM; they will have to have buses coming to Venice from Trieste much earlier.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Torquer said:

That is why I can't imagine the first bus leaving Venice for Trieste at 11AM; they will have to have buses coming to Venice from Trieste much earlier.

That would be logical and the optimal use of time and vehicles.

However HAL and logic in one sentence is unusual.  They don't do 'joined up thinking'.

11 hours ago, Torquer said:

To reduce costs, I would certainly think that HAL would be using the same buses in both directions.  A bus takes disembarking passengers from Trieste to the Venice airport.  It then loads new passengers at the Venice airport and drives them back to Trieste to embark on their cruise. 

A charter bus company is going to give HAL a much better deal having it full of passengers in both directions, rather than running one-way with it empty in the other direction, which would mean HAL has to charter two buses for the same amount of people.  That is why I can't imagine the first bus leaving Venice for Trieste at 11AM; they will have to have buses coming to Venice from Trieste much earlier.

Or if the buses start in Trieste transporting departing passengers to the Venice airport after 8am then they would be available at 11am to take incoming passengers to the Triste cruise port for embarkation. 

Edited by terrydtx

For our cruise in June, they are offering transfers at 9am and 11am from both the arrivals area of Marco Polo Airport (VCE) or Outside the Tronchetto end of the People Mover (not the Pze Roma end!)

They are also offering transfers from Trieste to both locations at the end of the cruise.  Times to be notified onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

For our cruise in June, they are offering transfers at 9am and 11am from both the arrivals area of Marco Polo Airport (VCE) or Outside the Tronchetto end of the People Mover (not the Pze Roma end!)

They are also offering transfers from Trieste to both locations at the end of the cruise.  Times to be notified onboard.

Very interesting and pretty good news that you can get the transfers at the Venice island and not just the airport.  Is it correct that when embarking, you will still check in at Trieste, rather than the Venice cruise terminal which is right there where the transfer bus picks you up? 

However, I am shocked they are not giving you times for the transfers from Trieste back to VCE, until you are onboard the ship.  How are we supposed to know what flight time you can book out of VCE if we don't know how early the transfer will leave Trieste?

As another question, does anyone know if the private water taxis will take you to the Tronchetto end of the people mover?  I assume this will be cheaper than going all the way to VCE from a hotel on the island.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We were very happy to see we could book transport from Venice, though a little surprised that they only had 2 time frames. 

Times for the transfer back to be notified on board isn't very reassuring; we've got planes to catch!

Edited by Chrissy6299

7 hours ago, Torquer said:

As another question, does anyone know if the private water taxis will take you to the Tronchetto end of the people mover?

Route #2 Waterbus goes to Tronchetto and looking at google maps there are plenty of dockings at Mercato, so I would be relatively confident that a private water taxi could take you very close to the People Mover.  Ask the concierge in your hotel when you arrive.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Route #2 Waterbus goes to Tronchetto and looking at google maps there are plenty of dockings at Mercato, so I would be relatively confident that a private water taxi could take you very close to the People Mover.  Ask the concierge in your hotel when you arrive.

image.jpeg.7541f1472a3ba5daa4e9b7e7cb79e300.jpeg

OK, now I'm confused or panicking or possibly both !

Have received an email this morning confirming we will get complimentary transfers from Venice to Trieste .... it then asks me to complete a a web form to advise them of our transfer option preference (either airport or city centre) When I go to the form, the only time options it gives me is 9am or 11am.  As we don't get into Venice until 4.30pm, I'm wondering where do I stand on this ?  They also attached a new itinerary schedule which clearly states ...Transfer Airport to ship complimentary....  Anyone else got a similar email, if so what are they doing ?  I'm waiting for my TA to call me back hopefully able to clear it up.

Yes, received my confirmation from HA that complimentary buses will be leaving at  9 and 11 am…

we are staying near the airport so have decided on the 9am transfer…

Hope you work out transfer details with your TA.

Edited by Floyd and elayne

46 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

OK, now I'm confused or panicking or possibly both !

