Oosterdam cruises in Europe no longer show up on HAL website?

terrydtx

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

I just checked the HAL web site and this cruise is back on. Trieste is in brackets next to Venice & Santorini has been replaced by Nafplion, never heard of it. To bad as Santorini has been on our bucket list for years.

I see that, but the second half of the itinerary has changed. No Santorini, also on our bucket list, and now it shows Mykonos as a stop twice, one is replacing Santorini. Now we are in Istanbul on different days, this really screws us up as we had private tours there and in Santorini.  I see no reason why HAL would take Santorini out of the schedule. 

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

I just checked the HAL web site and this cruise is back on. Trieste is in brackets next to Venice & Santorini has been replaced by Nafplion, never heard of it. To bad as Santorini has been on our bucket list for years.

Our cruise also lost our stop in Crete and was substituted with another boring sea day, so now we have 2 stops in Mykonos and another sea day, and we lose the two bucket list stops of Santorini and Crete, the primary reasons we booked this 14 day itinerary.

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

We stopped at Nafplion on our last Greek cruise. It was a gem, a delightful town, not clogged by tourists. It has a castle you can climb to overlooking the town and the sea, a fortress you can visit on a nearby island, delightful walking streets with shops and restaurants, a terrific antiquity museum, and options for excursions to nearby tourist attractions included Corinth,  Mycenae with its ancients ruins, and Epidaurus's impressive Greek theater. On that same cruise we stopped at Santorini, which had been on our bucket list for years. Given a choice between the two, I would return to Nafplion for several days, rather than go back to Santorini.

Edited by Maya_C
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ski ww said:

Nafplion: we visited Nafplion 3 x. 3rd time because of port change. DH and I werd not disappointed at all. Very interesting excursions from Nafplion especially if you are interested in history and it is a very nice and walkable little port. 

Santorini: please check beforehand where the tender will bring you if you did not book an excursion. Sometimes you land at a very very little port with the only possibility to visit is by taking the cablecar or walk up stairs (uneven, be very very careful) or on mule back (accidents happen...).  Please see https://www.whatsinport.com/Santorini.htm 

10 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

We stopped at Nafplion on our last Greek cruise. It was a gem, a delightful town, not clogged by tourists. It has a castle you can climb to overlooking the town and the sea, a fortress you can visit on a nearby island, delightful walking streets with shops and restaurants, a terrific antiquity museum, and options for excursions to nearby tourist attractions included Corinth,  Mycenae with its ancients ruins, and Epidaurus's impressive Greek theater. On that same cruise we stopped at Santorini, which had been on our bucket list for years. Given a choice between the two, I would return to Nafplion for several days, rather than go back to Santorini.

Read your complete answer after sending my "comments". I absolutely agree with your conclusions. 

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

Nafplion: we visited Nafplion 3 x. 3rd time because of port change. DH and I werd not disappointed at all. Very interesting excursions from Nafplion especially if you are interested in history and it is a very nice and walkable little port. 

Santorini: please check beforehand where the tender will bring you if you did not book an excursion. Sometimes you land at a very very little port with the only possibility to visit is by taking the cablecar or walk up stairs (uneven, be very very careful) or on mule back (accidents happen...).  Please see https://www.whatsinport.com/Santorini.htm 

We would be a little happier if Nafplion had been substituted for missing Crete on our Aug 21 cruise, now we have a sea day added instead plus 2 stops in Mykonos. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We would be a little happier if Nafplion had been substituted for missing Crete on our Aug 21 cruise, now we have a sea day added instead plus 2 stops in Mykonos. 

I would wait to talk with HAL. That doesn't sound correct to stop at the same port twice on one cruise. Perhaps not all of the corrections have been made by IT. Seriously, substitute a different cruise if you are that displeased.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

I would wait to talk with HAL. That doesn't sound correct to stop at the same port twice on one cruise. Perhaps not all of the corrections have been made by IT. Seriously, substitute a different cruise if you are that displeased.

If the cruise is a "collectors" cruise made up of two shorter segments it is actually quite common to see a repeat port.  That is my guess as to what has happened in this case - One of the two shorter segments had Santorini and it has been replaced with Mykonos which was already on the other segment, hence the repeated port for the "collectors" cruise.

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

Making changes at this point in our trip is not possible, we have a cruise from Rome on Celebrity followed by a 7 day land tour in Italy and then this cruise, the cost to make changes in just the business class air would be over $1500pp and there are 4 of us traveling. When we booked this cruise last year it was only available as a 14 day cruise with no duplication of ports. This year HAL added a 7 day cruise which is the last 7 days of ours going from Athens to end in Venice, that segment now has the second stop in Mykonos as does the first 7 days of ours. Hal has also added a 19 day cruise that starts in Athens over our second seven days and then goes from Venice to Barcelona. I seriously doubt that the two Mykonos stops are a mistake.

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

If the cruise is a "collectors" cruise made up of two shorter segments it is actually quite common to see a repeat port.  That is my guess as to what has happened in this case - One of the two shorter segments had Santorini and it has been replaced with Mykonos which was already on the other segment, hence the repeated port for the "collectors" cruise.

That is exactly what happened the first Mykonos stop replaced Santorini and then we lost Crete totally for some reason to be replaced by an added sea day. When we booked last year it was not a "collectors" cruise, see my response above in post #27 about the progression of the events.

After cruising almost exclusively with HAL for the last 12 years, we are done after this cruise. 

Edited by terrydtx