Is there a blind by infinite veranda doors?

ellsbells3032

12 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

No veranda, it's a room with an opening window.

Ever been in one BigAl or you like Pee and just complain endlessly at something you’ve never experienced?

Edited by Oville

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

Have the Beyond booked for January. Hoping the "third time is a charm" and they finally got this entire IV issue RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what are you expecting to be different? There's really nothing that can be done to substantially change what the IV is functionally EXCEPT to call it for what it is, an Oceanview cabin with a large picture window that opens. There have been some people speculating that they can 'turn an IV into a true Veranda' but that's impossible because the whole cabin is an interior space, and no amount or jury-rigging can turn an interior space to one that has a true outdoor space. Looking at it another way, if you left your patio sliders in your house open and put in another set of sliding doors five feet inside would that make the five feet of space into an outside weatherproof  room?  NO, it's just five feet of your Family room what you have exposed to the outdoors because you left the sliders open. Where will the rain go? Same thing with the IV cabin. 

11 hours ago, Steve H said:

Are there traditional balconies on the edge class ships?

Only in Suites. That's why we've booked Sky Suites on our 2 upcoming cruises on the Apex. The IV cabins are of no interest to us whatsoever. I prefer a real "outside" balcony, and don't want to have to fuss with all the issues discussed in this thread.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

11 hours ago, Steve H said:

Are there traditional balconies on the edge class ships?

The Sunset Verandas have traditional balconies.  There are also Porthole Verandas, far forward and aft that have a more traditional balcony, but it is not totally open - just a porthole opening.

• Like 1

Best thread on the Celebrity boards in years. You all forgot to mention birds and bugs. Can't count the number of times (while docked) that a seagull has would up on the railing of our verandah. Maybe we had room service out there (once on Century) and dropped some toast. Gulls can smell dropped food a mile away. Can you imagine one in your cabin? I can. How much fun would that be. 

Let's be honest, the IV stateroom which has been correctly identified on this thread as an outside stateroom with a window that opens, was a great marketing tool when first announced. In fact it still is for new cruisers who have never experienced an actual verandah and don't know any better. So it got X just what they wanted—new customers. And it means that anyone who is a long-time customer would either have to move to the suites or only continue to sail on the S or M class (which are FINE ships). 

We did the Galapagos on Flora last year and it was intersting that even when paying the arm and a leg (worth every penny) that it costs to sail on Flora, the traditional balcony staterooms sell out first. And by the third day of the cruise, those new cruisers (you get a lot of those on Galapagos) who are in the IVs are complaining like crazy. Especially when they want to open their verandah and leave the AC on. 

M, S and Flora on deck five for me. 

• Like 1

I've read a couple of conflicting statements regarding the AC in the Infinite Veranda Cabins. From firsthand experience, can anyone confirm that on the Apex the AC still works when the folding doors are closed and the window is down?

20 minutes ago, HBDave said:

I've read a couple of conflicting statements regarding the AC in the Infinite Veranda Cabins. From firsthand experience, can anyone confirm that on the Apex the AC still works when the folding doors are closed and the window is down?

The AC DOES NOT OPERATE with the window down. The Folding doors have NOTHING to do with anything. They are more like folding screens. They don't trigger anything, aren't airtight, no locking mechanism. Again they function more like an accordian screen room divider.

31 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The AC DOES NOT OPERATE with the window down. The Folding doors have NOTHING to do with anything. They are more like folding screens. They don't trigger anything, aren't airtight, no locking mechanism. Again they function more like an accordian screen room divider.

Thanks for the update....

Based on what you stated above, I would say the Veranda with the window down would be pretty much useless in any of the warmer cruise areas, which covers a lot of the cruises. I have held off on booking an Infinite Veranda until we were cruising in a cooler climate. Our first Infinite Veranda will be on a Transatlantic in October. Once Celebrity sells off the Millenium and Solstice Class Ships and assuming they keep building Edge Class Ships , we may have to consider another cruise line. Having to pay for a Suite or SV to get a real Veranda, does not make sense to me.  

Edited by HBDave
  • Like 2

Back when we were on one of the early edge sailings..which has now been a few years ago.... I recall that there was a setting on the control panel for something like 'green'.. and that the room was automatically set to that... so when you opened the IV window..the AC would cut off. As I recall if you turned that setting off..it stayed on. I do not know if that is still the case. We never tried it..but were told that this was the case when we were on the ship.

15 minutes ago, kearney said:

Back when we were on one of the early edge sailings..which has now been a few years ago.... I recall that there was a setting on the control panel for something like 'green'.. and that the room was automatically set to that... so when you opened the IV window..the AC would cut off. As I recall if you turned that setting off..it stayed on. I do not know if that is still the case. We never tried it..but were told that this was the case when we were on the ship.

I think you recollection is hazy. There's no setting where you can have the window down and the AC on. As I stated earlier the folding doors aren't airtight, so for energy conservation the ship wouldn't design the HVAC to operate with the windows down for the same reason the AC turns off when you have a traditional balcony door open.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I think you recollection is hazy. There's no setting where you can have the window down and the AC on. As I stated earlier the folding doors aren't airtight, so for energy conservation the ship wouldn't design the HVAC to operate with the windows down for the same reason the AC turns off when you have a traditional balcony door open.

You might be right, there was some kind of eco setting back in Dec '18, but I never tried it... I read later that you could change that to allow AC. So I don't have first hand experience...but did you notice if there was an eco or green setting on the control panel?

18 minutes ago, kearney said:

You might be right, there was some kind of eco setting back in Dec '18, but I never tried it... I read later that you could change that to allow AC. So I don't have first hand experience...but did you notice if there was an eco or green setting on the control panel?

Yes there was,but turning that setting off doesn't keep the AC on with the window open. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Yes there was,but turning that setting off doesn't keep the AC on with the window open. 

Do you have any idea on what the eco setting does? I am just curious.. if it doesn't allow the AC to stay on..what does it do?

After sailing on Edge, I better understand the "back and forth" on these threads. Just for the record, I will say that the cruisers who actually like the IV are not just new ones. 

We have sailed on every other Celebrity ship, always in a veranda stateroom.  I actually really liked our IV stateroom on Edge for a variety of reasons:

1. it's either bigger or feels bigger, by more than a little, 

2. it's got plenty of storage all nicely tucked away so the cabin never looks or feels cluttered,

3. the bathroom and even the shower is bigger--fantastic,   

3. the decor is very light & modern,

4. you can change or be in whatever level of undress you want in the stateroom (except when right against another ship) without closing the curtains because no one will be looking over the balcony,

5. it's so peaceful and quiet, no neighbor's music or laughter or loud conversations,  

6. you can enjoy the open "picture window" when you want & close it when you want the A/C to be on but you still want that expansive view that seems more open than on other Celebrity ships, probably due to the curtains,   

7. you can sleep with the window cracked open some so you hear the whisper of the waves, but not the roar (yes, that's definitely only applicable when it's in cool weather.) 

My husband and I tend to use the balcony together so the issues raised about being able to enjoy it while the other person sleeps behind those bulky Celebrity curtains on other ships would definitely be a problem otherwise.  But not for us, so we definitely will book it again, in cool weather.            

23 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

The Sunset Verandas have traditional balconies.  There are also Porthole Verandas, far forward and aft that have a more traditional balcony, but it is not totally open - just a porthole opening.

Thanks, I forgot about the SVs. 👍