Do GTY assignments and Upsells still start about 2 weeks out?

kangforpres

2 hours ago, lderochi said:

Looks like a lot of people took the Upsell on my May 15. There were plenty of Neptune Suites available when I called, 2 days later they were sold out. 

Good upsells to Neptunes sometimes go fast.  I have seen them last as few as 10 minutes!  You have to be quick or go home hungry!

1 hour ago, BlackJack2 said:

Booking our cruise through a big box store - Is there a HAL phone number to call for upsells?

Yes, the number is 1-888-628-8107 or 206-626-7381.

HOWEVER, the problem is that you have to be very lucky to time your call within the sale period.  Call too early and they will politely tell you "nothing open yet".  Call too late and the cabins can be taken (especially true of Neptune upsells, less so for verandahs).  As mentioned in my previous post, good Neptune offers can go in minutes, and very often within a day or two.

While it can be done, if you book through a big box store you basically give up the upsell game.

On 5/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, DaveOKC said:

Yes, the number is 1-888-628-8107 or 206-626-7381.

HOWEVER, the problem is that you have to be very lucky to time your call within the sale period.  Call too early and they will politely tell you "nothing open yet".  Call too late and the cabins can be taken (especially true of Neptune upsells, less so for verandahs).  As mentioned in my previous post, good Neptune offers can go in minutes, and very often within a day or two.

While it can be done, if you book through a big box store you basically give up the upsell game.

Thanks Dave!  

Hi, I'm new to HAL and cruising in general.  We would love to receive an upsell offer, we booked directly through HAL (on our own through the website) and were able to choose our room, which is right next to the bridge.  If we already have our room selected are we not likely to receive an upsell offer? 

2 hours ago, aniyafa said:

Hi, I'm new to HAL and cruising in general.  We would love to receive an upsell offer, we booked directly through HAL (on our own through the website) and were able to choose our room, which is right next to the bridge.  If we already have our room selected are we not likely to receive an upsell offer? 

Not necessarily.  I have gotten upsells both ways, If I have a guarantee or if I have picked my cabin.   If I book last minute or with a TA an upsell usually does not happen.  

Edited by liketraveling

3 hours ago, aniyafa said:

First, if you are happy with your cabin location (it seems that you are from your comments) then be sure to have your reservation marked DO NOT UPGRADE.  Otherwise, HAL can move you to a different location, normally within your general category, without your consent.  

Second, even if you do this you still receive upsell offers directly from HAL, to higher categories.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aniyafa said:

We have two cruises upcoming this month. I booked them booked directly on HAL's web site and have received upsell offers on both. We accepted one, moving from a verandah to a Neptune Suite for less than a third the difference in the published rates.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

We have two cruises upcoming this month. I booked them booked directly on HAL's web site and have received upsell offers on both. We accepted one, moving from a verandah to a Neptune Suite for less than a third the difference in the published rates.

A third is always my target for an upsell.  Have paid a bit more sometimes if I really want the deal for some reason.

10 minutes ago, Retired 07 said:

If it’s any of my business, I’m wondering how much money is involved in these upsell offers to go from veranda to suites. 

It depends.  Varies based on the lenght of the cruise, cost of the cabins, time of the year (holidays more), which class of ship and other factors.  I will tell you that I paid $800 pp to go from a Verandah to a Neptune on a Pinnacle class ship in March.  Not inexpensive, but we did jump three levels of cabins (Verandah to Vista to Signature to Neptune).

Week long Alaska sailing, it was $200 pp to go from Spa Verandah to Neptune. I’m not a regular cruiser, but I thought it was a good deal  and took it. They sold out of Neptune suites pretty quickly so I guess it was good. An upgrade to Signature Suite would have been $59 pp, plenty of those are still available. The email came 17 days before sailing. 

3 hours ago, lderochi said:

Week long Alaska sailing, it was $200 pp to go from Spa Verandah to Neptune. I’m not a regular cruiser, but I thought it was a good deal  and took it. They sold out of Neptune suites pretty quickly so I guess it was good. An upgrade to Signature Suite would have been $59 pp, plenty of those are still available. The email came 17 days before sailing. 

We paid $179 to go from a Signature to a Neptune on our 7 Day Southbound. We booked through an AMEX authorized TA. She emailed us the upsell offer.

11 hours ago, bartexas said:

We paid $179 to go from a Signature to a Neptune on our 7 Day Southbound. We booked through an AMEX authorized TA. She emailed us the upsell offer.

That was a great deal IMO!  Normally we pay $200-300 for a 7 day (same upsell cabins).  Of course things are slow right now, so perhaps that is why.