Have received an email this morning confirming we will get complimentary transfers from Venice to Trieste .... it then asks me to complete a a web form to advise them of our transfer option preference (either airport or city centre) When I go to the form, the only time options it gives me is 9am or 11am.  As we don't get into Venice until 4.30pm, I'm wondering where do I stand on this ?  They also attached a new itinerary schedule which clearly states ...Transfer Airport to ship complimentary....  Anyone else got a similar email, if so what are they doing ?  I'm waiting for my TA to call me back hopefully able to clear it up.

I think 4:30pm is way too late to fly into Venice on the day the ship departs. If your ship departs at 7:00pm like ours, you need to fly in earlier. It is almost 2 hours from Venice to Trieste by bus shuttle. 

• Like 1

Our flights were booked through HAL so they have sorted these times out, and so far there is no change and we sail on 20th May.  Hopefully I am thinking that the transfer should be waiting at Venice Airport as they realise this.... after all it is due to them we have to go from Trieste and put a couple of hours on our journey ..... poor hubby will be shattered, since his stroke his fatigue level isn't brilliant anyway, luckily we have our first day at sea so time to rest.    .....    still waiting for the TA to get back to me

We got the email as well with the now available shuttles from Venice Island.  We had already booked a private transfer from Venice to the ship, which I think we will keep. Just not wanting to be on a crowded bus with 40 or more strangers during the Covid protocols.

51 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We got the email as well with the now available shuttles from Venice Island.  We had already booked a private transfer from Venice to the ship, which I think we will keep. Just not wanting to be on a crowded bus with 40 or more strangers during the Covid protocols.

Good idea..

may I ask how much is your private transfer and whom did you use.

thank you,

Elayne

11 minutes ago, Floyd and elayne said:

Good idea..

may I ask how much is your private transfer and whom did you use.

thank you,

Elayne

We paid $433 total for 4 of us in our party. We used https://gowithguide.com/   We will be picked up at Piazzale Roma (the car parking lot on Venice island) at 9:30 and be in Trieste at the ship by 11:00am. They were recommended by our hotel.

Edited by terrydtx

4 minutes ago, jettaleea said:

Our HAL-booked flight arrives at 10:30am. I have very little hope of making an 11am shuttle but that's what we chose. Hopefully they will wait for everyone on the list, they usually do.

The 11:00am makes no sense, a lot of people will be on later morning flights and will not be able to make that time, more poor planning on HAL's part. It would make more sense to have staggered timed shuttles all morning into early afternoon.

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We paid $433 total for 4 of us in our party. We used https://gowithguide.com/   We will pe picked up at Piazzale Roma (the car parking lot on Venice island) at 9:30 and be in Trieste at the ship by 11:00am.

Thank you…sounds like something we might be doing too. At this time, we are 4 in our party….will now start my research.

Thank you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Floyd and elayne said:

Thank you…sounds like something we might be doing too. At this time, we are 4 in our party….will now start my research.

Thank you

You are welcome, after we booked our driver Daniel, reached out to us by email wanting to know if we had any special needs for the transfer which we do not but the fact he has contacted us was reassuring.  Good luck and have a great cruise.

19 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The 11:00am makes no sense, a lot of people will be on later morning flights and will not be able to make that time, more poor planning on HAL's part. It would make more sense to have staggered timed shuttles all morning into early afternoon.

Spoke to our TA, she thinks the actual email is bound to be generic for those that haven't booked flights through HAL.  She is sure that as we have HAL flights and they have said complimentary transfer, there will definitely be one regardless of the time. We are going in to see the TA next week so hopefully will clear things up properly.  Our flight lands 4.30, the sailing from Trieste has been put back to 11pm so no need for flight changes.  To be continued ........

37 minutes ago, Oldies123 said:

Spoke to our TA, she thinks the actual email is bound to be generic for those that haven't booked flights through HAL.  She is sure that as we have HAL flights and they have said complimentary transfer, there will definitely be one regardless of the time. We are going in to see the TA next week so hopefully will clear things up properly.  Our flight lands 4.30, the sailing from Trieste has been put back to 11pm so no need for flight changes.  To be continued ........

If the sailing has been pushed back to 11pm you are OK, our Aug 5th Oosterdam cruise was only pushed back from 5pm to 7pm.